home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Default Photo TR from the Del Coronado (looks like GF!)

Hi, MouseOwner friends. I understand that this TR won't get much traffic because it's a sub-trip report, but I'm posting anyway because 1) I took BooCoo photos there (that's french for "a lot of pictures"), and 2) you can use your points through RCI to stay there, and 3) it's my 2nd favorite place to vacation (hmmm...guess which is #1?). If I could live in Coronado, CA..... I would.

As you probably know, I am an avid photographer and I take several cameras with me on each trip to get tons of shots. So there won't be a whole lot of commentary, except to explain various photos, so here goes:

The Hotel Del Coronado, aka "The Del", is in Coronado CA. Coronado is not an island, but functions like one, so most people refer to it as "the island". It's actually a peninsula that sticks up to the northwest from extreme southern California. If you google "Hotel Del Coronado" you'll see where it is.

The reason "The Del" matters to YOU, my fellow MouseOwners, is because the Grand Floridian was modeled after it. When you see my photos of "The Del" you'll think you're looking at the GF.

Here's the Del in daytime...from the perspective of what you would see when you drive up to it:

...and here's The Del at dusk from the beach (more about the beach later):

Here is the view of the beach from one of the rooms at The Del:

When we were there, I spotted a wedding taking place down on the beach. In the background you can see an industrial ship. Those islands are actually part of Mexico, and they have an interesting military history....more on that later.

...and here is your tour guide (me) waving from a balcony while shooting pics. For you gearheads out there, I'm holding a Nikon D600 with a 28-300 VR lens. I also took the Sony RX1, the Panasonic GX1 with a 7-14/f4 wide zoom, and my old faithful Sony TX10 for video. My DD14 took her Canon G1 X and she shot this photo of me.

The night we arrived they were roasting s'mores on the beach (like they do at my beloved BLT...), and this is what The Del looked like from the beach:

.....to be continued....

FrankPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

"The Del" Photo TR Continued....

Here is the exclusive (translation: I couldn't go there...) Windsor club at The Del...for local "members" of the Del or for those staying in the super duper Del Beach Villas (and yes, I'd love to have a share in that timeshare, but it's $2 million for 25% ownership in one unit).

...but the Del Beach Villas are gorgeous...here's the entrance at night:

The next morning - and that ship is still there. See the two islands? Legend (or perhaps fact) is that during WWII one of our honchos wanted to do some long range target practice with his battleships, so he fired on them. Only problem is....they're Mexico's islands. I think they got that cleared up cleanly because they were supposedly uninhabited. History buffs can feel free to correct me if I heard wrong.

Turning to the west a little bit, you can see Point Loma. This is the other peninsula in extreme southern California that extends down from San Diego along the Pacific. You can drive down to the end and get a good view of Coronado from there, but here is the view from Coronado to Point Loma:

...to be continued....
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

"The Del" Photo TR Continued....

Here's a quick tour of The Del. This is from the steps of Babcock & Story overlooking the beach yard, and you can see Point Loma in the extreme background:

Here is the entrance to 1500 Ocean, which is the upscale restaurant at The Del. It used to be called "Prince of Wales" because of the history of the Del, if you've seen the movie "The Kings Speech". The heir to the English throne gave it up to marry his love, and they spent a considerable time at The Del. Keep in mind that the Del was established in 1888. My DW and I dined at "Prince of Wales" in 1999....and this is what it is now.

Here is the entrance to the Spa and fitness center at the Del:

"under" the Del, (the beach level) there are tons of charming shops. Here are two shots from the hallway of the shops:

I mentioned that the Hotel Del Coronado was established in 1888. The reason for the gold ribbon on the turret (see below) is that this year is the 125th anniversary of "The Del":

Here is one view of the pool at The Del:

The Del is also popular for small conventions and corporate meetings. Can you imagine being in a meeting in this room, and not being distracted by the view???

Here's an iconic shot. It's the corner entrance to The Del from Orange Avenue:

....to be continued....
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Minniesota
Grand Villa

It looks beautiful! My husband and I had the opportunity to go there once but cancelled last minute and spent Christmas at the Grand Californian instead.

Thank you for the pictures!
Minniesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesota View Post
My husband and I had the opportunity to go there once but cancelled last minute and spent Christmas at the Grand Californian instead.
I can't say you made a bad decision.... I love the GC!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Beautiful pictures, Frank! Thanks for sharing.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
tinkerbell101
One Bedroom

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful place!

tinkerbell101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

I am loving this!!! First of all your pics, as always , are stunning. Second, I am a SDSU alum and lived in San Diego for 6 years. Funny, I never heard it called 'The Del', but rather we referred to it as Hotel Del.

Another interesting tidbit about Coronado is that it was the home to Orville Redenbacher, the popcorn magnate.

Looking forward to more, as always............

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD13DD10
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
dsnygrl
Grand Villa

Beautiful photos! I've always loved that hotel since its featured in one of my favorite movies "Some Like It Hot". It's definitely on my to-do list some day!

Finally! dsnygrl's birthday trip
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84582

All Keyed Up-A Birthday Surprise!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92138
Home Sweet Home! Proud Owner of BLT
dsnygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
NonnyMouse
Two Bedroom

It does look like the GF! I'm impressed at the beauty!

NonnyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote