home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
Adelard of Bath
Grand Villa

Default OKW thermostat fun

I've been watching youtube videos of OKW tours, focusing on 1-bedrooms. Looking for....yeah you guessed it, thermostats. I mean, who doesn't.

Now, it looks to me that the only thermostat in the whole place is in the living room, by the kitchen. Those motion sensing, temperature-limiting thermostats drive me crazy. Yes, I've done the override trick, but it still only goes down to a certain temperature, but at least the override kills the motion sensor part, as far as I can figure.

My concern: both of us will be sleeping in the bedroom (one bedroom unit), and with nobody out in the living room, the bedroom will get hot.

Maybe I'll pack a space heater and put it by the thermostat, hee hee hee
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #2
jflatto
Grand Villa

Table lamp with incandescent bulbs or a freezer packs, depending on how you want to confuse the thermostat. Or a very cheap USB plug in fan and add some streamers to the fan so the motion of the streamers confuses the motion sensor.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT; Christmas 2021 - VGF and BCV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
Table lamp with incandescent bulbs....
Wow, what are those!?!?

Cheers.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
GrumpyInPhilly
One Bedroom

Last trip I just brought a helium balloon from home and tied it to a kitchen chair. It did the trick!
GrumpyInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Nickys
Grand Villa

So you need to have something moving in the living room to get the air con to kick in, is that the issue?

Any suggestions for something else?

A helium balloon on a plane isn’t going to fly….. We will have people sleeping in the living room, but if you need to have motion for it to work then we’ll need a plan B.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
Joeli
Grand Villa

Can’t you do one of those creepy monkeys with the Cymbols? Oh wait…you want to sleep…

2022 Aug - CCV Special BDAY trip
2022 and on: Vacation house - woo hoo!

Done:
2021 (Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Oct, Nov, Dec/Jan) - AKV (K), PVB, BLT, BLT, PVB, PVB, PVB/BWV
2020 (Jan, Mar, Mar/Apr/May/May/Jun, Sept, Aug, Oct, Nov) - Swan, PVB, PVB/PVB/AKV/AKV/PVB, DCL Fantasy - (COVID-19 BOO), BCV, BWV, PVB (bungalow)
Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
melk
Grand Villa

I remember many years ago on another board where someone suggested buying a hamster, tying a helium balloon to it and letting it loose in the room. I guess it would work
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:12 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyInPhilly View Post
Last trip I just brought a helium balloon from home and tied it to a kitchen chair. It did the trick!
Yeah, good luck trying to get one of those now with the helium shortage.

But I had not realized that there needed to be movement to get the thermostat to activate the temperature control. This is definitely non-standard as other places we go have this work in the night as well.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; 06-20-2022 at 05:42 PM.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
reblzmom
Grand Villa

The SSR maintenance guys showed me how to bypass and keep the AC going. Its been a while, so I am sorry I don't remember. Not even sure if the thermostats are the same after the reno (guessing they are).
Old 06-20-2022, 09:59 PM   #10
Adelard of Bath
Grand Villa

Yep I do the bypass every time we go down there. I was just wondering if anyone had any problems with the fact that the thermostat doesn't seem to be in the same room as the bed is in.

Now with regards to the balloon tied to a kitchen chair, I had heard that one before, too, actually when I heard it they said specifically one of those metallic mylar balloons. My brain says that the sensor on the thermostat won't see any balloons moving, because they aren't warm. (Cue scenes from 'Predator' where the Predator can't see our hero because he is covered in mud, or scenes from 'Sneakers' where the sensor can't see our hero because they raised the temperature of the room)
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote