home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Default How to Stay Warm in a Tent: trip report

Welcome to another camping trip report! The last two times Kenneth and I camped at Fort Wilderness, it was extremely hot! Last year we tried for a January trip but couldn't secure a campsite for the week we were coming down. We were able to get a site this time. We checked in yesterday and will be leaving Monday or Tuesday. The last couple of times we stayed in a full hook-up site (cable, electric, water, and sewage), but this week we are in a partial hook-up (everything but the sewage). We had faxed in our request five days before check-in asking to be near a comfort station, have a site that will accommodate a large tent, and be in the 1500 loop (as opposed to the 2000 loop - the other partial hook-up loop). The Fort was able to fulfill all of our requests, putting us two spots over from the comfort station. Here is the empty site:

We had been watching the weather forecast for Disneyworld pretty obsessively. We knew there would be some cool nights (dipping into the 40s), so we packed clothes for both warm and cool weather. We also had to think about how we would keep the tent warm. We had been planning this trip for a while, so we were prepared for some cold nights. The main thing we needed was a space heater. We brought a very simple heater that actually heated the inside of the tent pretty well.

We also brought some flannel sheets, an electric mattress pad, and electric blanket. The combination of these three makes the bed toasty warm! Here is the site with the tent set up:

The comfort station (bathrooms, showers, laundry) has been shown in past trip reports, but here are some pictures for anyone that may not have seen them before.

Sinks:

Toilets:

Showers:

I threw a shower mat in the floor of the shower:

sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Quellman
Grand Villa

Sounds cozy! Needs hot chocolate. Hope the trip is awesome!
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
sherryberry
Grand Villa

We didn't get a whole lot done yesterday because we were tired from the drive down. We left our house shortly after 5:00 am. This is how cold it was when we left:

When we got to Disney, this was the temperature:

We had perfect weather for setting up camp. We worked until it started to get dark, but didn't finish. All we got done was putting the tent up (with attachments) and getting that tied down. It was getting pretty cool and we were getting hungry. We also had some fastpasses booked at the Magic Kingdom that night. We were really craving the broccoli peppercorn salad from Columbia Harbour House. We walked into the Magic Kingdom at about 8:00 and grabbed a times guide. CHH closes at 9:00 and our fastpass for the Mine Train was from 8:00-9:00. We really didn't know if we could do both, but figured we would try. We got off of the Mine Train at about 8:30 and then high-tailed it over to CHH. We ordered our salads and sat down to enjoy our first Disney meal.

After eating, we rode the Haunted Mansion since it said 10-minute wait time (there was actually no wait). We browsed the Haunted Mansion gift shop - some cute things in there. And then we headed to the front of the park because we were really getting tired. We were able to watch some of the fireworks while waiting on the boat. When we got back to the tent, we immediately turned the heater on to high, and cranked up the mattress pad and blanket. In a short amount of time, the tent had warmed up a good bit. We turned the heater down before going to bed, but I left my side of the bed cranked up (Kenneth turned his down). I woke up hot during the night, even though the inside of the tent had cooled down significantly (we turned down the thermostat on the heater so there were times that it wasn't running). I turned down the controls for my side of the bed and got back in. I slept so hard after that - it must have been set at the perfect temperature! Here's a look at the jumbled mess of cords and controllers from the electric blanket and mattress pad (controls for each side of the bed):

Old 01-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
sherryberry
Grand Villa

We got up this morning and hit the showers pretty early (about 7:30 am) - I had the whole place to myself! After that we started setting up the rest of our campsite. Here's the inside of the tent:

Did you notice that we brought this with us again?

We usually put it outside the tent (in the garage attachment), but kept it inside this time due to the cooler weather.

Here's the rest of the site, after getting everything else set up:

Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post
Sounds cozy! Needs hot chocolate. Hope the trip is awesome!
Thank you! We had hot chocolate last night - really needed it when we first got in the tent!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
sherryberry
Grand Villa

We went to the Magic Kingdom this afternoon to have lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. This is the first time either of us has been here.

Pot roast:

Pilgrim's feast:

Ooey gooey toffee cake:

We plan on heading back to the Magic Kingdom tonight to ride a few things and then tomorrow we hill head over to Universal Studios. The rest of this trip report will probably be mostly pictures. I'll try to get some more pictures from around Fort Wilderness posted also!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Oh! I forgot to mention an issue we had on a past trip. We had set up some lights under our gazebo, but had a problem with all of the bugs it was attracting. We had talked about a bug light (I think KJJ had mentioned it also). So this time I went on the hunt for a light fixture to hang from under the gazebo. We got this work light and put a bug bulb in it.

We talked about taking the metal bowl off of it, but decided to leave it on so the light will be brighter.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Love that setup

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD13DD10
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
Love that setup
Thanks! It's a lot of work, though.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
MandKT5
One Bedroom

Some of my fondest memories as a child are camping at Fort Wilderness. I am so glad you are doing this trip report. I will make sure to show DW how nice everything is - maybe she'll agree to bringing the RV down soon.
Hope you have an awesome trip!
MandKT5 is offline   Reply With Quote