home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
suejen
Grand Villa

Default DCL Dream mini-TR

Hey everyone - I just don't have time for a full-on TR but I thought I would post pics of our 3 day Dream cruise.
We were at BWV from March 12-17 and then were on the Dream from the 17-20.
We absolutely loved it!! So much so that we booked again for next March Break.

We rented a car (From Dollar at Wyndham by DTD) on the Wednesday before we left to do a bit of outlet mall shopping and get over to Port Canaveral.

This is what you see when you drive up to the cruise terminal.

[IMG][/IMG]

The drive up to the terminal is well-organized and several people are stationed strategically to tell you where to unload your luggage, park your car, etc. Security was quick but then when you ride up the escalator it's quite a mob scene! Make sure to do your online check-in and have all your papers in order or you will be standing in line for quite a while. We zipped through pretty quickly. It also helped that they had a dedicated line for Canadian passengers!

[IMG][/IMG]

DH was fascinated by the Dream model ship.
[IMG][/IMG]

No place to sit down so DS11 plunked down on the floor while we waited for our boarding group to be called. We were in group 3. We arrived about 11am and boarded about 12:15.

DS16 and I surveying the hordes of people.

This was taken from the walkway between the terminal and the ship.

DCL vets would know this - as you enter the ship your family's name is called and a group of very formal looking CMs in dress whites are on hand to greet you. I almost expected to see Julie McCoy, cruise director and Capt. Stubing! It was very cool. Here we are chatting to the young lady who accompanied us onto the ship. It's very personalized which is impressive considering the Dream holds 6000 or something passengers

Some shots of the beautiful lobby:

suejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
jrbdad
Add-on Aficionado

Loving your TR. Can't wait for more. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
suejen
Grand Villa

We were hungry and headed down to deck 2 to the Enchanted Garden for a bountiful lunch buffet. It was St. Patrick's Day and they featured some soda bread and Irish stew (very yummy) in honor of the occasion. The first thing I ordered? A margarita!...It's vacation time!

After our lunch we headed up to Deck 11 - the pool deck. By this point it was about 1pm and our stateroom would not be ready until 1:30. Everyone changed into swimsuits (tip: Ladies - put your swimsuit on under your clothing. The line-up to change in the restrooms was insane!)
The boys got a few rides on the Aquaduck during this time. One CM that we got quite friendly with - a lovely young lady from Ireland - told us that during a 4 night cruise the line-up for the Aquaduck can be an hour long on the "At Sea" day.
DS11 loved the ride. DS16 - meh! He said the initial take-off and swing out over the water is really cool but then it really slows down. I never did ride it. I kept meaning too but just lounging around seemed more appealing!

This is about 1pm on Embarkation day - no lineup!

It's starting to get busier as more and more people finish lunch and head upstairs.

Looking out over Port Canaveral.

Our new friend, the Irish barmaid, took our pic. I'm drinking a special embarkation cocktail, sort of a Bahama Mama, in a souvenir glass.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
suejen
Grand Villa

More shots from around Deck 11:

A view of a Carnival cruise ship from the Port. This ship was beside us in Nassau too.

About 1:45ish I left my boys at the pool and headed down to our stateroom. I met our sweet stateroom steward, Estafanie from the Philipines. She worked so hard keeping our room tidy and making it special with towel animals creations, arranging DS11's toys into funny scenes, etc.
Here are some photos of our stateroom after we had lived in it for a few hours. We were in a category 4A - deluxe with a verandah - on deck 10.

Our verandah had an overhang which I liked. Here I am with yet another drink in my hand. Really, I am not usually this much of a lush!

That night we were in the Enchanted Garden again for dinner. I can't remember what I ordered! (maybe I did have one too many Bahama Mamas!) DS16 and DH ordered two appetizers and two entrees! I know DH had the lamb because he was raving about it throughout the cruise!
We met our team of server and assistant server; Darwin from Honduras and Veronika from Slovakia. They were terrific! I highly recommend requesting them if you are cruising on the Dream anytime soon. Veronika is quite beautiful. DS16 developed quite a crush!

The next night we ate at the Royal Palace and here is the place setting.

Veronika with DS11. It was pirate night!

Here we are with our servers on our disembarkation morning. We're at Animator's Palette. You eat your final breakfast in the restaurant where you eat your last night's dinner. I just loved our servers. They were wonderful and very patient with DS11, our special needs son. I was so sad to say good-bye to them. We were all hugging on the last morning!

A comment about the food in general: I love any meal that I don't have to prepare, cook and clean-up so I thought the food was great! I really enjoyed my last night's meal in Animator's Palette. I had truffles as an appetizer and the seafood pasta. Like I said, DH loved the lamb he got on the first night. DS16 is a huge carnivore (a teen boy loves meat - what a surprise!) and always ordered two entrees. This kept him satisfied. We didn't eat in Palo or Remy's but definitely want to try these next time. The food was beautifully presented and quite tasty. We didn't try any of the counter service type of places on the ship. I ordered coffee, croissants and fruit from room service every morning. This wasn't enough for my boys and they went up to Cabanas for the breakfast buffet. They found lots to eat and enjoy up there. DH loved the eggs benedict and omelet station.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
lsm1123
One Bedroom

Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to the day when my two boys (3 & 6 months now) will be the right age for cruising. A few kore years and I envision afternoon reading on deck and lots of good food and wine at night.
lsm1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
lsm1123
One Bedroom

Quick question- What kind of camera do you have? Your pictures are beautiful and I am on the hunt for a camera upgrade. Thanks.
lsm1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
SevenSeasGirl
One Bedroom

Thanks for sharing your pics. We sail on the Dream in a month! Just trying to decide what time to get to the port. Our port arrival time is 11:30. Did you have a pre-assigned port arrival time?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
suejen
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
Loving your TR. Can't wait for more. Thanks for posting.
Thanks John. I'll try to get them all up this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm1123 View Post
Quick question- What kind of camera do you have? Your pictures are beautiful and I am on the hunt for a camera upgrade. Thanks.
These pics are from DH's camera. I actually haven't even uploaded the pics I took with my little point and shoot! His camera is a Nikon D40X.
Enjoy your little boys! I miss those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Great pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSeasGirl View Post
Thanks for sharing your pics. We sail on the Dream in a month! Just trying to decide what time to get to the port. Our port arrival time is 11:30. Did you have a pre-assigned port arrival time?
We did have an assigned time for 10:30. We were late leaving BWV and I was freaking out thinking we wouldn't get onboard until late afternoon but it worked out alright.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for sharing, I have enjoyed your report and your pictures, and I am glad you had a fun cruise. So many of the Dream have had nothing but negative things to say, so it was nice to hear all your positives.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote