home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
Suz333
Two Bedroom

Default IPhone 6? No food for you!

Okay, not really, but head’s up:

If you have IPhone 6 or older, your phone is no longer fully compatible with My Disney Experience, as of just a few days ago

We were at the magic kingdom yesterday (Sunday) and kept having trouble with mobile ordering. After being turned away from cosmic rays, we went to guest services on main street. That cast member advised us to make sure we had down loaded the latest update, which she said was just a few days old. In the App, it looked like we have the latest update, date is September 29. She advised that there was one that was just a couple days old. Eventually we showed her what our latest IOS update was, and apparently our phones are no longer supported by Apple.

Obviously we’re not prepared to go buy new phones during our vacation, so we’re limping along and asking cast members where the non-mobile order line is is, but I just wanted to let folks know. This is a recent issue, so not all of the cast members know. Hopefully this might spare someone else the frustration of staring at a “build your order screen that just stays blank for 15 minutes plus!
Suz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
flypwm
Two Bedroom

The MDE app has been unstable on the iPhone 6 for a couple of years now, at least. One of my motivators for finally upgrading out of it was a trip we had coming to WDW a couple years back, and the app was very slow and crashing quite a bit. That said, the ip6 came out a hair over 6 years ago, and has been unsupported by Apple since last summer. I miss mine, mostly because it was the last "right" sized iphone for me, so I hear you!

Anyhow, it's an old phone, and I'm not here to rag on it. I'd suggest that there's good value in used iphones a couple of generations behind, or in a pinch, the original iPhone SE is still supported - although iOS 14 might be its last.

I tend to buy my phones in either good or mint condition (sometimes someone selling their still-wrapped warranty replacement) on www.swappa.com. I have no affiliation with that site, other than to say I've bought a few phones from sellers there, and have had my father do the same. It's reputable in that they don't allow broken phones to be listed, every listing has pictures, and sellers are expected to answer questions and sometimes haggle a little.

You're best off buying an unlocked model so that you can bounce between lower priced MVNOs (and international carriers when you travel) by swapping SIMs. Xfinity Mobile and Visible are two that resell Verizon at far better than direct carrier pricing - Visible itself is $40/mo unlimited everything, and is owned by Verizon. If you do this, though, double-check that the specific iPhone model (Axxx) supports the carrier bands you want. For the most part, anything iPhone 7 or newer is fairly global.

More than I intended to type out, but I've been down this road.

Last edited by flypwm; 10-13-2020 at 12:30 AM.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
bubster
Grand Villa

Yikes! I’ve stubbornly held on to my iPhone 6 without too many issues so far but this has pushed me over the edge. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Oh my word! I have a iPhone 6s and just tried to pull up "Order Food." It's totally blank!!! I'm no techy, but this is just ridiculous. Now another thing to worry about....first ROTR and now wondering if I can get food!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I hate when developers no longer support older devices. Especially when the devices are not that old ans are in perfect working condition.

I had a similar experience with my Living room TV. It was 5 years old and Samsung stop no longer supported updates for the TV, making it useless to download apps like Disney+.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I just checked and iPhone 6 came out in 2014, and were discontinued in 2016.
In June 2019, Apple announced that it will drop support for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus with the release of iOS 13.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I hate when developers no longer support older devices. Especially when the devices are not that old ans are in perfect working condition.

I had a similar experience with my Living room TV. It was 5 years old and Samsung stop no longer supported updates for the TV, making it useless to download apps like Disney+.
This makes me angry too. Just a sleazy way to sell more products.

As for the tv we were able to load Disney+ on the Firestick and it works fine.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

This is just another example of why a Disney vacation is has gotten way too complicated. Disney is showing very little consideration for people who don't find value in have the latest and shiniest if a perfectly good predecessor still meets their needs.

A simple solution would be to have ordering stations around the parks, but no . . .

Or to allow online ordering through the phone's web browser . . .

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
In June 2019, Apple announced that it will drop support for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus with the release of iOS 13.
I tech world that's pretty ancient.

I get the issues with old software and how it might not work with new. I also get not supporting outdated hardware. It still sucks when one day something works and the next quite literally it does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
This is just another example of why a Disney vacation is has gotten way too complicated. Disney is showing very little consideration for people who don't find value in have the latest and shiniest if a perfectly good predecessor still meets their needs.

A simple solution would be to have ordering stations around the parks, but no . . .

Or to allow online ordering through the phone's web browser . . .

Dirk
They could do many things. Our zoo had socially distanced lines for food court lunch purchases. Another uses a kiosk to order. They could easily do a kiosk outside. Or online web. Or anything. Disney tech is sooooo lazy.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
The last update on my 6 says 12.4.8

New update is 14.0.1

That really shouldn’t make that much difference, should it?

It must....It won’t even let me sign into MDE right now.

Last edited by bubster; 10-13-2020 at 09:02 AM.
bubster is offline   Reply With Quote