home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Default The Ottawa Family January 2013 Trip to Boardwalk Villas

Crew: me - OttawaWendy, OM - OttawaMum, my wife (who may also post here), OB - OttawaBoy, our son who was 21 months old during this trip

Duration: 2 weeks. We got direct flights from Air Canada which only has directs on Saturdays, so that determined our vacation length

Resort: BWV, standard view. We were amazed to get a 1 bedroom standard view at 7 months for the full two weeks. This was only our second stay at this resort, and our first in this view category.

Plan: not much. We rented a car, intended to buy groceries, and didn't have many ADRs. We were largely going to play it by ear.

We left on Saturday, January 5. Our flight wasn't until about 5:00 in the afternoon, which meant slightly less angst while packing on Friday night. No matter how much planning we do, packing always leads to fights.

Air Canada is now charging for checked baggage on North American flights. So we packed two large bags for the three of us (that's a feat given that OB uses cloth diapers, but that's what washing machines are for) to check. In addition, we had OB's car seat (we get him a seat on the plane, so this is not checked) which rides on a little trolley, a carry on backpack with clothes food and small diaper kit for OB, another carry on bag (extra stuff), a stroller and a carrier for OB. Oh, and this...

This is a wedge that fits inside a pack and play which keeps OB on an angle when sleeping. It is a medical device and we gate check it (like a wheelchair) to ensure it cannot be separated from him. We've had a lot of hell travelling with this. OB was born with a birth defect and needs angled sleep.

So, one of the challenges of flying to the US is that from the point of checking in, we then go through customs (in Canada) and enter a quasi-US area. From check in to customs, we aren't allowed to have a trolley, and we have to carry all this stuff.

I think this is how it went:

Me: small backpack on back, pulling one large suitcase, pushing car seat with sleeping wedge precariously balanced on it

OM: pushing stroller with OB in it, wearing second carry on bag, pulling one large suitcase

Anyway, we drop off large suitcases, go through the security part, then go through customs. No particular problems. We took turns going to the bathroom and watching the stuff. OB found a children's play area and that was OK.

The flight was fine, except OB was crying most of the time. He fell asleep on the descent. No, I'm not kidding.

On arrival in Orlando we gathered all of our stuff, and basically carried all of it the same way as in the Ottawa airport, because trolleys cost way too much. We picked up our car from E-Z car rentals. They sent us to the other side of the airport (after checking in at the counter) to actually pick up the car. That was irritating. They did give us a free upgrade (appreciated) and the rate was quite good. They wanted to charge us for the second driver since we "weren't married", but fortunately we anticipated this problem and were able to produce a copy of their own policies from the website which says they will not charge for the second driver for a second adult in the same home.

Driving to WDW was no problem at all.

In general, I would say that our experience was that ME would have been easier and quicker. However we did have the advantage of being able to go to sleep directly because we didn't need to wait for our bags to be delivered.

All other days will have a much better ratio of words to photos, I promise!

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
PAJD
Grand Villa

Looking forward to the TR Wendy. I know there was a lot of anticipation leading up to the trip, wondering where to stay the first night, car, groceries, etc...

Nice to have 2 weeks there. It's always difficult navigating airports with the extra stuff. Sometimes you see celebrities at airports that have people doing all that for them. I wish it was easier for families travelling. Some airports are more helpful than others. Surprisingly, Philadelphia is pretty good. San Fran - they couldn't care less.

That's one cute kid you have there!

MOD 122
PAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

Your son is adorable Looking forward to pix!

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2020**
**Boardwalk Feb. 2020**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly, & DRR
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
disneyfreak89
Grand Villa

Been looking forward to this trip report ever since you announced you were taking it 7 months ago!

OB is adorable! Can't wait for the rest of the report/pictures!

2016 Post Stroke Trip Report

Honeymoon '89 - OFFSITE 1990 - FW; 1992 - Dixie Landings; 1996 - FW; 1999 - FW/CSR; 2001 - Dixie Landings;
2003 - FW; 2005 - POFQ/ POR; 2006 - Pop; 2007 - Pop/CBR; 2008 - SSR/OKW; 2009 - Pop/CSR; 2010 - VBR/WL/Pop; 2018 - POR

2011 - SSR/BWV/AKV; 2012 - SSR/BWV/VBR/HHI; 2013 - POR/SSR; 2014 - OKW/BCV; 2015 - SSR; 2016 - Pop/SSR/AKV

Last edited by disneyfreak89; 02-08-2013 at 02:29 PM.
disneyfreak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Default Sunday, January 6

We hadn't yet been shopping for groceries, so we woke and went to the Buffeteria at the Swalphin. Good food, inexpensive:

We then went to DHS by boat from the Swalphin. We went to Playhouse Disney, although I don't have a great photo of this:

He was pretty interested. We had been preparing by putting the shows on the PVR and watching them so he recognized the music. This show was closed later in the vacation so I'm glad we got there.

I feel that we also went to Star Tours (well, I went) while OM did something else, but I honestly can't remember.

Later we went grocery shopping, and OB fell asleep in the car. I offered to drive around with him to keep him asleep and OM carried all the groceries up to the room. I found a sports station and listened to the Wild Card weekend games and drove around a lot (including driving around Celebration, which I'd never done before). We had a plan to meet about 5:00.

OM met me and OB and said she was going to walk back to DHS with him. I went back to the room and watched football.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

very cute kid!

sounds like a good trip so far
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

I'm in I've been wondering how all the planning worked out.

Good catch on the car rental policy-I love knowing their rules better than they do .

Will OB always need the wedge, or will it be something he'll grow out of?
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
suejen
Grand Villa

OB is adorable!! Love the red hair.
Are you guys snowed in today? Great opportunity to start your TR. Looking forward to the rest.
suejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
5DisneyFans
Grand Villa

Oh my goodness! Look at the huge eyes on your adorable little peanut!

So happy for you both

The Good, The Bad and the Extremely Sweaty 6/2011 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54835
First cruise success and failure 3/2012 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64677
Adults Only F&W trip 9/2012 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70803
7 teens, 4 Adults, 1 Grand Villa over NYE and we lived!_2014 http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86675

5DisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
TikiTwinsMom
Grand Villa

I can't believe how much OB has grown, Wendy! He's adorable! Looking back, it's amazing how much stuff we schlepped around when the kids were toddlers. You and OM will get there eventually, too. Looking forward to more!

Walt Disney World visits: 37 since 1986
Disneyland visits: 5 since 2003
Disneyland Paris visits: 1 since 2009

Aulani visits: 1 since 2012
ABD trips: 2 since 2013
TikiTwinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote