home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Default Beerfan and sherryberry - BLT, VB, OKW

Who: Kenneth (beerfan) and Sherry (sherryberry)

Where: Bay Lake Tower 9/6 - 9/9, Vero Beach 9/9 - 9/13, Old Key West 9/13

Well, here we are for our after-Labor Day vacation. We have annual passes that expire on 9/12, so we decided that we would spend a few days in the World before heading to Vero Beach. We checked into BLT this evening around 6:30 pm. This is much later than we're used to checking in, but we had to go to Sugar Hill, Georgia to drop off the world's cutest dog, Buzz, for his boarding reservation. Here's Buzz:

He'll be getting groomed while he's there, so when we pick him up, he should look like this:

Since we were leaving on a Tuesday morning (right after a holiday) at around 9 am, we hit rush-hour traffic on I-85 and I-285. This always makes me a nervous wreck. I'm actually surprised that there's not a hole in the floor, on the passenger side, because I hit my brake a lot over there. Our drive was pretty uneventful, and we rolled onto Disney property a little after 6 pm.

We went over to the Contemporary to check in, and of course our room was ready. The girl at the counter (Jamie) gave us our room number, and Kenneth asked her if it was inside the C or outside. Turns out, it was inside, on the 7th floor. We had that view in January when we stayed here - a view of the pool and a lot of other rooms. Kenneth asked if there was any way we could have a room on the outside. Jamie said she could make a phone call and see if she could change that. She got off the phone and told us our room is now facing the marina and EPCOT.....and is on the 14th floor! Yay! Here is our room (lake-view studio):

sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Have a great trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Here's the view from our room. Straight out:

Down below:

To the left:

To the right:

When we stayed here in January, our bathroom sink was by the kitchen area. This time, the bathroom sink is in the bathroom (I guess all of the studios are like that now). I'm not too crazy about it because there's not much counter space now (around the bathroom sink). I like to throw all of my crap all around the sink, but I can't do that now. I don't even see a towel rack for the hand towel. Here's the sink in the bathroom:

Around the corner, there's a spare counter (with a mirror on the wall) in the kitchen area.

I'm using that to store food. I guess this setup works for most people and there's no way to really please everyone....I just wish the counter in the bathroom ran along the whole wall.

After arriving so late, we decided we just didn't have the energy to go to a park, and we were hungry. So we got some Taco Bell and ate in the room, before watching Illuminations from the balcony. We were also able to watch the electric water pageant. It's so nice and cool out, that we're able to just chill on the balcony late at night.

Our plans for tomorrow are to head over to Port Orleans to have some beignets for breakfast and then hit EPCOT. Good night!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Have a great trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Thanks, Brian!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
MinnieMae
Studio

Wow, the rooms look a little tight. We are going to try BLT this Oct. for the first time it's a good thing we don't have the kids along! Hopefully it's just the angle of your pictures.

Trips:
July 2012 - OKW
March 2013 - OKW
Nov. 2013 - AK
May 2014 - AK
MinnieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
pacman
Grand Villa

Can't wait for more. Enjoy your trip.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
kapeman
Grand Villa

Looking forward to the rest of the report.

I hope beer is involved!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
janet1106
Add-on Aficionado

Sherryberry and beerfan enjoy your trip. Great 14th floor lake view.
Would love to see a picture of the cutest dog in the world Buzz after the trip too.

OKW(1994/1999), BLT(2008), AKV(2010) & Poly (2015)

Read "Goofy About Disney" Blog
janet1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Off to a nice start.

Seventh floor at BLT sounds nice. In three visits, the highest I have received is the 4th floor.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
sherryberry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMae View Post
Wow, the rooms look a little tight. We are going to try BLT this Oct. for the first time it's a good thing we don't have the kids along! Hopefully it's just the angle of your pictures.
I'll be honest with you.....the rooms are a bit tight (as far as the studio goes...that's all we've stayed in here), but it's always just kenneth and me on our trips, so it works out for us. More than 2 people might be a little tough, though. If it's just the two of you, you should be fine. Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Can't wait for more. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapeman View Post
Looking forward to the rest of the report.

I hope beer is involved!

Yeah....I'm hoping Kenneth will report about some beers. He's on the balcony drinking Sam Adams Rustic Saison right now (he bought some kind of summer assortment case before we left home).

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet1106 View Post
Sherryberry and beerfan enjoy your trip. Great 14th floor lake view.
Would love to see a picture of the cutest dog in the world Buzz after the trip too.
Thanks. I'll try to remember to post a picture of Buzz when we get him back - the other love of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Off to a nice start.

Seventh floor at BLT sounds nice. In three visits, the highest I have received is the 4th floor.
Seventh floor is pretty good. When Kenneth asked about getting a different view, he told Jamie that we were willing to go with a low floor if we had to. We just got lucky, when she got us the fourteenth floor.

What kind of view do you get? Kenneth said next time, we may go with a Magic Kingdom view....I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra points. The lake view really is pretty nice (and better when you're on the outside of the building ).