home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

Default ECV question

As I face the reality that my cardiac issues may not be resolved by April (though I sure am hoping!), I am seriously contemplating an ECV for this trip. I continue to have intermittent issues with a high HR with standing that sometimes brings along dizziness (low blood pressure). For those of you who use ECVs, I should be fine in lines that allow them...the point is to stay seated instead of leaving it to fate whether my HR will spike. Is the ECV enough to manage the parks? It has been a while since we've used one for Nana, and I feel like there are ways to "get in line" at most, if not all, queues. Am I correct in this? I also realize my ride interests may need to change depending on the findings of cardiology next month. This trip is shaping up to be a bit different than those in the past. Planning for how I am now and hoping I will be improved by then.

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

We used one for my sister several years ago. A lot of newer rides you can stay on the ECV BUT there are a few rides that you will need to transfer to a wheel chair - tower of terror is one of them. And some older lines they give you a DAS pass for the ride (I use a walker) and have had this happen twice at Jungle Cruise. Id definitely stop at guest services and request a DAS in your case.

I would suggest just renting one from an outside company and NOT use the ones at the parks as youd still need to get to/from the parks and could have the health issues then too. Plus the daily use ones at the park are pricey!

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but became neighbors of the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB24 View Post
As I face the reality that my cardiac issues may not be resolved by April (though I sure am hoping!), I am seriously contemplating an ECV for this trip. I continue to have intermittent issues with a high HR with standing that sometimes brings along dizziness (low blood pressure). For those of you who use ECVs, I should be fine in lines that allow them...the point is to stay seated instead of leaving it to fate whether my HR will spike. Is the ECV enough to manage the parks? It has been a while since we've used one for Nana, and I feel like there are ways to "get in line" at most, if not all, queues. Am I correct in this? I also realize my ride interests may need to change depending on the findings of cardiology next month. This trip is shaping up to be a bit different than those in the past. Planning for how I am now and hoping I will be improved by then.
Yes, there are very few queues that don't take ECVs (Pirates and Winnie the Pooh are the only ones I can think of).
I had a very hard time accepting that I needed an ECV and called home in tears (it was a solo trip) the first time Iknew I couldn't go on unless I rented one. But people were super nice. Best decision I ever made!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #4
JudieHopps
Grand Villa

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your lingering issues, I do hope they resolve before your trip!
Of course, it sounds like you will be prepared one way or other.
I have never used a ECV, but I realize it could always be a possibility in my future for one reason or another.
I found this on Disney site. Of course not all of these attractions are open now.

Every trips is a new adventure for sure!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...-disabilities/
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
bubster
Grand Villa

I find myself in similar circumstances possibly needing an ECV. For me its the walking, could most likely do ok in the lines since they move slowly. Thank you for posting the above link and any information in this thread.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Can I tag along on this thread because I actually was going to ask this question?

Are they difficult to obtain at park opening?
I want to take my mom who is 82 and Epcot will be too much walking for her. She is having difficulties with her feet and her one ankle.

I may book a one night stay at the YC and then I might rent one. I have no idea what is best. Getting into Epcot thru IG is a long walk too. Thread on where I'd find info on renting one for her?

ETA: I'm sorry to read about your heart issues continuing. I hope they improve over time.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:08 AM   #7
ajc
Grand Villa

My DH has his own that we take on the plane and I rent one from Scooterbug who gives a 10% discount to DVC members. There is a minimum rental period (3 or 4 days).
A few rides have exit lane access (BTMRR, HM), some have return time access, and some require wheel chair transfers, but overall WDW is very accommodating.
CMs will even carry your food to your table.
Enjoy your trip!
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
We used one for my sister several years ago. A lot of newer rides you can stay on the ECV BUT there are a few rides that you will need to transfer to a wheel chair - tower of terror is one of them. And some older lines they give you a DAS pass for the ride (I use a walker) and have had this happen twice at Jungle Cruise. Id definitely stop at guest services and request a DAS in your case.

I would suggest just renting one from an outside company and NOT use the ones at the parks as youd still need to get to/from the parks and could have the health issues then too. Plus the daily use ones at the park are pricey!
Thank you. I am sitting on the fence for the DAS because I really think I will be okay if I have the ability to sit in the line. I am also hopeful that things only improve between now and then. If not, it is on my "just in case list."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Yes, there are very few queues that don't take ECVs (Pirates and Winnie the Pooh are the only ones I can think of).
I had a very hard time accepting that I needed an ECV and called home in tears (it was a solo trip) the first time Iknew I couldn't go on unless I rented one. But people were super nice. Best decision I ever made!
Definitely not my preference, but I would rather have one than not go. My mental health needs a break. We had thought to do other parks this trip instead of Disney, but the longer I am not feeling normal, the more I want to return to what I know. There is less anxiety for me at Disney, even in a modified capacity than trying new places with so much unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
Sorry to hear of your lingering issues, I do hope they resolve before your trip!
Of course, it sounds like you will be prepared one way or other.
I have never used a ECV, but I realize it could always be a possibility in my future for one reason or another.
I found this on Disney site. Of course not all of these attractions are open now.

Every trips is a new adventure for sure!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...-disabilities/
Thank you! And a great perspective! It is always a different kind of trip, and this one was already different due to the pandemic. I am looking forward to being out of the snow and surrounded by the Disney bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
I find myself in similar circumstances possibly needing an ECV. For me its the walking, could most likely do ok in the lines since they move slowly. Thank you for posting the above link and any information in this thread.
We have used one in the past when I went with my mom before she had hip surgery. She did not like it much, but I told her a scooter or surgery. Surgery had to wait. We just took our time, and we formed a wall around her to keep people from darting out in front of her. This caused her the most trouble as she almost hit a kid who ran right in front of her. She said it was worse than traffic in NYC...of course, if you've ever been with Nana in her native NYC, that is a story to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
Can I tag along on this thread because I actually was going to ask this question?

Are they difficult to obtain at park opening?
I want to take my mom who is 82 and Epcot will be too much walking for her. She is having difficulties with her feet and her one ankle.

I may book a one night stay at the YC and then I might rent one. I have no idea what is best. Getting into Epcot thru IG is a long walk too. Thread on where I'd find info on renting one for her?

ETA: I'm sorry to read about your heart issues continuing. I hope they improve over time.
Thank you! Today is Day 3 of feeling a bit "better." I have been cycling two good days and then a few bad as far as the HR and fatigue go. I am hopeful that I may be turning a corner because despite the elevated HR this morning, I have slept well the past three nights, and the pain is manageable. Fingers crossed for this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
My DH has his own that we take on the plane and I rent one from Scooterbug who gives a 10% discount to DVC members. There is a minimum rental period (3 or 4 days).
A few rides have exit lane access (BTMRR, HM), some have return time access, and some require wheel chair transfers, but overall WDW is very accommodating.
Enjoy your trip!
This is very helpful. Thank you! I have not started looking at companies. We used someone years ago for my step-dad on our first trip. I cannot remember who we used, but they could not just drop the scooter at bell services. We had to meet them in the lobby of BLT...something about Disney approved vendors.

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Thank you. I am sitting on the fence for the DAS because I really think I will be okay if I have the ability to sit in the line. I am also hopeful that things only improve between now and then. If not, it is on my "just in case list."

Definitely not my preference, but I would rather have one than not go. My mental health needs a break. We had thought to do other parks this trip instead of Disney, but the longer I am not feeling normal, the more I want to return to what I know. There is less anxiety for me at Disney, even in a modified capacity than trying new places with so much unknown.

This is very helpful. Thank you! I have not started looking at companies. We used someone years ago for my step-dad on our first trip. I cannot remember who we used, but they could not just drop the scooter at bell services. We had to meet them in the lobby of BLT...something about Disney approved vendors.
Scooterbug is the WDW approved vendor at this time and the scooter is always at bell services when we arrive.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #10
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
Enjoy your trip!
I looked at them. I think you can do just 1 day its just $60. Price goes down as you go up in days. Of course, I didnt try to reserve it yet either. My friend says Disneys are $50. Piece of mind knowing Id have it.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote