home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 06-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
BEAM4DVC
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 561
Default Theme Park Reservations Beyond AP Expiration Date?

I'm not sure I've run into this dilemma since the Park Reservation system began.

Here's the scenario -

DVC APs expire in December 2022
Poly reservation in January 2023

When I try to make Park Reservations, I am told I don't have "valid admission."

I can't renew our APs until November and don't want to wait until then to make the reservations and have everything be booked!

What am I missing?! What's the work-around?

Thanks for your help!!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
wiltony
Two Bedroom
 
wiltony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 501
Default

Had exactly the same situation. I called and the CM advised me to do the following:

1) Purchase normal dated tickets for your desired dates -- it is important that you purchase these tickets *directly* from disney -- no third party ticket sources!
2) Make your park reservations using these tickets
3) Once AP renewal window opens, call back and they will apply the cost of the tickets toward the cost of renewing your APs (hopefully the renewal cost will be higher than the cost of the tickets, however, since you cannot get a refund)
4) Confirm that reservations stay in-tact when swapping tickets for AP renewal

I'm through step 2 of this process. My AP renewal window doesn't open until October.

Good luck!
wiltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
DVCjj
Grand Villa
 
DVCjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltony View Post
Had exactly the same situation. I called and the CM advised me to do the following:

1) Purchase normal dated tickets for your desired dates -- it is important that you purchase these tickets *directly* from disney -- no third party ticket sources!
2) Make your park reservations using these tickets
3) Once AP renewal window opens, call back and they will apply the cost of the tickets toward the cost of renewing your APs (hopefully the renewal cost will be higher than the cost of the tickets, however, since you cannot get a refund)
4) Confirm that reservations stay in-tact when swapping tickets for AP renewal

I'm through step 2 of this process. My AP renewal window doesn't open until October.

Good luck!
I've done this several times successfully.

My question to Wiltony is how can you be done with #2 when you can't make park reservations more than 60 days in advance? I just presumed your trip is closer to October and that's why you're concerned about not being able to make your park reservations (meaning can make in AUGUST not June.
I'm puzzled.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
wiltony
Two Bedroom
 
wiltony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
I've done this several times successfully.

My question to Wiltony is how can you be done with #2 when you can't make park reservations more than 60 days in advance? I just presumed your trip is closer to October and that's why you're concerned about not being able to make your park reservations (meaning can make in AUGUST not June.
I'm puzzled.
Hm, I'm not fully understanding your question. Are you referring to dining reservations? OP and I are talking about park entrance reservations -- those can be made at least a year out.

I have a DVC stay in December that I made at the 11 month mark in January. My APs expire early December, before that trip. In order to make park reservations for this date (which falls after my AP expires), I had to buy regular tickets for those dates. When my AP renewal window opens (60 days before my AP expires, so October), I will call and disney said they will apply the cost of the tickets I bought toward the renewal of my AP.
wiltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
PirateLinda
Two Bedroom
 
PirateLinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
I've done this several times successfully.

My question to Wiltony is how can you be done with #2 when you can't make park reservations more than 60 days in advance? I just presumed your trip is closer to October and that's why you're concerned about not being able to make your park reservations (meaning can make in AUGUST not June.
I'm puzzled.
You can book park reservations more than 60 days in advance. Itís dining reservations that are only 60 days in advance.

Iíve already made my park reservations for my trip at the end of August.
__________________
Linda Always planning our next trip. dh dd33 dsil32 dd30 dsil33 dd27

Upcoming Trips:
3/22/22 - 3/25/22 Kidani
4/26/22 - 5/3/22 SSR
8/28/22 - 9/2/22 OKW
9/30/22 - 10/7/22 Kidani
12/4/22 - 12/10/22 OKW
PirateLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
BEAM4DVC
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 561
Default

Thanks for the detailed info! I'll do exactly what you outlined!

Have a wonderful vacation!!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #7
DVCjj
Grand Villa
 
DVCjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltony View Post
Hm, I'm not fully understanding your question. Are you referring to dining reservations? OP and I are talking about park entrance reservations -- those can be made at least a year out.

I have a DVC stay in December that I made at the 11 month mark in January. My APs expire early December, before that trip. In order to make park reservations for this date (which falls after my AP expires), I had to buy regular tickets for those dates. When my AP renewal window opens (60 days before my AP expires, so October), I will call and disney said they will apply the cost of the tickets I bought toward the renewal of my AP.
I honestly did not know that park reservations can be made prior to 60 days. I'm so dumb. I've made many park reservations and always waited for the 60 days mark. (I always figured that once I grab favorite ADR's, I most likely would have to change the park days around to coordinate anyway).

I think '60' is emblazoned in my brain due to (old) FPs and ADRS.
Thanks.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #8
Don Munsil
Grand Villa
 
Don Munsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltony View Post
1) Purchase normal dated tickets for your desired dates -- it is important that you purchase these tickets *directly* from disney -- no third party ticket sources!
It's not actually essential that you buy direct. Third-party tickets are eligible for AP upgrades just like direct-purchased tickets.
Don Munsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:32 PM   #9
wiltony
Two Bedroom
 
wiltony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Munsil View Post
It's not actually essential that you buy direct. Third-party tickets are eligible for AP upgrades just like direct-purchased tickets.
Under normal circumstances, yes, but that might only be for upgrading to a new AP which WDW doesn't sell at the moment. I don't know if they would allow someone to "upgrade" normal tickets to an AP renewal.

To be clear, this isn't really an AP upgrade, it's getting a credit for unused tickets and applying those dollars toward an AP renewal. It's a subtle difference, but one I think might put someone at risk if they were to try this strategy with third-party tickets.
wiltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:31 PM   #10
Don Munsil
Grand Villa
 
Don Munsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltony View Post
Under normal circumstances, yes, but that might only be for upgrading to a new AP which WDW doesn't sell at the moment. I don't know if they would allow someone to "upgrade" normal tickets to an AP renewal.

To be clear, this isn't really an AP upgrade, it's getting a credit for unused tickets and applying those dollars toward an AP renewal. It's a subtle difference, but one I think might put someone at risk if they were to try this strategy with third-party tickets.
I have done this many times with third-party tickets. I suppose they might have changed policies, but in the past, unused tickets could definitely be applied toward a new AP or an upgrade.
Don Munsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software