home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Robrown
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default 2023 Member Cruise

I don't post often, but my wife and I are seriously thinking of signing up for the 2023 member cruise. Looking for opinions on what to expect. I think the cruise is more expensive than a normal Disney cruise, so I am not sure what to expect.
The questions I have are:
1. How much more than a standard 4 night Bahamas cruise should I expect to pay?
2. Is it like the Moonlight after hours that DVC does, as in is it nearly impossible to get a ticket? ( we were not able to go to one due to it selling out very quickly)
3. We have never been on a cruise before, so do you recommend a veranda room, or ocean view?
4. Do you think it is worth it? Or, should we just book a regular cruise?
We are quite excited to give it a try, but I am not well versed in this whole process. Any tips, tricks, or advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Robrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

1. Member Cruises cost a significant premium over the price of a comparable DCL cruise during the same time frame.

2. It's possible you might not get a stateroom. Even though they are expensive, Member Cruises are very popular. Depending on what your max budget is (point and/or cash), it's possible that you might be priced out by the time you reach a CM to book.

3. That's a difficult question for someone else to answer. We are happy with an inside stateroom. We've had a verandah stateroom before and rarely spent any time on it. We have a verandah on the DVC Wish Charter next month only because by the time we got through to book, that's all that was left.

4. There's a lot of extras that DVC does on Member Cruises that make them unique. DVC brings on special guests and special events in additional to the regular activities and entertainment already provided by the cruise line. We have done 3 Member Cruises so far and have really enjoyed each one.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
Robrown

Thanks for the information. We will see if we can get on the cruise or not. My experiences with the DVC extras like Moonlight Magic have not been good. We think it would be something fun to do, and we have talked about booking a cruise for a while.
Thanks again,
Rob
Old 06-17-2022, 11:07 AM   #4
leo122160
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrown View Post
I don't post often, but my wife and I are seriously thinking of signing up for the 2023 member cruise. Looking for opinions on what to expect. I think the cruise is more expensive than a normal Disney cruise, so I am not sure what to expect.
2. Is it like the Moonlight after hours that DVC does, as in is it nearly impossible to get a ticket? ( we were not able to go to one due to it selling out very quickly)
3. We have never been on a cruise before, so do you recommend a veranda room, or ocean view?
We are quite excited to give it a try, but I am not well versed in this whole process. Any tips, tricks, or advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
My wife and I prefer a verandah room. We sit out late at night , just watching the moonlight reflect off ocean. Coffee early morning is also something we enjoy.
Member cruises are more expensive, they offer (supposedly) more perks and typically the cruise limits number of passengers to non capacity, offering more room and more attention to you.

We love cruises, feel that it is a unique time, service is way over the top. Food is outsatnding, shows are great, Castaway Cay we feel is a fantastic island,
As to member versus regular, we prefer regular, seems like the over price doesn't match up.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy whatever you decide. Cruises are great. we have a 7 day booked early 2023. Cant wait. We always go down and stay at Boardwalk the day before and use Disney cruise line bus transport to port
Old 06-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
Robrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo122160 View Post
My wife and I prefer a verandah room. We sit out late at night , just watching the moonlight reflect off ocean. Coffee early morning is also something we enjoy.
Member cruises are more expensive, they offer (supposedly) more perks and typically the cruise limits number of passengers to non capacity, offering more room and more attention to you.

We love cruises, feel that it is a unique time, service is way over the top. Food is outsatnding, shows are great, Castaway Cay we feel is a fantastic island,
As to member versus regular, we prefer regular, seems like the over price doesn't match up.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy whatever you decide. Cruises are great. we have a 7 day booked early 2023. Cant wait. We always go down and stay at Boardwalk the day before and use Disney cruise line bus transport to port
Thanks for the input. We are willing to pay a premium for the member cruise to get the experience of the "insider" events. I get kinda nerdy for the trivia of the small details about things like Disney, so I would really enjoy it.
As for the room, I am trying to talk my wife into the veranda for the exact reasons you listed above. I like the idea of enjoying a drink on the balcony watching the ocean float by. We will see what we can put together on the 23rd.
Lastly, the standard cruise versus the member cruise is not a point of reference I have. I do appreciate the feedback, since I don't know much on cruises other than watching videos and such.
Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:27 PM   #6
hlyntunstl
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrown View Post
Thanks,
Rob
I'm just waiting for them to post the cash/point charts before deciding since you have to pay in full at booking but we're planning on going. We were on the 20th anniversary cruise out of NY in 2019 and we're all excited to go again. If I had to GUESS, it will be around 50% more but just a guess. As leo122160 mentioned, sitting on the verandah at night is an amazing experience. That said, if you really want to go and there's no verandah option, go for the ocean view. Interior rooms have virtual portholes.

If you want to book and want your choice of rooms (have 3 and we got to pick a specific cabin) you'll want to be ready to call right at 10am on 7/23. I heard stories of people waiting on hold for hours when we booked ours so I was ready to sit when I dialed in at 10:00.01 and I was taken right away. I figured that used up my luck for future trips.

It was worth it for us and a bucket list item for me. We were told to bring an empty suitcase for the gifts and they were not kidding. We filled up every extra inch of space and probably could have bought another bag (it was 7 days). We had twice a day gifts, special entertainment and presentations. Don Hahn's talk, lesson on how to create a popup book, and the Disney on Broadway show were highlights for me. We also saw about 10 minutes of Frozen 2 and all of Maleficent 2 before they were released. It was a bit of Disney nerd heaven for me. You don't get all of that with a regular cruise but you also don't have to pay all up front for a cruise that doesn't set sail for almost a year and a half either. I also wish it were at least 5 days because my 4 day cruises always feel like you're kicked off just as you learn the ship. If it's something you've always wanted to do, definitely give it a look. If you want to book a regular cruise after, you can purchase a placeholder cruise onboard for a future credit if you sail with 2 years.

Whatever you decide....enjoy!!!
hlyntunstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:03 AM   #7
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

I can only comment on the room choice question.... Veranda without a question! Although we're typically night owls as opposed to early risers, I find coffee and doughnuts on the veranda a perfect start to every day! I always order 2 pots of coffee and at least 2 chocolate doughnuts from the room service card in the desk.* I set it for the 8-8:30 time frame, and set my alarm for 7:45. They are always on the early end of the delivery window... usually 8:05ish. Sitting on the veranda with a snack, watching the scenery float by, is incredibly relaxing.

* I always let my precious bride order fruit and/or cereal as well.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #8
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

We love cruising but I wish I could talk DH into another cruise line besides Disney. We've never made it to breakfast over 5 cruises because we love eating on the veranda. In the evening seeing the moon on the water and being surrounded by other cruise ships is enjoyable. Depending on the winds direction sometimes we catch some fireworks. It's cool to watch the ship dock into Castaway. We spend so much time on the veranda and the upper decks.

Conversely, we've never made it to the movies or bingo. We might make it to a beverage tasting, although the last one I forgot. In 5 cruises we've managed to attend one Broadway show and one magician show. IDK, I figure all that stuff we can do on land.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #9
Robrown

Thanks everyone for the pointers. I am waiting to hear the pricing at this point, but the veranda sounds like the way to go. I can use all the help I can get since we have not cruise experience at all. Since we usually vacation at the parks, I am used to being quite busy while on vacation. One of my fears is that we will get bored on the ship, but this sounds like there is plenty to do.
Thanks again,
Rob
Old 06-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #10
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

A Member Cruise is on my bucket list and with my recent cancer scare, I am going to go ahead and do it.

I have been to the Bahamas many times, so an Ocean View will work for me, or even an Inside Cabin as I have never stayed in one of those on any of the DCL ships--depends on what I learn about the different cabins on the Wish.

I know that the Member Cruise is more expensive than a non-member cruise at this same time, but I want to give it a try once and since this is on the Wish, I am going for it.

I understand that you can pay in cash for all parties in your cabin now, you don't have to use points to book. Can anyone confirm this?

There is no way to be bored on a Disney cruise, unless that is what you choose to do. You can do as much or as little on the ship as you want and there is so much to do. Go read a couple of trip reports.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote