home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Micah008
Grand Villa

Default Our Trip of Many Firsts - A Trip Report - Jan/Feb 2014

Table of Contents:
Day 1 - Travel / Villas at Grand Floridian / Hollywood Studios (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
Day 2 - Magic Kingdom (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
Day 3 - Magic Kingdom (Part 1) (Part 2)
Day 4 - Epcot / Magic Kingdom (Link)
Day 5 - Hollywood Studios / Animal Kingdom Villas / Epcot EMH (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
Day 6 - Downtown Disney / Animal Kingdom (Part 1) (Part 2)
Day 7 - Epcot / Animal Kingdom / Magic Kingdom EMH (Link)
Day 8 - Hollywood Studios (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
Day 9 - Magic Kingdom (Part 1) (Part 2)
Day 10 - Hollywood Studios / Travel (Link)

The Basic Plot:
We visited Disney World from Monday 1/27 through Wednesday 2/5 2014 (9 nights). We stayed at the Villas at the Grand Floridian (4 nights) and Animal Kingdom Villas (5 nights), were not on the dining plan (but did purchase Tables in Wonderland), and got Annual Passes (with the plan to use them again next January before the year is up).

We live in Wisconsin, and always have enjoyed going somewhere warm in the winter. We love WDW in January and February for the weather, low crowds, and value prices. Before having kids DW and I traveled to Jamaica a few times, went on a Cruise, and also took a few other winter trips, mostly around the US.

As the title implies, this trip was one of many new firsts for us as a family. Being our first trip as DVC owners we wanted to try some new things, and slow down our pace (a little) to enjoy our first time staying somewhere other than a Value resort. We also had many other firsts you can watch for throughout the report... from the first time Park Hopping, the first time for many of us on some rides (myself included), to the first time one of the kids got sick during a show.

The Cast:
Me: This was my 7th time to WDW (see signature). I have always really enjoyed planning our trips, and this time I also enjoyed the additional research on the DVC resorts and restaurants. One of my goals was to try to spend more time enjoying the atmosphere and trying some new things, rather than just rushing from ride to ride to do as much as we possibly could.

DW: She has been to WDW 8 times including this trip, plus one trip to DL growing up. She still doesn't enjoy the planning part as much as I do, but was happy to help contribute, and was really excited to stay in some new resorts and try some new restaurants. Her twin sister didn't join us this time, but we are already making plans to include her on the 2015 trip.

DS5: This was his 4th trip to WDW. Now in Kindergarten, he has grown up a lot since last year. Unfortunately he still wasn't quite tall enough to be able to do the 44" rides (he must be 43 7/8" inches tall), but he was much more willing to try new things (and do them multiple times) compared to last year. One of his main goals for this trip was to get autographs from characters, which we had never done before.

DS3: This was his 3rd trip to WDW, and his first time actually needing a ticket to enter the parks now that he is no longer considered an infant. He was only tall enough to do one new ride (Barnstormer), but seemed to enjoy things and remember things a lot more than last year. He also recently got glasses, and got lots of "aww, how cute" comments from Cast Members and other guests.

Some Past Trip Photos:

February 2004 trip: (just DW and I)

February 2010 trip: (DS5 was 1 (almost 2) at the time)

January 2012 trip: (DS3 was only 1 at the time)

January 2013 trip:

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Last edited by Micah008; 02-26-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
automaticsoap
One Bedroom

Looking forward to reading your TR!

DVC member since 2013 | BWV | VGF
automaticsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

me too! great pics, lovely family

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Micah008
Grand Villa

In case anyone is wondering, the 5th person in some of the pictures is DWs twin sister. She has come with us on the previous two trips (2012, 2013), but was not along this time. It was much harder to have her join us now that DS3 isn't considered in infant... since it would actually count as 5 people now. She will likely be joining us in 2015.

On past trips she was our photographer, t-shirt designer, and helped watch kids a few times. It was different not having her along, and she was sending us texts while we were gone so I am guessing she was sad to be stuck in Wisconsin this year too. We only took about 700 photos, where she took 3000 on the previous trip. And, in order to get an adult meal just the two of us without her along we had to use the Simba's Cubhouse (Childrens Activity Center), which the boys loved by the way.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Debbie in Seattle
Two Bedroom

continue please

Posted with my IPad 2
Debbie in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Off to a great start, looking forward to much more, especially the pictures.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Long trip! Can't wait to read more.
JerseyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Tagging along.....Looking forward to read about your firsts.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds great...can't wait for more. Thanks for sharing!

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-30 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-10, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Great start to a long trip! Beautiful family. Can't wait to hear more!

ME DH DS21 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote