home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
PecosBill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presley View Post
Slightly off topic, but my daughter recently found out why so many of the darker rides are closed so often.

She was on Peter Pan and the group either before or after her were smoking pot on the ride. She was overwhelmed by the smoke and the stench. She said when they got off the ride, the ride was shut down and the employees were telling people that the ride was closed and they didn't know when it would reopen. Later, she saw some other employees carrying large fans and leafblowers over to the ride.

I imagine that Pirates is a good ride to smoke dope on if you have some dumb ass reason for needing to that on a ride in a family park. That is most likely the reason why the ride has so many temporary closures, as well as the other darker rides.
You also have to watch out for ride closings where they bring in the Hepa Vacuums.

http://mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11584
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
PecosBill
Grand Villa

A new park could be something as simple as a waterpark or mini-golf course.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
onehecticmom
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushturtle View Post
I had heard that they were going to open a park that would interest teenagers to complete with Universal.
I would think bigger coasters would take care of that. DD13 would be interested in Universal Studios for the big coasters & a trip to Harry Potter, but only as a side trip. Disney is still her main attraction.

2009 - ASMovies
2010 - CBR
2011 - BLT (our first trip HOME)
2012 - OKW
2012 - BCV
2012 - BLT
2013 - AKV
onehecticmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
affableolive
One Bedroom

I may be alone on this but if they built a Marvel park I'd be disappointed. Yes, Disney owns Marvel, but do I think of it as Disney? No.

Quote:
Rapunzel would have a much bigger space for starters (and a souvenir stand).
I heard they pulled the majority of her stuff, only so they can re-relase it in January. We didn't see a lot of Princess stuff at all while we were there. Outside of the MK it was very hard to find.

affableolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
There has been discussions/reports about how Disney doesn't compete with the male teenager group, so that may make sense. However, my boys have been to both parks, grew up with Disney and prefer Disney to Universal any day.
Universal does not compare to Disney. They just don't do it right.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
Dizzney
Two Bedroom

We did our first trip to Universal last summer, and while my kids including DS20, his girlfriend (also 20) and my 12 year old twins thoroughly enjoyed Harry Potter, our stay of 2 nights was enough, they were glad to get to Disney for 8 nights. They felt alot of it was old and how many coasters can you go on?

we all prefer WDW though we would like more attractions tehre and the Yeti fixed.

Proud Owner at Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Dizzney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
cardaway
Add-on Aficionado

Yes, Marvel isn't really Disney. Same goes for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Muppets, The Twilight Zone... Sooner we take them out, the better, right?

And personally I find Universal's work in the last couple decades to be far superior than Disney's work during the same period. In the case of the Mummy and Potter, they even seem to be able to theme a thrilling coaster much better than Disney.
cardaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #28
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

I am a serious thrill ride lover so would love a true Marvel park with 7 or 8 thrill coasters....

Having said that I would prefer they:

EPCOT
add more countries to EPCOT and complete the world showcase, update the existing attractions in World Showcase (for gods sake at least update the movies in Canada and France and add something in Germany that tells me about the country!!!!), Add new rides to Soarin (make one side California and the other side somewhere else...maybe Africa, or South America!!!), So something with the dead space that is Innoventions, Do something with Ellen's Energy Location so it is relevant, same with the empty building where the child care center (I think it would make a great Restaurant). And that is just EPCOT...

MK
First, I like the new Fantasy land Expansion, at least on paper and it looks like it is bringing a new dining option in Be Our Guest. But Stitch HAS TO GO!. Turn the race track into Electric cars!. Make IASM and POTC the equal of their California counterparts! And I know SM just had a refurb, but man, it is the roughest track I have ever been on....

AK
Get rid of Dinoland. Period. It does not belong. Fix EE Yeti. I wait to see Avatar land... Move Nemo and Lion King shows to DD (see later)

DHS

Has the most potential to add and use Marvel if you ask me. Build another coaster or 2 here. Improve some quick serve options. move the Disney Junior stuff to MK and make this your teen park.

DD

It is DEAD. I do not even feel the need to visit it in a 8 day visit last week. Nothing there. Virgin is gone. lots not there anymore..so..change it. Build on what you have done with Cirque De Soliel and make this the Broadway of the South. Host a real Lion King Broadway musical, Host a real Nemo Broadway Musical. Make it a upscale late night hotspot (I say upscale because that will keep the drunk teens out). AND BRING BACK ADVENTURERS CLUB!!

Only when all that is done should they consider a new park...

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
Dizzney
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post
Yes, Marvel isn't really Disney. Same goes for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Muppets, The Twilight Zone... Sooner we take them out, the better, right?

And personally I find Universal's work in the last couple decades to be far superior than Disney's work during the same period. In the case of the Mummy and Potter, they even seem to be able to theme a thrilling coaster much better than Disney.
I think decades is a bit too much, maybe the last two-three years with Potter in place. The technology there is far superior to what Disney has but the rest of Universal is not, and rather lacklust and old in my opinion. We had fun but its not themed as well as WDW, WDW has it hands down for the way its mapped out for ease in getting around, but WDW needs to step it up and use the technology obviously avaialble with HP at WDW

Proud Owner at Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Dizzney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #30
PecosBill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
Having said that I would prefer they:

EPCOT
add more countries to EPCOT and complete the world showcase, update the existing attractions in World Showcase (for gods sake at least update the movies in Canada and France and add something in Germany that tells me about the country!!!!), Add new rides to Soarin (make one side California and the other side somewhere else...maybe Africa, or South America!!!), So something with the dead space that is Innoventions, Do something with Ellen's Energy Location so it is relevant, same with the empty building where the child care center (I think it would make a great Restaurant). And that is just EPCOT...
Don't forget the abandoned wonders of life pavilion. And the abandoned Imageworks (upstairs in the imagination pavilion).