home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Default The Triple Split Overlapping Stay! Will it wreak havoc?

We have an upcoming triple split stay from late June-early July (a total of 13 days!).

Originally, this was going to be a split stay with BWV 1 bedroom followed by AKV 1br Savannah.

Now, we have two additional people joining us at two different points in the trip, so with some juggling around, we would up with this with me, DW, and DD names on all the reservations since we are the only 3 who are there the entire 13 days. Our parents will be on only two of the reservations since they are only there for part of the trip.

1 week June 21-28 BWV 1 bedroom
1 week June 27-July 4 BLT 1 bedroom (overlapping 1 night)
2 nights June 28-30 AKV 1 bedroom (overlapping 2 nights)

Why? Well, for June 27-30, we needed separate rooms. Why not just modify the week long reservations? Because both of those were RCI trades that my parents used their RCI account to trade INTO DVC for pennies on the dollar. We calculated that for their BLT room, they are paying the equivalent of about $3/point which both excites and irks me knowing how much I would pay in DVC points, lol.

Long story short, we have no problem with the split stays and since we get to try out some new properties that we haven't stayed at before and get to let our parents experience DVC by themselves for a few of those days, we're actually really happy about how it all turned out (especially the extra bathroom at AKV and BLT!). At the end of the day, we paid for all the airfare in points/miles and they paid for 2 weeks using their RCI account on cheap trade-ins. We only had to use DVC points on the 2 nights at AKV, so we saved a bunch of points!

Why the post? Well, after a few phone calls with DVC MS, we are officially paranoid about overlapping stays. We've gotten mixed reports that having our names on all the rooms (even the overlapping ones) will cause havoc on MagicBand, room key access, and possibly even FP+. We need to have our names on the rooms because we are moving to BLT the last 4 nights of their 1-week stay (after our AKV separate overlapping stay) and without it, we couldn't book FP+ in advance.

I've been told now that it *may* work fine, that it *may* cause all hell to break loose, and that it *may* cause some bands to work on rooms but not as tickets and vice versa. They said a few visits to the front desk *may* clear it up and that I *may* lose FP+ reservations when switching rooms.

Bottom line? They have no idea what will happen and said we will be a guinea pig for how overlapping and split stays work and to expect the best, but prepare for the worst (visits to concierge/tech support). They were very nice over the phone, but I'm not optimistic. I'm thinking I'm going to walk down a long, long hallway at AKV and then the room key won't work with a 1 1/2 year old in tow. Or that we will try to get into a park and it will be the wrong band or something. Or that Mickey will destroy us with his magical hat for daring to be on two reservations at once (the nerve of us!).

Anywho, vote if you'd like. Do you think MagicBand will go fail us for this overlapping triple split-stay or will everything run like it's supposed to?

Last edited by GiantsNiners11; 05-18-2014 at 09:36 PM.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I have faith but I am a hopeless optimist

On another note...just curious as to where your parents time share is as I thought it was very difficult for RCI members to trade into DVC I know it is a great deal for them, but usually DVC, from my understanding is not available.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
I have faith but I am a hopeless optimist

On another note...just curious as to where your parents time share is as I thought it was very difficult for RCI members to trade into DVC I know it is a great deal for them, but usually DVC, from my understanding is not available.
They have a variety of things from Hilton to RCI points to some obscure ones that I haven't heard of. I've helped them get the most of out of it and they enjoy their home resorts so who am I to complain? Getting trades for certain rooms if you have flexibility isn't too bad, but the key is being flexible and being okay with 1 bedroom units for a week (no flexibility on shorter/longer stays and/or studios or 2 bedrooms).

They were able to get two different trades, 1 for BWV and 1 for BLT. They also through back several other AKV, OKW, SSR, and even a BCV week. Crazy.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I think we are overlapping as We (me, DH, DS (13) DS (12) are going to be at BCV June 21-30th and then BLT June 30-July 2nd. It will be my first time at BLT (we were thinking about adding on there but I want to stay there first)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

I have faith, too, because I need a little similar magic myself! LOL

We have an oddly patched together stay coming up in a few weeks:
June 4-6 in 2BR at BWV
June 6-13 in 1BR at BWV (thru RCI)
June 6-11 in studio at BWV
June 11-12 in studio at BWV (separated from other studio reservation because this was gotten thru waitlist)

all Garden/Pool view

Me, DS, my dad and my mom are all named on all four reservations. As you can probably guess, we are hoping to stay in the same 1BR/studio combo we check into on June 4th (all 2BRs at BWV are lock-offs). We don't need the RCI room all the way until the 13th, so we'll be checking out a day early on that reservation.

I've talked to MS and non-MS CMs who all think that there should be no glitches on the MBs due to these overlapping reservations.
Aside from that, they all remind me that there's no guarantee that we'll get to stay in the same room, but all reservations have been notated, and I will ask again at check-in.

Fingers crossed and I will be sure to report back if anything DOES arise, just so you can be prepared for your own trip!

May 2019 BCV/VGF
June 2019 BWV/GF/VGF
Aug 2019 Celebrity Eclipse to Alaska
Oct 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise -- waitlist
Nov 2019 BLT
Jan 2020 AKL
June 2020 BLT/Disney Fantasy Southern Caribbean
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
I think we are overlapping as We (me, DH, DS (13) DS (12) are going to be at BCV June 21-30th and then BLT June 30-July 2nd. It will be my first time at BLT (we were thinking about adding on there but I want to stay there first)
It will be our first stay at BLT and BWV too. I'll post a live TR or do some sort of meet-up thread if it works out for a drink or something, maybe at the TOTW lounge.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
cincinmouse
Two Bedroom

I can't wait to read this trip report.

My issues are not this complex. Most of the Disney going public never changes hotels. But for DVC members it is quite common. I think they should make the system easier for us to use. It would be nice if you could have the option to separate your park life from your hotel life.

ME DW DS(20) DD(17) DTS(13) DTS
cincinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post

June 4-6 in 2BR at BWV
June 11-12 in studio at BWV (separated from other studio reservation because this was gotten thru waitlist)

all Garden/Pool view

Me, DS, my dad and my mom are all named on all four reservations. As you can probably guess, we are hoping to stay in the same 1BR/studio combo we check into on June 4th (all 2BRs at BWV are lock-offs). We don't need the RCI room all the way until the 13th, so we'll be checking out a day early on that reservation.

I've talked to MS and non-MS CMs who all think that there should be no glitches on the MBs due to these overlapping reservations.
Aside from that, they all remind me that there's no guarantee that we'll get to stay in the same room, but all reservations have been notated, and I will ask again at check-in.

Fingers crossed and I will be sure to report back if anything DOES arise, just so you can be prepared for your own trip!
Ohhh we almost did this exact same thing knowing all BWV 2-br are lock-offs. As it turned out, we got the BLT match the following week so we nixed that plan as my parents wanted to stay at BLT anyway. I'll send some pixie dust your way so you can at least get that 2-bedroom lock-off together and then some additional magic to make sure it all works with the bands.

Let me know if you can warn us of any possible glitches based on your experience.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
It almost doesn't matter where the other timeshare is, other than not in the Orlando area (can not trade into DVC if other property is within certain radius of WDW). If you have enough TPU (combining is almost always necessary) or points, and you set up your searches early (it does mean paying your maintenance dues and your RCI membership dues early, as well as shortening the window in which you can use your TPUs), you can trade into DVC if there's a match.

I want to add that OKW and SSR come up pretty often and are usually the last to get snapped up. I think it is a good use of lowly RCI points/TPUs if you ever come across that trade!

May 2019 BCV/VGF
June 2019 BWV/GF/VGF
Aug 2019 Celebrity Eclipse to Alaska
Oct 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise -- waitlist
Nov 2019 BLT
Jan 2020 AKL
June 2020 BLT/Disney Fantasy Southern Caribbean

Last edited by dvf_diva; 05-18-2014 at 10:00 PM.
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post

June 4-6 in 2BR at BWV

all Garden/Pool view

Friday night, a Thursday night at BLT became available for 5th night of our September stay. I booked it, then called DVC ms yesterday to ask to get the two reservations merged so I would not have to check in/out or trade rooms. It took a little doing on their end because of the points I had combined to make that trip work, but 5 minutes later problem solved and all nights were on one res.

Seems like DVC ms could at least combine the June 6-11 and 11-12 for you.

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote