home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Default Thanksgiving trip, 2020 style

What a long day this has been!

Woke up at 2:30 am CST because we booked the god awful early flight. Everything went smooth until we arrived at BLT, to find no scooter. We ordered from Scooter Bug (first time - we've always used Buena Vista rentals before). I had a reservation confirmation email from them, so I clicked on the link in that email, and it showed the reservation as "unconfirmed". I clicked to confirm it, and it asks for cc number again. I filled out that form, and this time received another reservation confirmation along with a payment receipt. I called them, and they said they would have one on the next truck, which was 2 hours away.

Well we didn't want to wait so we walked over to MK and enjoyed our day. We found lines were blocks long, but moved fast. Still, it was more waiting in line than we've ever done in the past. Not a fan, but this is the reality of 2020.

Everyone was doing well wearing the mask, and mostly social distancing. Some didn't seem to notice the marks in the lines, but it wasn't always obvious who was traveling together either...I saw a few groups that appeared to be around 6, with one couple who wanted to hang back a bit to be "alone" so that might have explained some of the people standing partway between the lines.

We rode 4 or 5 things, had a few pictures made, and saw a couple of cavalcades. We had a good time. My wife was hurting by this time...at the end of the day, my phone shows 17k steps and she made them all with sciatica acting up (always seems to know when we're going to Disney...).

So we head back to the room, pick up the scooter, and find out they didn't send the cup holder that we "bought" for $10. I called and they said they would bring one over, then called back to say the driver left it. I said just give us a credit and they said they would. We'll see.

We went up to our room and only one magic band worked. At least we got in the room. Bell Services brought up our bags and we sat for a bit to relax before going over to the wave for our reservation. As soon as we check in, Instacart calls and says they'll be early with our delivery. I told them to wait as we were just about to sit down for dinner. They did wait, but not without calling 2 more times. More frustration. By this time, I need the wine with dinner!

The wave was fanastic as usual, and I was just finished eating when Instacart arrived. I left DW to pay the tab and strolled over to receive the groceries ( the driver insisted upon seeing my ID which was why I had to be there). Brought everything up to find that 2 items had been deleted from the list without her ever mentioning it. Normally they are texting while shopping to see if we want to swap. More frustration. While accepting the delivery, I asked @ bell services for a cart to haul the groceries up. They eventually found one, but it was just a busy time with several people arriving at once. A very friendly couple who were there to claim their bags from bell services offered to help bring in the groceries and even to come back down with their cart when they unloaded it. I didn't get their name, but I'm kind of hoping they'll be at the meetup Monday night. That would be great

So, overall the frustrating moments were minor but they seemed to pile up. Add to that wearing a mask all day gave me a headache (maybe re breathing the air? I don't know). Anyway, it's all good now as we are relaxing with a little SEC football and a cold beer in a very nice 1br lakeview room with a great view. I'll try to get a pic of the view tomorrow to share, didn't think to do that before sundown. This is our first time @ BLT. So far, we like it. The walk to MK of course is awesome, and we have enjoying watching the fireworks from ToTWL in the past (can't do that this trip, of course...).

Looking forward to the last day of F&W tomorrow @ Epcot. This will be our first time to experience F&W.

Here's a pic from our day at the park. I kind of like the new look of the castle. DW said she's not a fan so far. Maybe it will grow on her. We didn't stay around past dark to see the projections, and we're too tired to go back now to check it out, but we'll have another MK day that me might do that.

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Thanks for sharing!

Those little things can add up and set the tone for the whole trip. Hopefully Day 2 is much better for you. We always use Buena Vista scooter just because they always get it right, even if it is a few dollars more. Our last trip, we tried Amazon for our grocery order and they royally screwed it up. We are going back to Garden Grocer, again they are more expensive but they get it right and on time.....every trip. Can't put a price on the level of peace of mind.

We have found that the social distancing and covid rules are well practiced and well enforced in WDW. There are only two instances that I have observed when everyone forgets......1) when it rains, everyone huddles together to get out of the rain 2) when everyone gets off and leaves an attraction.

We love The Wave and have never been disappointed with a meal from there. The restaurant regularly makes into our dining plans while at WDW.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Those little things can add up and set the tone for the whole trip. Hopefully Day 2 is much better for you. We always use Buena Vista scooter just because they always get it right, even if it is a few dollars more. Our last trip, we tried Amazon for our grocery order and they royally screwed it up. We are going back to Garden Grocer, again they are more expensive but they get it right and on time.....every trip. Can't put a price on the level of peace of mind.

We have found that the social distancing and covid rules are well practiced and well enforced in WDW. There are only two instances that I have observed when everyone forgets......1) when it rains, everyone huddles together to get out of the rain 2) when everyone gets off and leaves an attraction.

We love The Wave and have never been disappointed with a meal from there. The restaurant regularly makes into our dining plans while at WDW.

Another time I noticed was people gathered outside a q/s restaurant, waiting for their order to be ready. Pretty good gathering there yesterday.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Glad you had a fun first day. Sorry about the minor mishaps. We used Scooterbug for our trip in October and didn’t have any problems.
Love your shirt. If I can ask, where did you get it? Hope you enjoy the Food and Wine.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Sorry about all those initial frustrations. Hopefully today will go a whole lot more smoothly! Hope your DW is feeling better. BLT is a great resort. We’ve never tried the Wave but hope to. Sure hope you enjoy food and wine. Try and look ahead at menus and pace yourself! Thanks for sharing the TR and fun!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspus View Post
Glad you had a fun first day. Sorry about the minor mishaps. We used Scooterbug for our trip in October and didn’t have any problems.
Love your shirt. If I can ask, where did you get it? Hope you enjoy the Food and Wine.
It was an ad on facebook. We all got one. I had so many comments about it yesterday that my wife said she doesn't want to wear hers! Everywhere I go with that shirt someone comments on it.

This isn't where I bought mine, but here's a link I found:

https://myfrogtee.com/product/baby-y...on-club-shirt/
Old 11-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Not the best of starts but fortunately all minor annoyances. Hope everything is wonderful from here on out!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #8
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

A good day today - no frustration!

We slept late and still made it to Epcot just 30 minutes after rope drop. It felt weird going in the front gate - haven't done that in years. We went straight to the WS and headed around Mexico side. The construction walls made it hard for me to navigate - I got lost just trying to get to WS, but we finally figured it out.

We walked past several booths, checking out the menus. I had already decided I wanted the Jerk Chicken from Island of the Caribbean, and everyone went along with that. We all enjoyed it, although my son just picked out the chicken and left almost all of the mango and potatoes. I also had the Playalinda Wheat Ale which was very good. They got a coke slushy at Refreshment Outpust, and I had the Safari Amber Draft. We stopped again at Italy where they got cannolis and I got the Margherita pizza. They said the cannolis were wonderful, and they did look good. I was pretty full by this time so I decided to wait for desert. DW said she wanted the New England Lobster roll that I remembered seeing on the menu. I thought it was at one of the booths at the World Showcase Marketplaces, and I knew the Liquid Nitro cake pops were there, so we went there but discovered I was wrong about the lobster roll. DS and I had a cake pop (wasn't super impressed...it was good, but not what I was expecting). I looked up the Lobster Roll and realized it was back at America, so we backtracked and got that (along with the Heavy Seas Americannon APA).

Now everyone was done eating, so we walked over to Living with the Land and walked right on to it. Then we got in line for Soarin'. The posted wait time was 50 minutes, but we timed it at 27 minutes to the point where Patrick started talking. After that, we road Spaceship Earth and then Mission Space. Having just about exhausted the rides and nearing time for dinner, we headed back to WS to search France for a specific set of ears some friends wanted us to bring back. We found them, but DW had waited outside because she didn't want to ride the scooter through the crowd in the pavillion and we weren't sure those were the right ones (she had the photo on her phone). We came back out and realized that was what she wanted, but went on to Italy for dinner first, then came back to get them after.

Dinner was Via Napoli - first time to eat there, and we all decided to get the Piccante Pizza (Italian Sausage). There was a brief discussion about the size, but after googling a picture of the Mezzo Metro, we settled on Large which was perfect - we had 1 slice remaining. Everyone had a Cannoli for desert, and loved it. I was disappointed that it wasn't coated in chocolate like the one from the booth, but of course it was delicious anyway. DW was shocked that a pizza dinner was $120 (with tip), but I don't know why...it's Disney!

One more trip to Soarin' for the evening shorter wait time, and we headed out. The scooter battery needle was going down then back up, and we were a little concerned about it making the trip back but we made it with no issues and now we're resting our tired feet in the room...20k steps today! More than just my feet are sore...

Here's the view from our room:

and DW in front of the Christmas tree:

Old 11-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
melk
Grand Villa

Sounds like a fun trip, making the best of things. Enjoy!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
amydevoe
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
It was an ad on facebook. We all got one. I had so many comments about it yesterday that my wife said she doesn't want to wear hers! Everywhere I go with that shirt someone comments on it.

This isn't where I bought mine, but here's a link I found:

https://myfrogtee.com/product/baby-y...on-club-shirt/
Thanks for sharing where you got your shirt, I too was going to ask!
Hope you have a great trip!
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote