home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: If you have rented your points out in the last few months, has it been . .
The same as before in price and length of time to rent 7 18.42%
Same time as before but lower price per point 5 13.16%
Longer to rent and lower price per point 12 31.58%
Longer to rent but same price per point 6 15.79%
Quicker than before but at same price per point 1 2.63%
Quicker than before and at lower price per point 1 2.63%
I will not rent my point out at bargain rates 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Owners: Has Renting Been Hard or Easier?

Given discussing in another thread, I'm curious. Please answer the poll if you have rented out your points and provide an commentary to add to the discussion.

Thanks!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
Oh_Joy!
Studio

My personal experience is that it has taken longer to rent my points. Itís probably due to my unwillingness to lower my asking price. My points were not distressed and I feel that $17/point for BWV and VGF is quite reasonable given what a broker would charge. Iím also more flexible with regards to rescheduling for guests than the brokers are. But there are a lot of people who are fishing for fire sale prices of $8-$10 per point and the ability to cancel for any reason. At that price, I would rather give the points away to a friend or relative.
Oh_Joy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
pereed11
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

It seems like a lot of points are being rented around the $14-$16pp range. That is a great option for a renter but would be really interested in hearing/learning the numbers of what "pandemic booking" has looked like.

I would love to go soon, and maybe will but I like to do so much more than just the parks (resort hopping, eating, monorailing, shuttle launching) and I have a feeling that is seriously limited at this point.
pereed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Joy! View Post
My personal experience is that it has taken longer to rent my points. Itís probably due to my unwillingness to lower my asking price. My points were not distressed and I feel that $17/point for BWV and VGF is quite reasonable given what a broker would charge. Iím also more flexible with regards to rescheduling for guests than the brokers are. But there are a lot of people who are fishing for fire sale prices of $8-$10 per point and the ability to cancel for any reason. At that price, I would rather give the points away to a friend or relative.
100%

newbies think $10pp is normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereed11 View Post
It seems like a lot of points are being rented around the $14-$16pp range. That is a great option for a renter but would be really interested in hearing/learning the numbers of what "pandemic booking" has looked like.

I would love to go soon, and maybe will but I like to do so much more than just the parks (resort hopping, eating, monorailing, shuttle launching) and I have a feeling that is seriously limited at this point.
I would not classify WDW as seriously limited at all, but there is definitely a difference from pre-covid
Old 02-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
Nickys
Grand Villa

I donít have a lot to compare to, since in 2019 I rented through a broker.

However after the re-opening I rented some points out but was left with about 30 which I gave to someone for a weekend at Kidani.

When I decided to go ahead and rent out my next set of banked points around about October, I had lots of people ask me within an hour of posting. Still getting PMs to see if I have any left.

So Iíd say it was quicker than back in May / June for sure.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
tnt_2006
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Just chiming in from the perspective of a renting owner. We are owners but were short on points and rented a few weeks ago for a trip coming up in a week. The renter that posted their points did not have it up very long and were asking $16/point. They had around 500 available I believe and I think they rented them out completely in a couple weeks.
They had quite a few posts on MO, references, and used a contract which gave me confidence as a first time renter.
I monitored for a while in December/January and saw a lot of owners renting points out at $16 but the ones that seemed experienced renters went quickly. I think $16 is a great value.
$10 pp?? Are there owners out there selling points at that price? Please PM Me if your are interested in sending a transfer my way
May 2018 BLT/Art of Animation
May 2019 AKV Kidani
Jan 2020 OKW/VGF
Feb 2021 AKV/OKW
tnt_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Joy! View Post
Same for us. Right now everyone is looking for a bargain, and there are so many with distressed points from last year's closure, many owners are willing to offer them cheap. So it's been more difficult than before. Our points are not distressed, and at least for now, we are not willing to go lower.

The points we have available were from rentals we canceled and refunded last year.

We'd love to use them ourselves, but at the moment it doesn't look like we will be able to travel this year.

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Commish
One Bedroom

I have stopped trying to rent while the system is flooded with Owners dumping points (no problem with this, every person has the right to protect their own financial interest)

I reserved a few BRV rooms (50th) and was happy to do my first point transfer to my first renter. I have been discounting points to those who have inquired

I have no interest in being the provider of "distressed points" or distressed rates, DVC points are too valuable to provide renter with below market deals - but as a soon to be Florida resident - I would be doing the same!

I have rented to many very nice families and they eventually will be emailing for availability and we can get back to having fun.

My fun during COVID is booking 1 night stays for my Boys (24,21) and Nephew (former CM with guest passes) They have had 2BR BW, BC Studio, an SSR Studio and I know they enjoyed the OKW 2BR near Hospitality House. Eventually I might need to start charging them, but its good to have them enjoying WDW again.

Since I am not staying at DVC, improvised with this doormat for the house
Old 02-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #9
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Smile Renting has been harder

Renting is harder. I am downsizing and I think other large point holders are also right sizing.

So although there is a glut of points for renters to choose from, I think 5 years maybe a different story.

Weíll see
Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Dirk, you should add one more option, would you let your point expire then renting out at $10/pp

I would not rent out to someone who is looking to exploit I have let the points expire last month and will do the same this month.

All cheap points offered are from people who come to board just to quickly unload their points, my experience is seasoned owners are holding on to their points.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote