home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Downsizing DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Have you Downsized DVC?

If you've reduced your points for any reason, start a thread to tell us your story and why you decided to slim down the DVC waistline!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

We slimmed down five years ago, after Robin's accident. That year after the accident was rough. We cleaned up our DVC portfolio, got rid of extra rental contracts and contracts in the wrong Use Year. In total, we sold off around 900 points. Since then, we have added back 550 points with three Grand Floridian contracts and a Saratoga Springs resale contract. Currently, we are around 1750 points.

Looking back, we realize that we were dealing with depression post-accident. If we had put off selling the contracts for another year, we probably would not have sold off any of the contracts. The recovery was hard for Robin, and indirectly me too. Here we are 5.5 years later and we are still dealing with post-accident issues. The difference is now we recognize and can accepted the changes from the accident. Earlier in the year, before the pandemic hit, we both realized that for the first time since the accident, we were both in a really good place and a great frame of mind. Then March came in, and with it Covid-19.....
Old 09-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Subscribing...

Not planning a downsize but I am fascinated on how many people hold points just to rent out. I notice many have many points and only use a portion themselves and rent the rest as a side hustle. Granted I have thought of doing this on a larger scale myself but was afraid of the commitment and work involved. I suspect this COVID causes a bit of stress for them.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Rozzie
Add-on Aficionado

We just sold our main SSR contract this past week.

Over the years we have sold and bought, I think the highest was 320. (SSR, BLT) When we moved to FL we sold some as "why have DVC when we live here" mentality but we quickly realized we love the DVC experience. Even though we have a CM discount we wanted more points to keep our trips up in Deluxe accommodations. (I have to have a BALCONY!)

We bought another 175 this past January with a too good to pass up CM discount at DVR. Then Covid hit and we really had to readjust to reality and decided we needed less yearly overhead. So SSR our main contract was put up for sale, sold in 3 days.

To be honest, Covid really rattled our financial cage. We are okay thank goodness but the future looks very uncertain. While we are eternally grateful for DH to be back at work he took a bit pay hit and my job in healthcare looks very different than it has in the past 20 years. It will be nice to put the extra cash in our "disaster" account. I am not confident where we will be financially next year but trimming down to be ready for it seemed like a wise move.
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Just sold about 1/2 our points. Got a good deal on them so we bought but they just didn't fit us (poly/ssr) and broke about even on them plus used them for the cost of MF's for a few years. Looking to replace some at resorts we would rather be at if covid goes away soon.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Interested in hearing stories, because we're currently considering selling off some of our points. As we advance in age, WDW just doesn't hold the appeal it once did. We do love DHHIR, but only in the off-season. DH has has Melanoma, so the sun, that is lying in the sun at the beach or pool, just doesn't hold appeal.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I've decided as soon as I can free up the reservations I have on my 170 point HHI contract that I'm going to sell it.

I have a couple of reasons for selling it:

1) I have found that although it is nice to have the 11 month owner window for booking my annual 4th of July trip to Hilton Head, for that last two years I've found that with tenacity of stalking the RAT and wait lists, I have been able to use my other (less expensive) DVC points to book HHI over that weekend

2) Now that I've been to HHI for the past 4 years my BFF and I have learned more about the island, and where we would like to stay. We're also thinking of adding our husbands into the mix and feel a condo might suit our needs better. During the summer, HHI is in Premier season, and we found that we can probably rent a 2 bdrm condo for less than DVC.

3) I have two kids now that are going to be heading off to College and lightening my DVC MF responsibility will be a relief.

4) Flexibility to not choose DVC. Let's face it a lot of times we choose at DVC stay because "it's paid for" -- I'm ready to branch out and not be beholden to DVC.

Probably more contract sales for me on the horizon, but HHI will be the first to be sold.

Wish me luck!

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 09-10-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
fuzzylogic
Banned

We sold some points a few years back... Not due to Covid or parting ways or anything; it was just the thing to do. We were buying a car, and paying off any other loan is a better use of $20k than holding a timeshare. Otherwise you're indirectly financing the timeshare. The rest of our points tho we'll never sell. They're resale BLT points that are grandfathered in to benefits and anywhere-bookings... that's irreplaceable today.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
mcbuckeye
Two Bedroom

We had 310 BLT points, purchased direct at the intro of the property.

I broke that into 3 contracts--110, 100, 100.

About 4 years ago, sold the 110 contract to help pay for first kid in college.

A couple years later sold the remaining 2 x 100 contracts to pay for more college.

Made a pretty significant profit on the sale of the points versus what we paid.

Certainly have missed WDW the last couple years. But somewhat glad not to have points currently with COVID going on.

Would probably buy points in the future if we can.
mcbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #10
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

At my high point I had about 600 points, I now have 50

My original purchase as a 160 resale at OKW. Sold that several years ago. I got out of public accounting and discovered that I no longer had 8 weeks of PTO Decided that needed to go.

That left me with two BCV (100 and 50), 100 at SSR and 2 AKV (100 and 50) I stayed there until about 3 years ago. That's when I let my AP go and realized that Disney had changed and I had changed... and we were changing in different directions. I was INCREDIBLY disappointed with the decisions to basically gut the live entertainment at Epcot and Studios (and don't even get me started on "teaching your kids to kill trees with chainsaws" as entertainment!) Then the let's make Norway into a "made up country" and do rework of the ride while hyping the "you know what" out of it... Once Disney decided to basically abandon Epcot I knew it was time for me to reconsider so, I originally sold SSR and planned to keep the rest, but over the last year looking at the resale value and the member fees I came to the realization that for what I was paying Disney in fees I could stay someplace nice. The final blow was a visit to Universal... Uh, Disney WAKE UP, your competition is blowing you out of the water... they had LIVE entertainment, they didn't tell me "well since you came at the last minute all you can do is tour gift shops" and their AP pricing is outstanding.

So in 2019 I sold BCV (and made a LOT of money, that was a great deal) and this year sold one AKV.

I am holding onto the last contract and will see how I feel in another 12 months.

It's been a great run. I couldn't even begin to figure out how many nights I stayed and I had some great experiences, but... last Spring when we were planning a long weekend get away it was "Disney or All Inclusive in Mexico" (for the same price and that included "free" lodging at Disney LOL!) And we voted "Mexico" ..... For my upcoming weekend I thought "well I could go to Epcot for a day" Hmm.. it opens at 11, it closes at 7 and they want $135 for that day???? Guess not. My reaction to both of these decision points tells me that my decision to move on from DVC has been the right one for me.

I never planned to hold on to them forever (sorry, but leaving my heirs a liability seems just to be a bad idea IMHO so they had to go before I do!)

For those of you doing math there was a HHI contract.... it's been gone a long time...

Last edited by CarolA; 09-09-2020 at 03:51 PM.
CarolA is online now   Reply With Quote