home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: WOuld you Consider Resort-only Stays?
No way: Parks every (or almost) every day or we're not there 13 13.68%
I might consider some split with fewer parks and more resort days 29 30.53%
Yes, I would do/have done resort-only stays 47 49.47%
Other (please add comments) 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Default Resort-only stays: Yea or Nay

With all the (not to) recent changes to Disney, the park is definitely requiring more planning. This works for some, and not for others. Some have opted foor resort-only, or much-reduced-park trips.

Figured I'd start a poll to judge the sentiment,

For the record, we're a solid No.

Cheers.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:48 PM   #2
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

I actually just posted on a different thread about how enjoyable our No parks Disney trip is going. Definitely not missing the crowds in the park and keeping ourselves entertained.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
bubster
Add-on Aficionado

Voted might consider fewer park days and more resort days. We have done this out of necessity in the past but absolutely want the option to visit a park, or not if we feel like it. The main reason I despise park reservations, loss of flexibility.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #4
gflatto
Two Bedroom

I might consider some split, with fewer park days. Having said, not sure my husband would - which means that while I would consider it, it wouldn't happen in reality!

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon --- May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member --- May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV --- May/June 2010 - VWL --- July 2010 - VGC --- Christmas 2010 - BLT --- May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV --- July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani! --- October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP --- May/June 2012 - BCV --- Christmas, 2012 - BLT --- June, 2013 - AKV (Kidani) and BWV --- December, 2013 - VGF and BLT --- December, 2014 - BWV --- June, 2015 - AKV (Kidani) and SSR --- December, 2015 - Christmas Cruise on the Fantasy --- October, 2016 - BLT --- May/June 2017 - BWV --- October, 2017 - AKV (Kidani) and CCV --- June, 2018 - BWV (No kids!) --- December, 2019 - Riviera and BLT --- 2021 - VGF and BCV
gflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:08 PM   #5
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

I have never done it, I always say to my wife we should, but I know for sure Id be chomping at the bit to go to a park. But I would give it a try. More so Id stay at Fort Wilderness if we did.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #6
johnb
One Bedroom

I want to say "sure, we could do a no parks trip", but I know what would happen. I'd be there for a day or two then buy park tickets. I like the yin/yang of crowds/parks/rides/shows/meals and the resort chill time.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
pooh bears mom
Add-on Aficionado

My sister is not a fan of amusement parks, consequently AKV are her favorite resort. Hoping for a family trip next year - if she comes with her family we will most likely do AKV - the kids and husbands can do the parks while my sister and I hang out at the resort
Honestly, we only went into the parks about half the time we were there last summer - and we stayed for the month of July - which was really nice treat - thanks to covid and all the banked points
Old 06-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Hmmm...so far seeing several "Other" votes for things that are covered in the top three choices. Maybe I didn't word them as well as I could have since I don't see any comments in here that don't actually fit the poll answers.

Cheers.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #9
Ransom
Grand Villa

We've de-emphasized the parks a lot.

After the go-go first few years of rope-drop-to-close-every-day stays, we dropped back to 6-1/2 park days per week, then when FastPass+ came out we dropped back further to 6 half days at parks per week, and then on our last few trips it's been 5 half-days at parks per week. But since Genie+, even that ends up being a lot of "meh" time in the park.

We went from "let's ride almost everything in every park!" to "let's get up early to reserve a ride on the newest stuff and hopefully one or two others."

Along with that, we went from eating 3 meals per day at Disney restaurants, to now just eating lunch at Disney restaurants. And it's always counter service. We don't see a reason to give them any more money than necessary.

We do enjoy our resort, WDW in general (riding the Skyway and the monorail, visiting other resorts and Disney Springs, etc.) and being in central Florida (now that we drive to/from).

But we're not sure how much longer it makes sense to own DVC. If we can't get on more than a few rides w/o waiting in long lines each day, we're not really that interested in it. If FastPass had been like Genie+, we'd never have gone back a second time. Heck, if it was like FastPass+ we likely wouldn't have.

Last edited by Ransom; 06-20-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #10
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Voted 'might consider it,....' We've never, ever considered resort only in the past, but unless APs come back, will likely be looking at this option, renting out points, using them at the beach resorts, or some sort of split, very few park days while staying at the resort. Or mixing it up w Seaworld/Universal.

May end up trying something like this in Oct, at least for my son and me. We dont' have tickets, and not wanting to devote the whole week to Disney parks. It seems very odd to me to go all the way to Orlando and not do parks, but it may come to that just to use up points. When we do go to Universal, we always stay on site there, so not sure we'd go often if staying at a DVC resort.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote