home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Default Crystal Cruises Announces COVID Policy

We have taken a few River Cruises on Crystal and love them, unfortunately but no big surprise or May cruise was just canceled. We do have 2022 cruises booked one a river cruise (Christmas) and the other a small boat cruise from Rome to the Greek Isles.

We just received an email with the new travel restrictions for once they are up and running and it looks like they will require proof of vaccine as well as a recent Covid test. Although this is not DCL or Disney related I thought there may be interest in seeing what other cruise lines are up to. Here is the email:

February 18, 2021

Dear Mr.

We hope this message finds you safe and well. Like you, we are eagerly anticipating our future journey together. In preparation for our return to the seas, we are writing today to alert you to a new Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all guests on all Crystal cruises.

As always, your comfort and well-being remain our top priority. This new measure – part of our Crystal Clean+® 4.0 health and safety protocols – adds to a comprehensive program of precautionary steps that includes negative Covid-19 tests for both guests and crew, reduced capacity, social distancing, nimble mask requirements, health screening questionnaires and more. For your ease of reference, please see FAQs here, and visit the Health & Safety Hub on our website for details on all other protocols; all are updated as new science and information becomes available.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Crystal, Where Luxury is Personal.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services
Old 02-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for sharing this. I can see the lawsuits now.

Where I'm Going 2020:
Aulani - Sunday, December 20 - Friday, January 1, 2021
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
We have taken a few River Cruises on Crystal and love them, unfortunately but no big surprise or May cruise was just canceled. We do have 2022 cruises booked one a river cruise (Christmas) and the other a small boat cruise from Rome to the Greek Isles.

We just received an email with the new travel restrictions for once they are up and running and it looks like they will require proof of vaccine as well as a recent Covid test. Although this is not DCL or Disney related I thought there may be interest in seeing what other cruise lines are up to. Here is the email:

February 18, 2021

Dear Mr.

We hope this message finds you safe and well. Like you, we are eagerly anticipating our future journey together. In preparation for our return to the seas, we are writing today to alert you to a new Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all guests on all Crystal cruises.

As always, your comfort and well-being remain our top priority. This new measure – part of our Crystal Clean+® 4.0 health and safety protocols – adds to a comprehensive program of precautionary steps that includes negative Covid-19 tests for both guests and crew, reduced capacity, social distancing, nimble mask requirements, health screening questionnaires and more. For your ease of reference, please see FAQs here, and visit the Health & Safety Hub on our website for details on all other protocols; all are updated as new science and information becomes available.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Crystal, Where Luxury is Personal.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services
Interesting. This would be something that would help my family want to get on a cruise, other than there not being an approved vaccine for my 5yo and likely not for at least another year.

Interesting to see how this goes in the future, whether state/federal regulations will allow this kind of restriction or not. And if the restrictions stand, if that will encourage people to get vaccinated for vacation or just choose a different path. I'd expect if this gets out you'll see a flood of DINK families filling up their (reduced capacity) bookings. But without kids the cruise line loses that valuable extra income per room also.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post

Interesting to see how this goes in the future, whether state/federal regulations will allow this kind of restriction or not. And if the restrictions stand, if that will encourage people to get vaccinated for vacation or just choose a different path. I'd expect if this gets out you'll see a flood of DINK families filling up their (reduced capacity) bookings. But without kids the cruise line loses that valuable extra income per room also.
We don't have a strong interest in cruising but, if we did, I would expect nothing short of a vaccine-only protocol (testing is, IMO, inadequate) before I would set foot on any ship. Anyone not vaccinated could not board. This would except children too young for vaccine (and then the risk for them is to the parents), but all adults are protected. Of course, as DINKs, we'd favor no-kid cruises anyway.

Our thing is gonna be European river cruises (Viking or similar) anyway, and this is generally less about kids to begin with.

Cheers.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Not shocking. To be honest I don't expect many cruises to be back before children will have access to vaccines. So that aspect I think will be a non issue by then. We are sworn off cruising but I'd be more for vaccination requirements than a reduced experience personally. Goes for concerts, shows etc.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I'm curious about "nimble mask protocol." Didn't read the FAQs, maybe there.

I agree - I would not cruise in the short term unless vaccination was required.

I probably would not cruise until masks are not required. I'm of to check Crystal rates, though, because armchair travel is the next best thing!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We don't have a strong interest in cruising but, if we did, I would expect nothing short of a vaccine-only protocol (testing is, IMO, inadequate) before I would set foot on any ship. Anyone not vaccinated could not board. This would except children too young for vaccine (and then the risk for them is to the parents), but all adults are protected. Of course, as DINKs, we'd favor no-kid cruises anyway.

Our thing is gonna be European river cruises (Viking or similar) anyway, and this is generally less about kids to begin with.

Cheers.
So far we have only done river cruises and Crystal has been great. They are a bit higher end than Viking and for the same size boat have 1/2 the passengers (100 v. 200).
Old 02-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
So far we have only done river cruises and Crystal has been great. They are a bit higher end than Viking and for the same size boat have 1/2 the passengers (100 v. 200).
Thanks. Will definitely look into them. I've only seen the Viking commercials, so they look good. Crystal sounds like it may be just a bit better

Fewer people is always better.

Cheers.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #9
Nickys
Grand Villa

I found this very interesting. Especially that a significant number of their itineraries are in Europe and they are planning to start cruising by the Summer.

As I think I’ve already posted elsewhere, the vaccination roll-out in Europe isn’t going very fast at the moment due to a problem with the supply of anywhere near enough vaccines, and that they didn’t start the programme until after Christmas.

The U.K. is well ahead of Europe yet don’t expect all adults to be vaccinated until late Summer. I would think Europe will be looking at late Fall at least. And I do not believe there will be any way to “jump the queue” and purchase a vaccination ahead of the schedule in any European country. Neither will anyone be able to choose which vaccine they have. For example, Astra Zenica is likely to be a common one, yet I don’t think it’s yet been approved by the FDA. Therefore anyone who received that one won’t be able to book with Crystal until, and if, the FDA approve it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up having to cancel a large number of cruises this Summer and Fall due to a lack of passengers. They may also find they end up losing previous customers simply because they received a “wrong” make of vaccine.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
I found this very interesting. Especially that a significant number of their itineraries are in Europe and they are planning to start cruising by the Summer.

As I think I’ve already posted elsewhere, the vaccination roll-out in Europe isn’t going very fast at the moment due to a problem with the supply of anywhere near enough vaccines, and that they didn’t start the programme until after Christmas.

The U.K. is well ahead of Europe yet don’t expect all adults to be vaccinated until late Summer. I would think Europe will be looking at late Fall at least. And I do not believe there will be any way to “jump the queue” and purchase a vaccination ahead of the schedule in any European country. Neither will anyone be able to choose which vaccine they have. For example, Astra Zenica is likely to be a common one, yet I don’t think it’s yet been approved by the FDA. Therefore anyone who received that one won’t be able to book with Crystal until, and if, the FDA approve it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up having to cancel a large number of cruises this Summer and Fall due to a lack of passengers. They may also find they end up losing previous customers simply because they received a “wrong” make of vaccine.
They mentioned the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine in their write up. It didn't mention FDA approved only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'm curious about "nimble mask protocol." Didn't read the FAQs, maybe there.

I agree - I would not cruise in the short term unless vaccination was required.

I probably would not cruise until masks are not required. I'm of to check Crystal rates, though, because armchair travel is the next best thing!

Dirk
Wasn't able to find about the masks myself.