home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Default Non DVC trip to HHI...photos added

When- Arriving tomorrow 10/24 and leaving 11/1. Heading out today and stopping in hotel tonight. Hope to arrive by noon tomorrow so DH can watch his Buckeyes.

Where- DH booked a 1BR condo on VRBO in Shipyard. He booked for an anniversary gift and chose this unit because it was cheap and allowed us to bring the dog. It looks a little...um...dumpy. We shall see.

Who- Just DH and I and the pup.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Last edited by Lamima; 11-01-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
When- Arriving tomorrow 10/24 and leaving 11/1. Heading out today and stopping in hotel tonight. Hope to arrive by noon tomorrow so DH can watch his Buckeyes.

Where- DH booked a 1BR condo on VRBO in Shipyard. He booked for an anniversary gift and chose this unit because it was cheap and allowed us to bring the dog. It looks a little...um...dumpy. We shall see.

Who- Just DH and I and the pup.
Have a good trip! I think my husband is excited for the buckeyes too. I'm still torn on if this season should've happened or not.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Enjoy!!
Shipyard is very nice!! I know they have different sections and models, but when I toured with the realtor everything was clean and well kept. Great location too!

Iíve found HHI to be my social distanced haven these past few months.

Never crowded and plenty to do.
We called in Sea Shack order last visit and glad we did!! That was the most people Iíve seen in 1 place.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Have a good trip! I think my husband is excited for the buckeyes too. I'm still torn on if this season should've happened or not.
My husband is very excited. He wanted to see Justin Fields' last year. And I am secretly glad it's an abbreviated season. Lol!

Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Old 10-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
Enjoy!!
Shipyard is very nice!! I know they have different sections and models, but when I toured with the realtor everything was clean and well kept. Great location too!

Iíve found HHI to be my social distanced haven these past few months.

Never crowded and plenty to do.
We called in Sea Shack order last visit and glad we did!! That was the most people Iíve seen in 1 place.
This is our first stay not in Shelter Cove. We have done Disney and Harbourside all our other trips. But we are looking at buying a quarter share down the line and Brigantine is an option over in Shipyard so we wanted to see how we like it over there. The condo we rented is in the Greens. We also plan to drive through where the Westin is in Folley Field/Port Royal area because they have a quarter share called Ocean Palms and it comes with access to the Westin amenities including the Gym.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:12 AM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Left my mom's house in MD at 2:30 today. Hit traffic all through to Fredericksburg VA. Sometimes just thick but moving and sometimes a dead standstill. Added 45 mins to the drive time.

Somewhere on the outskirts of Richmond we wanted to stop at a fast food place for dinner since we had the dog with us. Figured we would run in to use rest room and eat real quick. DH popped in to gas station and I walked the dog.

Then we went over to the Wendys across the road. Doors were locked and noticed a sign that said something like dining room closed. We tried another place and same thing. Ugghh. We don't do fast food so we had no idea. Just assumed many would be open for eat in like regular restaurants where we live. I checked the Google maps to see what places were open for eating in and all but Chick Fil A and Taco Bell had the open for eat in thing checked green. Not sure why.

We went to another gas station that had a Subway inside and went in to use the potty and then grab subs. Took to the car and ate them before driving on with me driving this next bit.

Chose a Holiday Inn Express that allowed dogs and had to drive 15 mins off the highway. We are in Pembroke. There were some hotels on the highway right when we got off but the ones that allowed dogs were like Roadway Inn or some such random name and like $48 a night or some shockingly low cost.

We got here a little before 10pm. I tweaked my back getting the bag out of the car. Then once in the room the dog was very nervous for about 90 mins and finally settled down a little bit ago. He is an old fella and can't jump up on the bed so he ran around from side to side scratching to get out attention until he wore himself out. I had to drag myself, with back pain, out to the car to get his dog bed hoping that would calm him. He ignored it. But eventually chilled out and laid down (not in his bed).

Off to sleep....probably need to be on road by 8.15 to get to HHI in time for the big game.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Traveling with doggy always difficult, though definitely understood why you wanted him with you. Safe travels the rest of the way, and enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Left my mom's house in MD at 2:30 today. Hit traffic all through to Fredericksburg VA. Sometimes just thick but moving and sometimes a dead standstill. Added 45 mins to the drive time.

Somewhere on the outskirts of Richmond we wanted to stop at a fast food place for dinner since we had the dog with us. Figured we would run in to use rest room and eat real quick. DH popped in to gas station and I walked the dog.

Then we went over to the Wendys across the road. Doors were locked and noticed a sign that said something like dining room closed. We tried another place and same thing. Ugghh. We don't do fast food so we had no idea. Just assumed many would be open for eat in like regular restaurants where we live. I checked the Google maps to see what places were open for eating in and all but Chick Fil A and Taco Bell had the open for eat in thing checked green. Not sure why.

We went to another gas station that had a Subway inside and went in to use the potty and then grab subs. Took to the car and ate them before driving on with me driving this next bit.

Chose a Holiday Inn Express that allowed dogs and had to drive 15 mins off the highway. We are in Pembroke. There were some hotels on the highway right when we got off but the ones that allowed dogs were like Roadway Inn or some such random name and like $48 a night or some shockingly low cost.

We got here a little before 10pm. I tweaked my back getting the bag out of the car. Then once in the room the dog was very nervous for about 90 mins and finally settled down a little bit ago. He is an old fella and can't jump up on the bed so he ran around from side to side scratching to get out attention until he wore himself out. I had to drag myself, with back pain, out to the car to get his dog bed hoping that would calm him. He ignored it. But eventually chilled out and laid down (not in his bed).

Off to sleep....probably need to be on road by 8.15 to get to HHI in time for the big game.
Hope the travel was easy for you today.

Game ended well too!
Old 10-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #9
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

So we left the hotel a little before 8am. Got in to HHI right before noon. I posted on a FB HHI page asking for recommends for place to sit outside with dog and watch game on TV. Got a suggestion of Street Meet American Tavern. So hey, why not. Pulled in and it was in a strip mall but it was pretty low key and empty in this plaza (as in not much people traffic). The restaurant had tables set up out front with TVs all over. It was very reasonably priced food (drinks were pricey...DH's 5 beers were $50). Not the best food ever but decent pub fare. And the Buckeyes won!

We had the dog and this was the very 1st time in his 14 years that we took him out to eat with us. He is not fond of other dogs so we typically can't take him anywhere or he acts the fool. But he did well and was laser focused on food. He sat right by us for our food and then sat laser staring at other tables when they got their food. But he didn't bark and act like a maniac so we were pleased. And he got some attention from other diners and severs.

When we left we drove to the Vacasa office to pick up our check in packet. Check in was 4pm. We got to office about 3:37. They reiterated a 4pm check in but we ignored. I saw online that our condo was vacant the week before. So we drove over and used the keycode to open the door. It was like 3.45 ish and all good.

We went in and checked it out. It is in need of some TLC. Way less kept up than DVC. Even not up to the standard of the quarter share place we stay at and are interested in buying. Needs paint and new carpet badly. But it's not dirty. Just worn. I think.

Then we walked the dog with plans to walk to the beach. But we didn't know which way to go. So we meandered along and then swung back to jump in our car and drive over to beach. Not far so we can walk next time.

Was also a 1st for our dog to be on a beach at the ocean. We wondered how he'd do and he did better than we expected. He was not in love with the ocean but didn't seem scared at all and seemed to like to chase the very edge of the tide every now and then. There were a ton of dogs. Some off leash because they can be certain times (I think after Labor Day). My guy didn't love that either. I had to grab him up when another dog ran up to see him.

We met another PA resident with her DD and chatted for about 2 hours. They were very nice.The girl loved petting Woody and he loved getting the attention.

Then we left and came back to the condo. We FaceTimed with our DDs for a bit and then I went to unpack while the hubs watched TV...some game or another. Then, because the dog seemed way over exhausted and would stress more if we left him, we ordered delivery from Hickory Tavern on Uber Eats.

DH got nachos and I got a kids chicken tender meal. His nachos was like in a jumbo pan...like 4 pounds of nachos. And my 'kids' meal was like 5 tenders and a pound of tater tots and a big bowl of Mac and cheese (told DH that one kids meal would have fed ALL 3 of our kids when they were young). And it was like 23$. Great deal. We have food left over for another time now. And I have to say their tenders are sooooo so good. I have pics of all this to post. But on my phone so when I get on a computer I will share the pics of today.

Now we are goofy tired. Probably hitting the hay soon. So early...like our parents. Need to go to the grocery store tomorrow. Hope we can leave the dog in condo and venture out. It is like having a toddler. I even caught myself telling DH to shush when he jumped up in the armchair here and fell asleep. I was like 'dont move or say a word so as not to wake him'.

Oh...the weather. It is like 80 here. Pretty perfect. Not too hot and not cold. The ocean water is warm too. And jelly fish have had their heyday. Perfect time here. Not crazy busy either. Though we have not hit the primo tourist stops yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Edited Sunday morning to say....after a full night here I have to say this place is pretty nasty. Needs a complete overhaul. And the bed is rickety so anytime the DH moved it shook me awake. Never realized just how much DH moves around in his sleep. Needless to say I got 4 hours of sleep.

Last edited by Lamima; 10-25-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Little tiny roaches in kitchen. Uggh. And then DH tried to connect to wifi and no dice. Called management company and they sent someone over. Been working on it for a while. Eating up our day.

Got up and showered and went to Skillets for breakfast. It was drizzling. Poured last night too. Had some omelets and coffee. Was very good. They gave a 10% discount too. Then went to Piggly Wiggly. Got back and discovered the wifi deal.