home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
jflatto
Grand Villa

Default Mulan success??

Just wondering if anyone has seen any "real" information on how Mulan is performing from a financial perspective being released on streaming versus the theaters?

I have seen that Tenet is performing poorly in the US due to a variety of reasons. Some may be related to the movie itself ignoring the impact of Covid and others can be related such as theaters in some of the major markets in the US being closed.

Wonder Woman has been pushed back to Christmas (boo, one of the movies I really want to see). Black Widow is up in the air ever though I don't think its release date has been officially changed.

Thus, I am curious how successful Disney's "experiment" has been performing from a financial aspect and ignoring some of the associated issues related to boycotting for various reasons.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Curious too...I want to see it but will wait for it to be free on plus
Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Rigby
Banned

We liked it. Hope they make a bundle. Everyone should check it out!
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Don’t think anything has been officially released aside from wait until the next quarterly earnings. Likely not the best sign, but who knows...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Too soon to know.....Sales figures have not been released. There was a side benefit of Disney+ had a jump in subscriptions tied to the release of Mulan.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
chunter
Two Bedroom

Saw Tenet in the theater with my oldest. It did not disappoint. My kids aren't interested in seeing Mulan. We might watch it when its free.
chunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/w...ina-debut.html

According to NYT. Milan fizzled in China. It was not true enough to the original poem “the legend of Milan”. It was too westernized and details such as the type house she loved in and emperor Milan would have served were wrong. Milan in the poem was from the the North. It is also Han centered and Milan was set 400 years earlier .

None of these things matter to Americans . But apparently do for the Chinese audience .

I am waiting to watch in Dec.

It is not meant to be a historically accurate account but rather an action film.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
reblzmom
Grand Villa

We enjoyed it very much. The scenery was fantastic - nothing earth shattering in the story line but it was well done. We will share with other family and didn't feel the $30 was a problem. Made our own popcorn.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
administrator
Please don't make me want to smack you upside the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
We liked it. Hope they make a bundle. Everyone should check it out!
No thanks.

I hope they lose $$ with this film.

Disney does not exist in a bubble. And when it supports the violation of human rights, it needs to be called out and punished.

https://www.vogue.com/article/mulan-...ersy-explained
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
No thanks.

I hope they lose $$ with this film.

Disney does not exist in a bubble. And when it supports the violation of human rights, it needs to be called out and punished.

https://www.vogue.com/article/mulan-...ersy-explained
And they said that's a main reason why it did so bad in China, so I read.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote