home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Default A Much-Needed Fall Break!

This trip has been planned since last November...pre-world-changing Covid. DH & I celebrated our 15th anniversary in June. We planned on this trip being our adults-only anniversary trip because we wanted to go to Food & Wine sans kids. Our summer trip was scheduled for the end of July and I just didnít feel like there was enough time between when WDW reopened to our trip dates to decide if it was truly safe. Plus, the mask-wearing thing was still somewhat new and the thought of wearing a mask in 90 degree heat was just not our idea of a good time. Well Covid changed a lot of things in our world; my grandmother passed away and we decided to purchase her home. Between selling our home, moving, starting a master suite renovation and going back to school amid a pandemic, this trip is necessary!! DH & I talked to our kids (6 & 11) and they were both completely happy with spending the weekend at home with their grandparents. Now that weíre getting closer to our trip, the kids are starting to get a little bummed that weíre going without them, but theyíll get over it. We promised them that if the trip felt safe we would bring them back in February (already booked as well).

The lack of park-hopping and the need to make park reservations is still a little disappointing to us. In a pre-Covid world, we would hop around the parks, but spend every day at Food & Wine. Instead, we will go to Epcot on Thursday & Friday. It also seems the crowds are coming back. Iím still very much looking forward to this trip, but I worry the changes will negatively impact us a bit.

The plan:
Wednesday - SWA flight out of CMH, land at MCO at 10:15am. Our original flight was at 6am, but that got canceled and we ended up on this one. We got a great deal on a rental car through Hertz. If anyone has read my past TRs, you will know we strongly dislike Disney transportation normally, so we were definitely happy to get a rental for this trip. We will head straight to AK since they have a park closing time of 5pm. We are staying in a studio at BLT (our home) and have dinner reservations at The Wave at 7pm. This will be our first time eating inside a restaurant since March! Depending on what time we leave AK, we will head to Publix or another grocery either before or after dinner to buy the essentials (i.e. alcohol!).

Thursday - We have reservations at Grand Floridian Cafe at 8:30 am. Our first time there was last summer and I have been craving the eggs benedict trio ever since. If youíve been recently and the trio is not on the menu, please donít tell me. Iíll just be disappointed on that day. I donít want to be disappointed every single day from now until Thursday. I think the limited dining menus might be something Iím most disappointed about on this trip. We will then head to Epcot for the day and eat ourselves around the world while taking breaks for rides.

Friday - This is our 2nd Epcot day. Epcot has extended their hours until 9pm this night! We will likely eat a light breakfast and eat & drink around the world all day. We typically go back for a rest in the middle of the day. Iím not sure if we will since itís just us, but the extended hours will give us the choice.

Saturday - This was originally supposed to be our DHS day, but I chickened out and got a MK park pass instead. We had a terrible time getting ROTR boarding groups in February and I just didnít want the stress or hassle this trip, especially when itís just supposed to be a low-key trip. MK hours are extended this night as well. I think they were originally supposed to close at 6 but itís changed to 8. We have a reservation at Skipper Canteen at 5 (a first for us!)

Sunday - Our last day. We will pack up and put our bags in the rental early and walk to MK for rope drop. Weíll do whatever we can/want for a few hours and then head to the airport around 2pm.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

I hope you have a great trip!
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds excellent. Enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #4
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
This trip has been planned since last November...pre-world-changing Covid. DH & I celebrated our 15th anniversary in June. We planned on this trip being our adults-only anniversary trip because we wanted to go to Food & Wine sans kids. Our summer trip was scheduled for the end of July and I just didnít feel like there was enough time between when WDW reopened to our trip dates to decide if it was truly safe. Plus, the mask-wearing thing was still somewhat new and the thought of wearing a mask in 90 degree heat was just not our idea of a good time. Well Covid changed a lot of things in our world; my grandmother passed away and we decided to purchase her home. Between selling our home, moving, starting a master suite renovation and going back to school amid a pandemic, this trip is necessary!! DH & I talked to our kids (6 & 11) and they were both completely happy with spending the weekend at home with their grandparents. Now that weíre getting closer to our trip, the kids are starting to get a little bummed that weíre going without them, but theyíll get over it. We promised them that if the trip felt safe we would bring them back in February (already booked as well).

The lack of park-hopping and the need to make park reservations is still a little disappointing to us. In a pre-Covid world, we would hop around the parks, but spend every day at Food & Wine. Instead, we will go to Epcot on Thursday & Friday. It also seems the crowds are coming back. Iím still very much looking forward to this trip, but I worry the changes will negatively impact us a bit.

The plan:
Wednesday - SWA flight out of CMH, land at MCO at 10:15am. Our original flight was at 6am, but that got canceled and we ended up on this one. We got a great deal on a rental car through Hertz. If anyone has read my past TRs, you will know we strongly dislike Disney transportation normally, so we were definitely happy to get a rental for this trip. We will head straight to AK since they have a park closing time of 5pm. We are staying in a studio at BLT (our home) and have dinner reservations at The Wave at 7pm. This will be our first time eating inside a restaurant since March! Depending on what time we leave AK, we will head to Publix or another grocery either before or after dinner to buy the essentials (i.e. alcohol!).

Thursday - We have reservations at Grand Floridian Cafe at 8:30 am. Our first time there was last summer and I have been craving the eggs benedict trio ever since. If youíve been recently and the trio is not on the menu, please donít tell me. Iíll just be disappointed on that day. I donít want to be disappointed every single day from now until Thursday. I think the limited dining menus might be something Iím most disappointed about on this trip. We will then head to Epcot for the day and eat ourselves around the world while taking breaks for rides.

Friday - This is our 2nd Epcot day. Epcot has extended their hours until 9pm this night! We will likely eat a light breakfast and eat & drink around the world all day. We typically go back for a rest in the middle of the day. Iím not sure if we will since itís just us, but the extended hours will give us the choice.

Saturday - This was originally supposed to be our DHS day, but I chickened out and got a MK park pass instead. We had a terrible time getting ROTR boarding groups in February and I just didnít want the stress or hassle this trip, especially when itís just supposed to be a low-key trip. MK hours are extended this night as well. I think they were originally supposed to close at 6 but itís changed to 8. We have a reservation at Skipper Canteen at 5 (a first for us!)

Sunday - Our last day. We will pack up and put our bags in the rental early and walk to MK for rope drop. Weíll do whatever we can/want for a few hours and then head to the airport around 2pm.
Sounds wonderful! Hope you all have a great trip!!
We enjoy Skipper Canteen. We had a great skipper last time, lots of fun, and hopefully you can still look around the place a little.
hope it'll be a little cooler weather for y'all. Last week was hot, but I think this week is a little milder. we found lots of good eats at F/W.
Enjoy!!!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #5
ajc
Grand Villa

Skipper Canteen and a bottle of wine in the SEA room (society of explorers and adventurers as a nod to the Pleasure Island Adventurers club) is our favorite! The butterfly booth is our favorite and worth the wait if available as a party of 2.
Pay close attention to the titles on the wall bookcase!
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Have a safe flight and great trip!!!

We are also leaving this afternoon around 2:30pm for WDW. Getting a car rental if a good idea with the new rules, if not use Uber/lyft.

We ate at the Wave two weeks ago. The tables are really spaced apart, no worries on people being too close. Pre-Covid, the tables in the restaurant were already generously spaced apart....one of the things I like about eating at the restaurant.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Have a safe flight and great trip!!!

We are also leaving this afternoon around 2:30pm for WDW. Getting a car rental if a good idea with the new rules, if not use Uber/lyft.

We ate at the Wave two weeks ago. The tables are really spaced apart, no worries on people being too close. Pre-Covid, the tables in the restaurant were already generously spaced apart....one of the things I like about eating at the restaurant.
Enjoy!!
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Have a great time! 8am flights out of CMH are great. Not too early and not too late. Shouldn't be much traffic either (there hasn't been much traffic lately) Safe travels!
Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #9
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Nice plans. Hope you have a great trip.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

Safe flight and have a great time!

You too Tom!

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote