home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Default Frank’s “Boardwalk Balcony Blues” Photo Trip Report

Hi, everyone…DW and I returned a week ago from a no-kids-allowed visit to Disney, and I’ve got almost 250 pictures to share with you. This report will be heavy on photos, and light on commentary. By the way, the reason I like to post in large font is because it’s easier for me to read the screen without my reading glasses…I promise I’m not yelling at anyone.

When: Sept 11th to Sept 14th
Where: Boardwalk Villas, Studio, Boardwalk View (sort of…)
Who: me and DW
Why: why not?

I’m sure that most MOs get the “don’t you get bored going to Disney all the time” question. My standard answer is that there is SO much to do there, that on each trip we end up doing several new things that we’ve never done before, and this trip was no exception.

On this trip we had a number of “firsts”: first time to visit the new bakery and ice cream shop in France, first time to ride the new Test Track, first time to see Figment, first (and last) time to see EO, first time to eat at Morocco, first time to see a pink scooter, first time to visit the ABC Commissary, first time to see the Indiana Jones show, first time to dine at the new-and-improved California Grill, first time to go to the Laugh Floor, first time to dine at BOG, and first time to dine at Kouzzina.

So, on with the pics (with minimal commentary interruption)…

Our “Boardwalk View” was not the view we were looking forward to, as you will soon see…here’s where the room is:

As you can see in the next photo, our balcony had this gigantic block that obstructed our view of the actual Boardwalk. We were REALLY looking forward to sitting (not STANDING!) out on our Boardwalk-View balcony and doing some people-watching, but alas, it would not happen...BUMMER.

However, all was not lost. If you are STANDING! on the balcony, this is what you get to see (but you can’t see jack-squat if you’re sitting):

…to be continued…
FrankPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

After getting settled (and unsuccessfully trying to change rooms to get a better view), we decided to head over to France for lunch. Along the way, we passed a wedding in progress (on a Wednesday???)

…to be continued…
Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

After enjoying lunch from the Patisserie (the ham croissants are NOT as good as they used to be), we headed over to ride Test Track, and I shot these on the way.

…and yes, here’s the Starbucks in Epcot…first time I’ve seen it there.

…to be continued…
Old 09-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

The kids had seen Journey Into Imagination on their last trip, so I thought I should too. I will reserve commentary on it because I haven’t yet decided if I like it or not.

Does anyone remember the thread I started a little while back, the “What is the WORST ride or attraction at Disney” thread? I said that Goofy’s Sky School (at DCA) is the worst. I hereby formally demote Goofy’s Sky School to the SECOND worst attraction at Disney. My new WORST attraction at Disney is now this:

This is a truly cringeworthy show. DW said on the way out that she “felt violated” in some way but couldn’t figure out exactly what it was, and I agreed. It made us both embarrassed to have been teenagers in the 80s because now our generation will be permanently associated with the incredible cheesiness of this type of show. Captain EO is the lamest, stupidest, most worthless waste of time at Disney. I want my money back.

After EO, we wanted to see what Sum of All Thrills was about…we saw it, but didn’t ride.

Does anyone know what they use this building for, besides restrooms?

…to be continued…
Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Time to stroll back to BWV via World Showcase.

At the Italy pavilion, they had this famous Italian mask maker doing his thing:

And you can see they have Morocco walled up for the construction they’re doing on the waterfront:

…and in the Morocco pavilion, there was this girl doing henna tattoos:

Here’s the late-afternoon view from our balcony (STANDING!, not sitting…):

Looking over the gigantic view-blocking ledge on our balcony, I saw these two guys setting up the Midway games…they looked really bored.

Night was beginning to fall; here are a couple more shots:

This is the fitness center at Boardwalk Villas…

…to be continued…
Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Interesting decision to white out faces? Reminds me of a Dr. Who or Torchwood episode.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Time to head over to Epcot for dinner. We ended up having great service at the Tangerine Café – those guys were really nice, and the food was great.

Along the way, we saw this magician performing for a small crowd on the Boardwalk:

…to be continued…
Old 09-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPhillips View Post

Does anyone know what they use this building for, besides restrooms?

…to be continued…
The Odyssey used to be a restaurant. Now it's used for special events. I believe in the spring they also were doing the conversion of mag strip paper AP's to the RFID AP's at that location.

First Aid is there as well.