home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Default Frank's Ton 'O Photos TR from BLT New Years

The Phillips’ New Years Eve 2012-2013 Photo Trip Report

As usual, I have TONS of photos to post in this TR (around 170 of them), so since a picture is worth a thousand words, I’ll let them do most of the talking. I will have a few comments, a couple of questions, and the predictable RANT here and there, so here goes…

Who: Me, DW, DS, DD#1, DD#2, DM, DMIL
When: December 31st through January 4th
Where: Bay Lake Tower 2BR (Dedicated), Lake View, 12th floor
My Cameras: Sony NEX-6 and NEX-5N with 16-50, 70-210, and 16mm with wide adapter, and the obligatory iPhone 4s

We had to get up early to make the 7:10AM flight from BHM to MCO, but doing so enabled us to have almost a full day at Disney the first day. As we were approaching Orlando, I got this shot out of the window – this was the first time we have ever been in a position to see BLT and Epcot from the plane.

We arrived at BLT around 10:30 after a stop at Publix and (of course) our room was not yet ready so we parked all of our stuff there with Bell Services. Here’s the lobby:

It’s New Year’s Eve day, so we figured we’d better get over to Epcot in order to be able to have a good lunch at France Patisserie (I wasn’t about to set foot in the MK that day…). So we hopped the Monorail and waited in crushing lines to get in, but finally got there. Needless to say, it was really crowded, although it may not look that way in some of my pictures.

Here’s where it gets bad (crowded). Take a look at the line coming out of the Patisserie; it went past where I was standing to get the photo and continued down the side of Chefs de France where you can look in the windows. …And I used to think a line 6 feet outside of the Patisserie door was bad…wow!

But of course it was worth the wait. My mouth is watering just looking at the selection again.

Now for some more pictures of the crowds. Mind you, this is around 2:00 PM or so, so it’s not gotten nearly as bad as it will ultimately get around 5:00.

As we were leaving to board the Monorail to go back to BLT, they had CMs “policing” the Monorail entrance and would deny access to anyone who could not produce a KTTW card because the Magic Kingdom was in “stage 2” shutdown at that point.

TO BE CONTINUED as my schedule permits…

Last edited by FrankPhillips; 08-28-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: TR is now complete
FrankPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Jay324
Grand Villa

Awesome photos Frank and the timing couldn't be better. We are leaving for BLT (6 nights) on Tues.

Looking forward to reading and seeing more of your great photos.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks, Frank, looking forward to it, of course. Always enjoy your amazing pictures.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

The Phillips’ New Years Eve 2012-2013 Photo Trip Report (continued…)

I think we’re all pretty excited about the new Villas of Grand Floridian. Here’s how things look at this stage of the game:

Our room was now ready, so we walked up the “skywalk” (as I like to call it) that joins Contemporary 4th floor to BLT 5th floor. Here’s the view looking over Bay Lake:

And here is what our view looked like from the room:

I used my 70-210mm telephoto to get these…I particularly like the Monorail shot.

TO BE CONTINUED as time permits…
FrankPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Great pictures! Thanks for taking the time to share!
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
SevenSeasGirl
One Bedroom

Your pictures are terrific! Can't wait to see more.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

WOW.....Great photos Frank!!! I really want a good camera or at least learn how to use DW Nikon 5100. Your pictures are amazing

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD13DD10
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
beansprout
Grand Villa

Thanks for labeling the pics. I never thought to look for the Tree of Life from Bay Lake Towers.
beansprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
cheyenne
Add-on Aficionado

Great pictures! I really like your monorail shot too. I thought the Christmas crowds were bad, but holy moly your NYE Epcot shots!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

Frank, I love TR's, but this is the Lexus' of TR's. As for those crowds, thats a perfect example of why I have NO business at WDW during xmas or nye.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote