home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Default FINAL UPDATE: Problem getting refund for Hopper Pass 9/24/2020

Hi all- I gifted my son and his gf two 5 day hoppers for this trip (he arrived yesterday). When we found out that hopping wouldn't be allowed several months ago, I called Disney and they assured me that he would get a refund for the hopper- all he had to do was go to Guest Services. Well, he just left Guest Services and was told because the ticket prices have gone up since they were purchased, he cannot get a refund for the hopper portion of his ticket. He would not have used his hopper tickets if we knew this.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Tessa; 10-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

So these were tickets that you purchased back before date specific tickets came into being? If so then yes, they now have a fixed price attached to them.

Assuming your son would have purchased new tickets for this trip if that had been known I think I'd go back to GS and ask for a manager to speak to and explain that you had been told there would be a refund for the tickets and it wasn't properly explained that the pricing difference changed that. Ask if the ticket can be restored and a different one purchased or comp tickets with hopping given for the ticket that was used and that they would purchase new tickets for their entry this trip. I have zero idea if it will work but those older tickets have the value in being used as they were and you/he is losing that.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Very good suggestions from @Goofygrl. We went through this recently for my brother-in-law. He hadn't used the ticket, so they refunded the Hopper plus the extra day that we couldn't use due to changed park hours. But it was at current prices. Now, he had bought from UT, so he actually made money on that, but that is how they do things

They are generally amenable to working with people, but this would definitely an exception and "favor."

In general, always best to handle things before tickets are used, just in case.

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
So these were tickets that you purchased back before date specific tickets came into being? If so then yes, they now have a fixed price attached to them.

Assuming your son would have purchased new tickets for this trip if that had been known I think I'd go back to GS and ask for a manager to speak to and explain that you had been told there would be a refund for the tickets and it wasn't properly explained that the pricing difference changed that. Ask if the ticket can be restored and a different one purchased or comp tickets with hopping given for the ticket that was used and that they would purchase new tickets for their entry this trip. I have zero idea if it will work but those older tickets have the value in being used as they were and you/he is losing that.
This is a great idea!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Thanks all for your suggestions. As always, what bothers me is that I anticipated this problem so I called beforehand to receive guidance. He is in his early 20s, and I think he was kind of blown off. He is a nice person, so didn't push it. I NEVER would have given him these tickets if we weren't told he would receive a credit for the hopper option. And of course, with the very short park hours, no one wants to spend an hour of their time at Guest Services.

I will report back...
Old 09-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions. As always, what bothers me is that I anticipated this problem so I called beforehand to receive guidance. He is in his early 20s, and I think he was kind of blown off. He is a nice person, so didn't push it. I NEVER would have given him these tickets if we weren't told he would receive a credit for the hopper option. And of course, with the very short park hours, no one wants to spend an hour of their time at Guest Services.

I will report back...
Oh I get that. There's little that annoys more than putting the time in up front to bypass issues and then still having them because you received incorrect info. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Oh I get that. There's little that annoys more than putting the time in up front to bypass issues and then still having them because you received incorrect info. Good luck!
I get that too. I just rarely trust what CS reps tell me if there's anything I can do to take extra precautions. Shouldn't be, but it is. Many places.

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:

I will report back...
Maybe he could go to Guest Services at Disney Springs? That way he avoids wasting precious park time trying to deal with it.

I hope he gets a satisfactory result, it definitely seems unfair.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Default Update

Well, since I was the one who purchased and gifted him the tickets, I called ticket services at 407-566-4985. (Option 4). After almost a 90 minute wait time, I spoke to a very help CM who said that yes, he should have been given a gift card for the amount of the hopper option. However, she was concerned that messing with his ticket might impact some aspects of their trip (they are there now), and told me to call back once their trip is over. I have her name and time of our call, so I feel optimistic at this point. I will post another update next week.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Well, since I was the one who purchased and gifted him the tickets, I called ticket services at 407-566-4985. (Option 4). After almost a 90 minute wait time, I spoke to a very help CM who said that yes, he should have been given a gift card for the amount of the hopper option. However, she was concerned that messing with his ticket might impact some aspects of their trip (they are there now), and told me to call back once their trip is over. I have her name and time of our call, so I feel optimistic at this point. I will post another update next week.
Best of luck! Sounds like a less than magical way to spend your day, but at least your son and his GF are having fun? Hope that Disney makes this right for you!