home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Eric
Administrator

Default May Economics, Politics, Religion, and Healthcare Thread

I'll kick things off:

Tea Party, hypocrites: (totally shocking, I know).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...t-bankers.html

Quote:
Tea Party favorites such as Stephen Fincher of Tennessee were swept into Congress on a wave of anger over government-funded bailouts of banks.

Now those incumbents are collecting thousands of dollars for re-election campaigns from the same Wall Street firms whose excesses they criticized. They have taken no significant steps to curb them or prevent future taxpayer-financed rescues.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpereira View Post
Bullshit.
70 years is the wait for a visa for an engineer from southeast Asia. 22 years for a nurse from the Phillipines.
When you hang a prize 20 feet out of anyone's reach you can't complain that they chose not to claim it.

My husband's brother. Masters degree in nanotechnology. Applied 3 times to come here. Applied once to Japan- got a work visa, a company assignment, and a plane ticket in a couple months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
That is not true. I have watched the graduate nurses get off of their chartered busses that they took from their chartered plane to the exam.
Hundreds of them. So many were coming to get their U.S. license the nursing
boards now allow the GN's to test in the Phillipines.
These are young girls, 21-25 years old. Their mother would have had to apply for them while still in the womb.
I have worked with a lot of Phillipino nurses and getting a green card was not difficult for them. Not at all.
I'm calling this one "pants on fire."

Filipina Nurses See Long Visa Delays Despite Nursing Shortage

Quote:
Yet, despite the American nursing shortage, so many Filipino health care workers—even those with promised jobs—are caught in an effective freeze on U.S. work visas -- there is a seven year waiting period for admittance to the U.S.

According to Philippine Embassy Labor Attaché Luzviminda Padilla, “There is still a shortage of health care professionals, but whether or not these shortages will be filled by Filipinos, we cannot tell because currently we are experiencing difficulty in obtaining releases of visas for Filipino nurses and other caregivers.”
A bit of a Google search will show that there is a problem with Visa retrogression for nurses from the Philippines. (Due to the nursing shortage in the US, the Philippines is generally a go-to place for nurses due to their US style training and healthcare).

Lpereira, in my reading there was a mention that a Visa has to be available at the time of application and again at the time of adjudication. Does this mean that if someone applies for a Visa, they can then be told at adjudication that it was taken away due to change in quotas or some other reason? That certainly speaks to the Byzantine problems with our immigration system.

In general, most other countries have far more progressive and easier to manage guest-worker programs than we have. Even Bush II tried to introduce guest-worker visas (and I think McCain supported him), but typical xenophobic screaming killed that.

Regarding Sweden, somebody mentioned in the April thread that Canada and Sweden don't have Mexico on their border. Well, I can't speak for Canada (Wendy can), but the reading I did on Sweden does make clear that there is a high immigration into Stockholm. The difference is that the culture and governmental policies are based on quickly integrating immigrants into Swedish society and norms. In other words, they're a bit better at the melting-pot than we are.

Dirk

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 05-01-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Regarding Sweden, somebody mentioned in the April thread that Canada and Sweden don't have Mexico on their border. Well, I can't speak for Canada (Wendy can), but the reading I did on Sweden does make clear that there is a high immigration into Stockholm. The difference is that the culture and governmental policies are based on quickly integrating immigrants into Swedish society and norms. In other words, they're a bit better at the melting-pot than we are.

Dirk
To be fair, Canada does not have the illegal immigration problem you do. We don't have a long border with a refugee seeking country (except when you activate your draft ). We have lots of refugees, but they have to apply somewhere else, and we have lots of immigration.

I don't think this is necessarily something that the US can hang its hat on to justify increased spending. Every country makes decisions that cost money, or has features that cost money (i.e. Canada has a very remote north that costs lots of money to manage/run/govern).

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry

OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"

Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR
March 2010 - HHI
December 2010 - Kidani
January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months)
November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Dirk
Dirk, I interpret that differently. The Sweede's work on assimilation into THEIR culture ..in other words, they are expected to start acting Sweedish, not keep their own traditions and language...

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010
Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
cardaway
Add-on Aficionado

Of course there are many exceptions, but the key to me is that thousands routinely go through a process that allows them entry in to the US legally. And given that, there should be very little excuse to not do so legally.

Anybody that states there isn't a very workable process in the US is the one wading waist deep in it. Just because it doesn't work for everybody, exactly on their time table, doesn't mean it does't work for others each and every day.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Eric
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post
Of course there are many excpetions, but the key to me is that thousands routinely go through a process that allows them entry in to the US legally. And given that, there should be very little excuse to not do so legally.
You're just trolling, right?

If there's no enforcement, no penalty, relatively little risk, and tons of money to be made, people are going to break the law.

This applies to fracking companies, banks, the guy stealing the change jar off the Starbucks counter, and people immigrating illegally.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
cardaway
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You're just trolling, right?

If there's no enforcement, no penalty, relatively little risk, and tons of money to be made, people are going to break the law.
Don't disagree with any of that. Geez...
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Eric
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post
Don't disagree with any of that. Geez...
So why do you say "And given that, there should be very little excuse to not do so legally. "

People aren't driven by what's "legal".
Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Sir Aaron
Grand Villa

Ok, ok. My point wasn't to get into a debate over immigration policies. My point was that you have to keep in mind immigration differences when you compare governmental systems. Because if they are here (illegal immigrants), and you give a benefit, you'll probably wind up giving it to them too. Or maybe you wont. But either way, you have to account for it.

Last edited by Sir Aaron; 05-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Sir Aaron
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'll kick things off:

Tea Party, hypocrites: (totally shocking, I know).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...t-bankers.html
I know how much you'll love this so I couldn't resist.