home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Default The End of Emotional Support Animals?

See YouTube video here from a recognized travel expert.

Thought it might be of interest since there have been a number of posts in the past concerning this topic. (See if you can find my response... )

And yes certified dogs are still OK, but that's pretty much it.

Last edited by erikthewise; 01-10-2021 at 11:14 AM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I think you mean actual service dogs (not certified) are okay. To add in case others missed, some flights are pretty clear on what animals even in that class of service animals are allowed. Some are making dog only, so no miniature horses. As an fyi no service animal is certified at this time, but are required to perform a task.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rt-us-airlines

I am personally glad. This ESA thing has gotten out of hand. I hope businesses will start to scrutinize more. Said as a total animal lover too.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

This is welcome news for travelers. Long overdue.

Cheers.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I think you mean actual service dogs (not certified) are okay.
Yes of course. Not owning a dog, I was not aware of the distinction.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I think what is sad is the amount of abuse that has gone into this. I watched something on the news a while back about emotional support animals and the original intent to allow them on planes and into other areas was with good cause (eg: war veterans with PTSD ect). It was abused and used beyond its original intent. So sad.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I think you mean actual service dogs (not certified) are okay. To add in case others missed, some flights are pretty clear on what animals even in that class of service animals are allowed. Some are making dog only, so no miniature horses. As an fyi no service animal is certified at this time, but are required to perform a task.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rt-us-airlines

I am personally glad. This ESA thing has gotten out of hand. I hope businesses will start to scrutinize more. Said as a total animal lover too.
I echo this...I am glad that this is the case. Emotional support animals need virtually NO training. As someone who works with service dogs in training, it is very frustrating to come in contact with poorly behaved emotional support animals out in public.
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Yes of course. Not owning a dog, I was not aware of the distinction.
I have friends who do and my family used to volunteer at the guide dog school a few miles from my house. They used to come to our neighborhood to practice before covid. Was always neat to watch. Those dogs are amazing! The whole process is cool to watch. I know Disney+ had a bit on puppy raisers and training dogs and such, but theirs seemed way shorter and not as intense as the ones I'm aware of. Classes for first time handlers usually were closer to a month too.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
I think what is sad is the amount of abuse that has gone into this. I watched something on the news a while back about emotional support animals and the original intent to allow them on planes and into other areas was with good cause (eg: war veterans with PTSD ect). It was abused and used beyond its original intent. So sad.
MA redefined the laws so it is a civil infraction to pass off your dog as a service animal. Emotional support and therapy dogs are not allowed in the same places as service animals.
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
PTSD can get service animals. They perform a task to actively help the handler in situations.
https://www.verywellmind.com/the-pro...d-ptsd-2797679

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetbeauty View Post
I echo this...I am glad that this is the case. Emotional support animals need virtually NO training. As someone who works with service dogs in training, it is very frustrating to come in contact with poorly behaved emotional support animals out in public.
I've seen people at Disney try to pass off obvious ESA as Service Dogs too and it shows in the actions of the dogs. It really bugs me. It's unfair to all, dog included in many cases as they are not meant to be put in those situations, to try to fake your way just so your pooch can go with you.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetbeauty View Post
To be faair, in a lot of traveling we've come across a number of not-officially-trained ESAs. The majority of these are truly well-behaved even without the proper Support training. It has still bee an abuse, but my experience shows generally good behavior.

Cheers.