home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-03-2022, 07:03 PM   #1
wdw1972
Grand Villa

Default Sue's May 2022 Hilton Head Trip

Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
SB (64), my husband
Dates: May 4 – 9, 2022
Resort: Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort
Experience: Very Experienced – 26th stay at Hilton Head

INTRODUCTION:
This is one of the most looked forward to trips each year, and while I’m still looking forward to it, things have changed. It used to be a fun trip with Pete & Judy and Chris, Amanda & Ari. Then Ari went ahead and started kindergarten, so his family is out of the picture. That wasn’t awful, as we would still enjoy our time with Pete & Judy, and maybe do the Comedy Magic Cabaret again (where Ari would not be allowed). Then January happened, and Pete died. Judy didn’t feel up to traveling here, at least this year. We’ll see if she wants to make the trip next year or some future year – we hope so. SB & I both love Hilton Head and will enjoy being here, but there’s an element of sadness and mourning of what should have been.

With Chris’ family not being able to attend, I booked a 1br villa rather than the 2br villa. Hopefully I contacted DVC and requested to be in Live Oak Lodge. The alternative is underneath a grand villa, which I definitely do NOT want! The 1br gives us the space we need to complete the 5-night trip still married. How couples manage in studios is beyond me, lol! I also enjoy having the full kitchen even though all I’m likely to cook is an egg on the stove.

The priorities for the trip are spending time on the beach and dining out. I love the beach here – it’s wide, pretty, and a great place to be! We love our Serg restaurants, and will probably stick with those other than Hilton Head Diner on getaway day. Poseidon is always the first night’s location, and that won’t change. Last year after we left Pete & Judy stayed another 3 nights and went to Poseidon all of those nights, lol! I’m thinking we need to start AND end the trip at Poseidon, in honor of Pete (plus I love their pimento cheese).

About a month before the trip I checked the Comedy Magic Cabaret website. It’s located less than a mile from the resort and owned by a husband & wife team (Kelly & Kerry). Kerry performs and Kelly takes care of the guests. We’d gone there before with Pete & Judy, and I went prior to covid with Holli, and it’s a great evening out. SB wanted to go, so I booked that for Friday night. Unfortunately when the confirmation came I realized I’d booked the next Friday night in APRIL – not the Friday night of our trip. It said no refunds, so I emailed Kelly and she very nicely moved us to the date we needed – whew!

Besides Poseidon, SB really likes Frankie Bones (me too), so we’ll do that for a late lunch the night of the comedy show. The other couple nights we can pick from Dockside, Boathouse, Black Marlin, or possibly Nectar. He mentioned doing the Captain Mark’s sunset dolphin cruise, but we can probably book that once we’re up there. Later he was waffling on it, so I’m glad I didn’t book it. A couple days before the trip he was a definite “no”, which means he could want to book it once there but I’m pretty much over it at this point. I don’t see us doing any of the resort tours, since they occur during beach time for me and SB wouldn’t be interested. That stuff can wait until January when it’s not beach weather and I’m with people who will appreciate/enjoy it more.

Overall, this trip is all about beach time, relaxing, and enjoying our Serg restaurants.

The plans so far are:
Wednesday 5/4: Drive to HHI, Poseidon
Thursday 5/5: Beach, Dockside or Boathouse
Friday 5/6: Beach, Frankie Bones, Comedy Magic Cabaret
Saturday 5/7: Beach, Black Marlin or Nectar
Sunday 5/8: Beach, Poseidon?
Monday 5/9: Hilton Head Diner, Drive to Gainesville

wdw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Trip

Where is Poseidon's, it sounds like a place I would like to try?
dschwarzbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:41 PM   #3
wdw1972
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwarzbauer View Post
Where is Poseidon's, it sounds like a place I would like to try?
It's real close to the resort - over in the new Shelter Cove area that used to be the mall. When I'm not with SB I walk there & back. With him we'll drive to avoid his bitching about walking They're open for lunch, dinner and brunch on Sunday. The happy hour is in their Nauti Bar on the ground level (outside but covered) or upstairs in what's called the Rooftop Bar but it's really just the 2nd story and not on the roof at all. There is some outdoor tables there but most is inside. At happy hour in either bar you can also order from the regular menu - it's pretty extensive, and like all the Serg restaurants it's very good.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:21 PM   #5
babysimba
Grand Villa

Looking forward to your TR, but so very sorry about Pete. Absolutely devastating for all of you. Sending warm thoughts your way.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #6
wdw1972
Grand Villa

DAY 1 – Wednesday 5/5/22
SB (64), my husband

Plan: Drive to HHI, Poseidon

Actual: I worked until 10 and since SB’s job involves working a shift we put in for him to be off today. We were loaded up and on the road by 10:11. We ran into a couple delays on I-95 – one construction, one a bad accident. As a result we didn’t arrive until after 2:30. The good news is our villa was ready. The bad news is it’s an accessible (handicapped) unit.

What this really means is the kitchen layout is a bit different (fewer drawers, lower cabinets but for a short person like me no big deal), the bathroom is one big room vs 2 separate rooms (negative), there’s only 1 sink (negative – traveling with someone who splashes water everywhere makes having separate sinks a nice thing), and the normally small shower stall is replaced with a larger one that has a stupid curtain rather than a door. The curtain ends a few inches above the floor, and the little risen part to supposedly contain the water is about one inch – so I fully expect to be using towels to sop up water on the bathroom floor (another negative). The living room, dining room and bedroom look normal. The porch of course is the same, and we do have a view of the marsh. We didn’t get top floor as I’d requested, but hopefully the people upstairs are a couple like us and not a pair of ignorant parents who let their kids run around and jump off furniture like uncivilized heathens (past experience). So far, as of 7pm there’s not been a peep of noise from upstairs, so keeping fingers crossed! Overall, while I would not have wanted this room, I understand that if handicapped people don’t book these rooms the rest of us will get stuck with them and for me it hasn’t happened very often so I see it as I simply drew the short straw on this trip. Will it ruin the trip? Hell no. Can we live with it? Hell yes. I’m happy to be here, so this is piddly disappointment crap that really doesn’t mean anything in the long run.

We’re in building 12, which is connected to Live Oak Lodge. We’d parked under the lodge so we went down and put our stuff on the cart to bring up to the villa. The resort is planning a refurbishment starting this year, but this villa is the same as before. It’s attractive, although I noticed in the living room we did not have the area rug with the fish design. Perhaps that’s an accommodation for people in a wheelchair.

We unloaded our stuff and I unpacked. We both set up our computers and SB had more time than me since women seem to do the bulk of the work before getting to do their personal stuff <g>. Or maybe I’m just a fool, lol.

Around 3:45 we left the villa and drove over to Poseidon. Once there SB commented that this was so close we could have walked! Geez! Walking is my preferred way of getting here, but I’d assumed he’d bitch about walking. I pointed out Sunday we’ll be back – we can walk then. He agreed. We’ll see what happens Sunday, lol!

Since it was early parking was a piece of cake, and we got a spot right outside the Nauti Bar at Poseidon. The bar was half full and the high-top tables were half taken, so we went to the side of the bar with a lot of seats. This was a good choice since you typically get better service AT the bar vs IN the bar area.

Happy hour was starting in about 10 minutes, so the bartender got our drinks but didn’t enter the order until 4pm. I had the house pinot grigio ($5/glass) and SB got a strawberry margarita. After that he switched to beer. He ordered a dozen of the Virginia oysters since Holli had said in January that they were the best oysters she’d ever had. SB loved them – said they were outstanding. During happy hour they’re $1.75 each, so it was $11.75 for the dozen. For our “meals” he got the crab cake appetizer and I got my usual pimento cheese w/naan bread ($6.50).

SB loved his crab cake – it was only one, but it had a ton of crab. He said it was better than Maryland, which is known for crab. What we didn’t realize is it was $26 for a single crab cake!!! Good thing he loved it <g>. My pimento cheese was fabulous as always. SB helped eat it, but I still had leftover to take back. I don’t know how I used to eat it all myself in the past. After we settled the check we drove around the corner and parked at Kroger.

We picked up everything on our list and a few things not on the list. They have a great cheese department here (Murray’s) so I picked up a few cheeses in case I have time/room to eat cheese & crackers while here. We also got the fabulous turtle cookies I had in January, along with breakfast stuff and sandwich stuff for SB.

Back at the resort we brought the groceries upstairs and then walked over to Shelter Cove Harbor. SB wanted to go to Scott’s for a nightcap. I suggested checking out the new sports bar first (Top Dawg Tavern) but he wanted Scott’s. We get there and there’s still no happy hour. SB ordered a pina colada and I got a cosmo – check was $25-30. The drinks were good, but with happy hour deals elsewhere I just didn’t see being there. They did have a guitarist/singer who was very nice, but I don’t see myself going back there as long as they are discontinuing their previous happy hour.

After settling that check we walked a bit further in and SB saw the Top Dawg Tavern, which was quite busy! They have bar seating facing the marina (prime spot in my opinion), as well as a large bar and several outdoor tables. SB agreed this place looked good. If only he’d been willing to walk down here earlier, but maybe we’ll make it back some night.

There was something going on at the stage next door so he led us over there and sat down. However, it wasn’t music – it was some guy talking. The sign said some chamber of commerce. Looking at the audience it looked like a bunch of graduating students – very few old farts like us. We got up and left, not knowing what the hell it was but clearly it was not entertainment. We walked back over the bridge and headed up to the villa.

Once inside SB pulled out the sleep sofa. I asked if he was sleeping out here and he felt he would be snoring tonight. Ok – that’s fine with me – I don’t want any noise in my room. I got the sheets, blanket & pillows for him then joined him in the living room to catch up on the report. Sunset is 8:06 tonight so I may wander over to the pier to see that. I asked SB if he wanted to go but he was happy staying home watching an NBA playoff game.

Today was a great start to the trip. There were some delays due to traffic, but we’d left early enough to allow for that. Instead of shopping before going to dinner, we shopped afterwards – no big deal. Poseidon was GREAT as usual – Pete & Judy would go here every night after we’d leave our trips and I think it we didn’t have so many other places we try to fit into 5 days we’d be happy be here every night. Scotts was fun, although the no happy hour thing annoys me. They’re not the only show in town, so this will hopefully be my last visit.

Tomorrow is our first full day, and the morning will be spent at the beach! I love the beach here! Later I have a 1pm call to take, and we’ll most likely do an early dinner/happy hour at Skull Creek Boathouse. If SB is still up for a nightcap we’ll try Top Dawg Tavern this time.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:52 PM   #7
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Thanks for the great trip report. We've been to HHI more times than I can count but we always stay in the same place in Harbour Town that we found years ago on VRBO. I'm very familiar with Shelter Cove. Your TR makes me wish that we were there right now.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #8
wdw1972
Grand Villa

Wonderdog I can't tell you how many times at home I'd wished I was here at Hilton Head ;-) It's such a great place!

DAY 2 – Thursday 5/5/22
SB (64), my husband

Plan: Beach, Dockside or Boathouse

Actual: Last night I walked over to the pier but found the clouds were completely covering the horizon so a sunset was not visible. I could have waited quite a while for any colors that would have appeared above the clouds after the invisible sunset but decided not to bother. I walked along the marina and headed back to the villa. SB was already asleep “watching the basketball game” but I left him alone until after 9 before turning off the tv and turning out the light out there. I settled into the bedroom and watched today’s General Hospital online before turning in somewhere before 10.

I slept great, and there was no noise from the upstairs neighbors (just the way it should be). We were both up by 5 and spent the early morning hours doing our online stuff. The local weather forecast is saying 91-92 degrees today and tomorrow, which is almost 10 degrees higher than normal for this time of year. This could impact our time at the beach – if it’s too hot we’ll head back sooner.

Around 7 I went out and cooked breakfast. SB had scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese grits, toast and orange juice. I had a fried egg, slice of bacon and then an English muffin. We brought butter from home and bought a jar of grape jelly at Kroger yesterday. Everything was very good. After cleaning up the breakfast stuff I spent a little more time online before getting dressed (swimsuit & coverup) and walking over to the pool to see if I could grab a couple towels to take to the beach. I could get them at the beach house, but prefer to not have to make that detour once arriving over there.

Sure enough, the main entrance was locked but I took the walkway up to the Mercantile and found the pool entrance under the deck was unlocked. There was a big “closed” sign, but I just popped in, grabbed a couple towels and came back out. I walked back to the villa and once SB was ready we drove over to the Beach House, arriving around 8:45.

The beach was gorgeous, and the tide was coming in. We set up our chairs at the edge of the hard sand and had a really nice morning. By the time we left at noon the beach was much more crowded than I’ve seen it in previous early May weekdays. The most annoying was a group of couples around our age who felt the best spot for their chairs was about 2 feet away from my chair. Really people – there’s space – spread the hell out!!

SB spent some time in the water, taking his chair down there at one point. He came back commenting on how friendly people are here – so many people passing by would say hello or make chitchat. I think that’s pretty common in a resort setting – people are happy to be here, and they have the means to be here so they’re not the struggling people with no manners or consideration he sees in Gainesville.

At noon we headed back to the villa. He watched a movie on tv while I did some online stuff at the dining room table. When the housekeeper came to get the trash (she also brought the pest control guy for the regular service) she asked if I was around here because she knows she knows me. I said no, but I was here in January – as soon as I opened the door I knew I’d seen her before too. She said that was it, lol! They were both in and out in no time.

I zapped a couple pieces of the leftover naan bread in the microwave (less than 10 seconds) and spread some of the leftover pimento cheese on each piece. It’s best when served originally, but it’s not bad as a leftover. SB didn’t want anything to eat or drink – probably not wanting to ruin his appetite for later at Skull Creek Boathouse.

I spent some time out on the porch – sitting in one of the rocking chairs, enjoying the nice breeze. I’ll have to get back out there more this trip. I did my 1pm call, then decided to get showered and dressed. The shower sucks! I was so careful, and kept the spray pointed at the wall, but still got a pretty wide area of bathroom floor tile wet. SB was a bigger disaster – who could have seen that coming? Once he was dressed I used the bathmat to wipe up the floor and then threw the wet stuff in the dryer.

We were getting hungry so we decided to not wait for happy hour. The Skull Creek Boathouse lunch menu runs until 4pm so we headed out a little before 2:45. Although it feels like Skull Creek is far away, since it’s almost off the island, it really only takes 16 minutes to get there. Normally this place is mobbed, but at 3pm it’s about as uncrowded as it gets! We got the closest parking space we’ve ever had and were seated right away at a table outside on the deck. I was concerned it might be too warm out there but we had enough shade and the light breeze to keep things comfortable.

The forklift was busy taking boats out of the water and storing them in the boathouse. It’s always funny to me to see a boat go sailing by 6 feet up in the air (or more). Today the lunch specials included a pastrami Rachel – grilled rye bread, pastrami, swiss cheese, cole slaw & 1000 island dressing. It came with fries. The soup of the day was loaded baked potato. SB got the Rachel and appetizer chicken fingers, along with a couple beers. I got a bowl of the soup and a glass of wine but should have gone with the cup since I wasn’t able to finish it. That was partly due to sampling the pastrami Rachel and chicken tenders! The sandwich was really delicious, and not something you see very often.

After settling the check we headed back to the resort, stopping at the Kroger gas station when my tire indicator light came on. Neither of us have much of a clue what we’re doing, but the air machine came on when I tapped my credit card and we filled the 3 tires we could reach until they got to the default 32 psi. The sticker on my car says 35 psi but I think a trusted co-worker told me that was a little too high. I reset the indicator button and it didn’t come back on – let’s hope it stays off until after we’re home.

Our original plan was to visit Top Dawg Tavern for a drink, but SB was full and feeling bloated from all the beer (& food). I was disappointed – I pace myself when we have later plans, so it irritates me he doesn’t do the same. Tonight at Shelter Cove they have live music and some of the restaurants sell portions of their food and drinks (like a mini Food & Wine Festival). It looks like they expect a lot of people, as we saw “event parking” signs even quite a distance away.

I wasn’t ready to just sit in the villa so I headed out to walk around at Shelter Cove. As suspected, there were hundreds of people already waiting in their chairs for the 6pm event to start (it wasn’t even 5 at this point). Top Dawg Tavern was very busy, with all the seating at the railing taken. San Miguel’s was mobbed too – people standing with their drinks because all the seating was taken. I walked around but it was really HOT out there (90+) and a lot of the area was in the sun. I was back in the villa by 5:15 – thankful for air conditioning and ice cold water!

We’ll try Top Dawg another day – for today we’re in for the night. Unfortunately our porch faces west, so the sun is beating down out there. I may be able to set up in the corner pretty well blocked by a tree and get enough shade to enjoy the music at Shelter Cove. At 6 I went out to the porch and was able to drag a rocking chair to a mostly shady spot and moved one of the picnic table benches next to me (in the shade) for my glass of wine. I played on my tablet and enjoyed listening to the concert over in Shelter Cove. The band was good, and the songs were all from my generation so I actually knew them, lol. The applause indicated there was a pretty big crowd and they were happy with the entertainment. When finally just after 7:30 they played America the Beautiful & others were singing along I figured that was the end – and I was right.

By now the sun was close to dropping below the treetops since sunset is just after 8. I took a couple photos and showed one to SB (in the living room watching tv). He asked what it was and I replied it’s what you see when you don’t stay in the room <g>. He wasn’t feeling bloated any more and wanted a sandwich so I made him one before going into the bedroom to finish up the report and watch some of my tv channels.

Today was actually a very nice day. The beach was great, although more crowded than I’m used to this time of year. Everything is more crowded than normal for this time of year, so I guess it’s that pent up demand for travel post covid. It’s certainly not because gas is cheap! Skull Creek Boathouse was good – not as great as Poseidon, but very good. I don’t need to do this place every trip though. Although I’d looked forward to going to Top Dawg Tavern for a drink, with the heat and the crowds I was very happy on the porch. Thankfully we don’t have summer humidity yet, so it’s tolerable.

Tomorrow we’ll spend the morning on the beach – it’s supposed to get hot very early again. We’re doing lunch at Frankie Bones (one of SB’s favorites, and mine too) and have tickets to the Comedy Magic Cabaret at night.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #9
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Soup

My all time favorite soup is potato, so how does their potato soup compare!
dschwarzbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:48 PM   #10
wdw1972
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwarzbauer View Post
My all time favorite soup is potato, so how does their potato soup compare!
It was excellent - very thick, with small pieces of potato, bacon, and cheese. A cup would have been plenty, if eating anything else!