home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
jtrobi
Studio

Default Recommendations on bike riding at Disney?

Hey yíall! I have a Trek fitness bike (not a mountain bike and not a road bike) and am considering bringing it with me next week. Iíve read there is a 3/4 mile path at Fort Wilderness but I am curious...have you brought your bike and experienced any safe, fun (15 mile) rides originating from or near the resorts? We are staying at Bay Lake. Thanks everyone! JT
jtrobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrobi View Post
Hey yíall! I have a Trek fitness bike (not a mountain bike and not a road bike) and am considering bringing it with me next week. Iíve read there is a 3/4 mile path at Fort Wilderness but I am curious...have you brought your bike and experienced any safe, fun (15 mile) rides originating from or near the resorts? We are staying at Bay Lake. Thanks everyone! JT
As long as you are on Disney property, you'll be taking your life into your own hands with drivers inexperienced with driving on Disney property. What do you plan to do with your bike while you are not riding it? You'll probably need to keep it inside your room or your vehicle. If you drive offsite, there are a bunch of bike trails to ride on. Just google Orlando Bike Trails.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

I agree with Deb&Bill, I wouldnít ride a bike on most of Disney property. There are no bike lanes and barely shoulders on the roads. Personally, Iíd leave the bike home OR leave Disney to go riding! Again, where will you store the bike?

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but became neighbors of the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Agree as well. Not as familiar with the BLT area, but know well the Boardwalk area. In order to get enough distance for running (and we're only talking 6 or so miles) I find myself out on Epcot Resorts Blvd. It has sidewalks most (but not all) of the way, so running is OK. Wouldn't want to ride there, though. And out on Buena Vista would be worse as there is more traffic.

WDW is not bike-friendly.

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
D&MourDVC
Studio

The only place I would ride my bicycle at WDW is at Fort Wilderness campground. Itís nice to ride around all the camping loops. There used to be a walking/bike path from the wilderness lodge to fort wilderness but when they started building Reflections it was closed.
D&MourDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
melk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MourDVC View Post
The only place I would ride my bicycle at WDW is at Fort Wilderness campground. Itís nice to ride around all the camping loops. There used to be a walking/bike path from the wilderness lodge to fort wilderness but when they started building Reflections it was closed.
Thatís exactly where I was thinking. The loops are fun to ride around and see peopleís setups, but itís a leisurely ride for sure.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

My recommendation is that unless you are a very accomplished road rider that is very comfortable sharing the road with cars I would leave the bike home and ride the Lifecycle in the hotel gym.

If you are an accomplished road rider or you want to transport your bike a few miles off property there are options. There is a route that runs down 535 onto Disney property by the front of Golden Oak to world drive then left on to Seven Seas drive turn right up past GF and on to Reams Road. You should be able to find the exact route on apps like ridewithgps.com. We started doing this ride during the shut down and still continue the ride as a very early morning ride. The only place with a bike lane is from the GF to Reams Road so you will be mixing it up with the cars. Like I said we do it early so the Disney buses aren't really running yet which helps but as park capacity changes I would expect traffic to build and we will probably drop this ride. You have another issue staying at BLT, the part of the road that goes under the water bridge by BLT is posted no bikes. These means you would have to ride back stage past the Tron construction to start the ride. While this is technically a private Disney road it is commonly used as a public road to get to Reams Road and Cast parking in back of MK. But this means that Disney Security can take exception for you riding on it.

If you have a car and want to transport the bike there are also several miles of MUPs within a few miles of the park in Horizon West area and about 20min away in Winter Garden is the West Orange trail. The West Orange Trail is part of the Coast to Coast trail across Central Florida.

I was shocked when I came down here the the Florida Drivers are actually pretty good at sharing the road with bikes. I don't think I have been buzzed or honked at once riding in Florida, while back in SoCal it was pretty much a daily occurrence. Of course Florida drivers probably see the number of riders in a year that a SoCal driver sees in a morning.

As other haven mentioned the campground is a pretty nice place to cruse around but since you currently can't ride from the wilderness lodge to the campground it is pretty limited.

have fun and stay safe.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

We rented bikes at Ft. Wilderness and absolutely loved it. Of course, we were focused on driving around the loops to see everyone's home away from homes and not distance, but I believe we got a lot of distance in. It was fun, relaxing with a perk of getting exercise in without focusing on it (my kind of exercising!)
Old 11-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

My son used to ride on the West Orange Trail when he lived in Orlando.

Your problem with riding at Fort Wilderness is getting your bike there. They haven't been letting anyone not staying there park in the lot and there isn't even a boat currently running between BLT/CR and FW. Just getting to FW on a bike will be a problem.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:51 AM   #10
jtrobi
Studio

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone!
jtrobi is offline   Reply With Quote