home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default The I'm not going to Disney, sour grapes, TR

Ok, well, not really sour grapes, but long story short....DH and his parents left yesterday for a week in Disney, and kids and I are stuck here at home, schooling and working. This is DH's makeup trip from his 2 cancelled race weekends. First cancelled one being last April, 2020. His parents had already bought military tickets, extended thru Sept, 2021, and wanted to get their trip in. Our APs expire like in 2 wks. RIGHT BEFORE our spring break...if only for 10 more days!
So, I got to shuttle them to the Nashville airport yesterday AM (saving $80 in parking, which I've already spend on shopDisney,)
I'm actually more ok with missing the parks parts, but what I'm kinda bummed about is that DH is staying at Riviera, which we've never tried. Hopefully one day..... Parents at at Shades of Green.

Anyway, I thought I'd still pass along some parts of this trip. I'm enjoying giving my unsolicited advice and tips during the day.

So far his observations/new things:

Magical Express: We've NEVER used it, since we always drive to Disney, he said initial line was crazy long, but once it moved, moved fast, and his bus was only going to Riviera and Carib Beach, but was pretty full

Instacart from Publix: We usually do our own grocery shopping, never ordered. He had some communication issues for the delivery, and spotty cell service on skyliner, and was trying to communicate about substitutions. I think it all worked out, but since we've never used it, was a learning curve.

They got lots of riding done in Epcot. Again, mostly inflated wait times. Test track said 40 mins, they waited 14! walk on at SE, Nemo, did wait 25 out of 35 mins at Soarin,

They tried Regal Eagle. DH was not impressed at all. We have delicious BBQ joints all around here in TN, so expectations, but in the end, he did not like the beans at all, had some sort of spice he hated, not sure what region they're going for, and the brisket was just ok, One and DONE!

First morning on Skyliner today going to HS...he was a bit shocked at the line at CB, but it moved, and he made it in ok,
First time DH had to get a Boarding Group for Rise/Resistance. I was in charge of that last trips. He did get 67, but it was stressful. Wishes it was lower number, but that should actually work good. We had 66 last time, and It worked out good (of course I liked group 7 too)

Shades of Green observations: will check back with in-laws about it, but when they got to Shades, the PX was closed, so they couldnt' get any water, etc. like they'd planned> they knew many restaurants closed, but still surprised at what was open was so limited. They've stayed there several times in the past.
Bus from Shades this morning to HS was COMBINED w AK, and went their first, so while it got them to HS for opening, it wasnt' early.

Excited to hear how they enjoy HS today. It'll be the first time for the in-laws on Slinky Dog, MMRR, and in Black Spire. Plus FIL loves ToT.

Oh well, I guess I better get ready for work, to listen to people yell complain about the stimulus payments they didn't get and the like....while DH is enjoying a Ronto wrap and blue milk....

Last edited by Jedimom3; 03-01-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
ajc
Grand Villa

Take a deep breath and know that you will have some Disney time for yourself. Tag teaming with the kids may not be optimum but make the best of it.
Eat ice cream and waffles for breakfast.
Have an extra cup of tea.
Sleep without DH snoring next to you.
Plan your next DVC trip.
Renew those annual passes!!!
who knows when they will be sold again...
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

Fun report.
Sorry you arenít there.

My kids went to the art festival one weekend and I felt the same.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Ugh so sorry you don't get to go! I would be perfectly fine going to Disney by myself, but I don't think I would like it if DH went without me

Glad he got a boarding group! Re: the baked beans at Regal Eagle. DH had to put a TON of salt on them to be edible. DH said the food "wasn't bad for fake smoked meat." I think this is also a one and done for us too.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Thanks all for the good words and support!

They had a really good day at HS. was busy though. Waits much closer to actual posted times more so than Epcot.
They enjoyed Slinky, Smuggler's Run, and Star Tours, ate, then Toy Story Mania, and RIse/resistance.No missing elements on Rise, and as far was I know, the First Order didn't mess with DH like the last 2 times. He doesn't follow directions!
Didn't make it to Tot, or MMRR, but hope to Wed
They said it was pretty hot today.
Lunch was Backlot Express. In-laws picked it for the Cuban sandwich. Probably DH's last choice to QS in HS. Theme park QS burgers are the WORST! He enjoyed the hummas platter though. MIL has totally gotten the hang of mobile ordering.

Eating supper at Mangino's at Shades/Green.They usually do the buffet, but it's still closed.

I did have such a wonderful time on our trips in Oct, and Nov. so I'm happy for them...but whew, today was rough on the phones, but Mondays usually are.I hope to start planning some sort of getaway for later this year.
Now have to make sure DD is prepping as much as she can for her ACT tomorrow!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
babysimba
Grand Villa

Enjoying your "remote" trip report. Sorry you couldn't tag along, but,you're being a good sport about it.

Bummer about SOG buffet. Understandable, of course, but that buffet is so good and so affordable.
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Sorry you couldnít join, but glad to enjoy your vicarious trip report regardless. Thanks for sharing.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #8
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

Good luck to DD on the ACT.
Math...if she doesn't know the answer right off...guess.
60 questions in 60 minutes.
No penalty for guessing.

That's not the advice I gave in the classroom either...just on the ACT math section.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Sorry you couldnít be there. Still enjoying your remote report. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
ajc
Grand Villa

Our go to for quick service is ABC Comissary (air conditioned) and they have decent pork or shrimp soft tacos which are tasty.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote