home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Default “Other” airlines...

So, since Southwest is dilly-dallying around about releasing September flights, it looks as if I’m going to have to fly one of the “other” airlines this time. I’ve never done that, and I’m not really excited. I get to pay for checked luggage, pay for the privilege of picking a seat. Someone tell me the positives to UA, AA, Delta. Help reconcile me to my fate, please...
Old 02-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
fuzzylogic
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
So, since Southwest is dilly-dallying around about releasing September flights, it looks as if I’m going to have to fly one of the “other” airlines this time. I’ve never done that, and I’m not really excited.
We like Southwest for the points... if it wasn't for that, cash at AA or UA would be just as good. If you find a price you like (considering all the costs) I'd go for it. Or wait for Southwest. What's the hurry? Sep is a long way off and is not a busy time for Orlando flights.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
So, since Southwest is dilly-dallying around about releasing September flights, it looks as if I’m going to have to fly one of the “other” airlines this time. I’ve never done that, and I’m not really excited. I get to pay for checked luggage, pay for the privilege of picking a seat. Someone tell me the positives to UA, AA, Delta. Help reconcile me to my fate, please...
Nothing good to say.

Wait. If you can, wait.

Allegiant. Had to. It went ok, but it’s not Southwest.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

Of the 3, Delta I can live with more than the others. Their fares are always better for me.

Watch what airports you go thru if they are not non stops and give yourself enough time.

DD had a couple flights with Delta and I had a couple as well last year. Not easy to deal with and wild swings in flight times. Much worse than Southwest.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #5
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
Of the 3, Delta I can live with more than the others. Their fares are always better for me.

Watch what airports you go thru if they are not non stops and give yourself enough time.

DD had a couple flights with Delta and I had a couple as well last year. Not easy to deal with and wild swings in flight times. Much worse than Southwest.
Not encouraging. Sigh. I think that at least one of my friends wants to book before prices jump again. Just want to get the best price. Maybe I can convince them to buy refundable tix so that we can cancel if Sw is cheaper when they finally release the next batch.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Not encouraging. Sigh. I think that at least one of my friends wants to book before prices jump again. Just want to get the best price. Maybe I can convince them to buy refundable tix so that we can cancel if Sw is cheaper when they finally release the next batch.
I think those are really expensive.
Check their refund policies right now.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #7
Sarco11
One Bedroom

We really like Delta. I have their AmEx which helps with luggage fees. They have been great during the pandemic, and I have changed/cancelled flights several times with no fees (it may have helped that these flights were made using points). I hope that some flexibility remains in the future without stupid change fees. It helps that both Delta and SW fly nonstop to MCO from our airport. We used SW for two trips in Sept/Oct and they were fine. Currently Delta has more nonstop options than SW, so we used them in Feb. Debating which one to use in April. May split between the two airlines. Hard to beat the SW price currently, but Delta is not that much more, particularly if you are willing to go basic. I also like having an assigned seat.
Sarco11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
Eeyorelover22
Add-on Aficionado

I would add too that you should look at what Southwest is offering out of your airport. Their flights are very different post Covid than pre Covid. Smaller airports have fewer non stops. DD has less choice out of Birmingham. Usually there is only one non stop per day. It’s very different. No one can predict what the fall may offer.

I realize this won’t help you much either with your decision. I was just thinking while I was shredding papers.

DD’s options other than non stop are terrible. Take a look at what they are offering and see if they are even something that will work. It might help make the decision.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #9
ajc
Grand Villa

JetBlue and American are good to fly with; last United Flight I could pick my seat as long as it was "standard" without upcharge fee.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #10
MinnieSueB
One Bedroom

We pay my daughter's college tuition with my AA card so let's just say that I can fly around the world a couple of times with all my miles.

AA's prices were great & in just the last month their prices have really jumped. We were flying out of CLT to MCO for $35 one way but they have quadrupled & now offer "flexible" rate that IF your fare goes down, you can get a voucher for the price difference for a FUTURE flight but they haven't budged for weeks now.

The low-budget carriers here in Charlotte usually keeps AA in line as far as pricing but not lately.

AA will cancel flights & move you to another flight to help them save money. They WILL pack their planes with as many people as possible. PreCovid, AA had 25 flights a day to MCO, now maybe 7 but packed with people.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote