home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Contemporary DVC almost announced?

It seems that the one trade per year policy might quickly fade into the dustbin of old hot news.

TouringPlans.com is reporting:

Quote:
Contemporary DVC coming - North garden Wing closes Oct 1st

The new DVC at the Contemporary Resort is all but a press release away at this point as the CM's at the hotel have been informed of the project. The North Garden Wing will close to the public on October 1st. A new DVC resort will be built in its place, the details of the exact design are still fuzzy and/or up in the air though.

One possibility mentioned to the CMs was a new 15 story C-shaped building with a central waterpark/pool area like the Yacht/Beach Clubs and a walkway on the 4th floor leading to the current concourse. This would explain the markings on the ground outside the current tower suggesting some sort of northward support system expansion.
They're the folk behind the Unofficial Guide and are closely associated with Mosueplanet, so their rumors and news is generally good.

Exciting days ahead for DVC . . .

Dirk

edited to correct my abysmal use of "their" and "they're"
Old 08-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
greenban
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee
It seems that the one trade per year policy might quickly fade into the dustbin of old hot news.

TouringPlans.com is reporting:

They're the folk behind the Unofficial Guide and are closely associated with Mosueplanet, so their rumors and news is generally good.

Exciting days ahead for DVC . . .

Dirk

edited to correct my abysmal use of "their" and "they're"
This is what us conspiracy theorists have been hinting at. If true, commercial renters could have booked the entire first 11 months up by transferring points that loose their home resort status. Before the first CRV point was ever sold!

I'm hoping this is the reason, not VAKL (rhymes with Jackel, BTW).

But, I'm not sure of anything yet........

-Tony

[

greenban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
KNWVIKING
Grand Villa

20 bucks says this is the end of pool hopping to CR and will not be allowed to VCR (?).

You're right Tony. That noise you heard was the other shoe dropping.
KNWVIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
ErinC
Grand Villa

Location: VWL & Fairhope, AL (just behind the Walmart dumpster!)

I was not really excited about this rumor at all when it first started, but the closer we get to the supposed "fall" announcement, I'm really hoping for a Contemporary announcement. I guess I've really warmed up to the idea. I don't think I would buy points there, but I'd like to stay there! I think "some" of the views would be awesome!

OT- love the new pic Tony!

ErinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I'd consider buying points there if I could buy an add-on for enough for 2-3 nights. It would be fun to have monorail access and be that close to the MK. However, I think I'd wait for the design to come out to see if it's really worth it. Even though CR was the first resort I ever stayed at, I've always hated it. It's hard and hot. I don't think I would ever be tempted to pool hop there!

VAKL would be more my style! Or Villas Polynesian Reort. (If VAKL rhymes with jackal, can we call V-PR "Viper?")

Dirk
Old 08-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
jdvm
Two Bedroom

Tony,
Is that you with the gun or is the person with gun aiming at you?
John
Old 08-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
DSNY FN
Grand Villa

Not my cup of tea we may stay there once just to try it but we would not purchase points there.

DSNY FN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
tjkraz
Founding Member

If the time were right for an add-on, I'd have to take a look at all of the factors and make a decision.

I think SSR is going to have the lowest dues for a long time to come, and that's a big consideration for me. It doesn't have any ridiculously expensive amenities to maintain (SAB, monorail, etc.), plus with the "Phase 3" expansion, you've got 50% more owners sharing in many of the common area expenses (front desk, bell services, busses) than was originally intended. In particular transportation is a big expense and I don't think they would need to spend one additional penny with the 50% growth in the resort. You can service 800 rooms just as effectively as 550 rooms without increasing bus frequency.

Anyway, the CR isn't a big draw to me. If we were in the market for some points, Disney really "wowed" me with the design, and all of the numbers add-up favorably, it might tip the scales in that direction.

But if DVC discounted SSR points and both contracts ended in 2054, I'd just get more at SSR and be just fine with that decision.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Stimpy
Grand Villa

Damn....gotta start saving those pennies again!

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
KNWVIKING
Grand Villa

Actually Tim, I'd bet VCR will have the lowest dues.

Landwise, a minimal amount to landscape and maintain.

Virtually no roads to maintain.

Monorail is still the cheapest mode of transport and it has the two most popular parks covered.

One 15 story structure has one roof and an almost maintnance free exterior.

Building will be minimal footprint, maximum density occupancy.

The only fly in my ointment would be the themed pool. If they do go for an SAB type pool, that will increase pool dues over what the other DVC resorts pay. But I assume CR guests will have access to pool so CR's monitary contribution will help to offset the expense.

I also believe the opening price for VCR will be $120.00.
KNWVIKING is offline   Reply With Quote