home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Default Disney Nail Art Travels the World

9-4 thru 9-18.
Me (Kim, 55 but very close to 56)
DH (Bill, 57)
The start of this trip is not Disney, but the end is and since many are curious about travel I thought I’d start with that piece.

The pandemic brought about many changes in our lives so I thought why not do my first trip report on MO. When we first travelled to WDW I did reports just for us so we would remember the trip in future years. I’m not sure when I stopped that practice but I think it was when the kids started high school and we were just too busy with HS sports and we’d have our trip sandwiched between events. I may finish this when we are home but thought I’d start. I’m on my phone which is a bit annoying and I don’t know any easy way to post pics, but I’ll learn...maybe. DH is handy with tech stuff and I can learn, but I have found I’m somewhat dysfunctional since I retired and if something reminds me of work too much I don’t want to be bothered.

This trip was our rescheduled late September trip to attend the Halloween party and to enjoy Food and Wine. Our party of 2 was, at different points, originally a party of 6 with our kids joining us for one weekend and I had cash rooms at Riviera to zip over to Epcot for F&W. I booked them way back when we fell in love with RR when we had New Year’s Day breakfast at Topolino’s. That get together may happen in November so I’m crossing my fingers. DS and DD haven’t seen each other in person for 2 years since DS’s wedding. School and jobs have kept them apart so that is very sad and they are close for brother and sister.

So...we begin. After much angst we booked flights out of our home airport in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on Allegiant. Since 2008, we have flown Southwest out of Chicago Midway but with their city’s quarantine rules we had to leave our beloved SWA for Allegiant. Their fares were $56 each way and their cancellation policy is lenient compared to pre-Covid so we jumped on it. When booking we secured the price for one checked bag and bought our seats. DH pushed for buying seats. Our love for SWA grew more with this trip. Tuesday pre trip we had a luggage meltdown trying to pack, determine personal item size and suitcase weight which on Allegiant is 40 pounds. I think SWA is 50. Bill was being pinged by co-workers about how picky Allegiant was about personal items and he had to bring his laptop as he is working remote one day this trip. So...being 3 pounds over the 40 pounds we just paid for another checked bag and realized it was probably the best $30 we had ever spent. After that decision, it was a breeze. Allegiant also charges for carry ons. I had already ordered food for me and delivered it to DS’s home is GA. I have many allergies and food intolerances so I normally have a Vera bag filled with cereal and other foods for our trip. Free shipping worked better than paying for a carry on. That additional checked bag will cost me more though because now I can buy merch in the world!!

Going to post and continue so I don’t delete this working on my phone....

Last edited by Eeyorelover22; 09-23-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Off to a great start! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

The morning of 9/4 finally arrived. For the first time ever we were driven to the airport which was really amazing. My Local Disney buddy picked us up at 6:30 and we were off to the airport. I had mentioned to Kim (yes, we both have the same name) that there were lots of seats on the plane and I didn’t think it was a full flight. She flies Allegiant often and knew that most have seats assigned at check in. Allegiant indicated we should arrive 2 hours early and their ticket counter closes 45 minutes before the flight so we arrived just before 7 am and their counter was just opening. There were two groups in front of us. We socially distanced in line and we stood and watched the extra fees add up for the travelers in front of us. Paying ahead on Allegiant saves lots of money. Our bag was $30 ahead to check and I believe $50 at the airport. 1st group had $100 added on. 2nd person was 3 pounds over so that was $50. Glad we paid ahead. We had our boarding pass on our phone and printed because they charge $5 to print one for you. I started to wonder if they would charge for fastening our seatbelts or using the bathroom in flight, but they didn’t...just for water and snacks but we were set there.

Our airport has a mask order and so does Allegiant but unlike other airlines I do not believe they are leaving middle seats open but you’re still possibly sitting in a row next to someone anyway. We dropped our bags and headed to security. We have TSA precheck is a must with Bill. His hatred for traveling is intense and his ability to be totally flustered with even small tasks is immense while on the road. It was odd though as I approached the conveyor belt to scan my Mickey Vera crossbody bag and Vera backpack to not find this procedure familiar since we hadn’t flown in nearly a year plus it was a new airport. The line without precheck was longggg. The security at our airport was always very annoying and I don’t miss that at all. I always said they were stopping world terrorism from the cornfields of Iowa. They are super checkers which is good but at the same time it causes very long lines at a very small airport. Our airport has had some amazing upgrades! It was under construction when I flew out last summer on Delta to visit my parents in Michigan. It is a beautiful facility and actually has a real coffee shop with Disney priced coffee and water. We opted for two waters and two large coffees. I didn’t realize the error of my ways until a few moments later.... While at Midway, we plant ourselves and DH goes on missions for bottled water and coffee/hot water. We could see our gate and most of the airport from the coffee shop strategically located in the center of the concourse, the very small concourse. I was living on the edge and did get coffee with cream so stepped over to add them to my coffee and it was real cream so I was in luck. When I came back around poor Bill was in a struggle of his life not being able to keep his backpack and cpap from dropping off his shoulders while holding onto his HUGE bottled water and HOT coffee. Mom to the rescue! He’s my oldest child so I stepped in. He secured his backpack on both shoulders and swung this cpap strap securely on his shoulder and I grabbed his HOT coffee right before he almost dumped it all over me He proceeded to tell me he could then handle coffee but with my teacher voice I instructed him to the new comfy chairs where we sat and then I handed him his coffee when he was safely planted. He thanked me and muttered about he hated travel day. Oh dear...we are only 60 minutes in Dude.

The coffee was good and very hot...burnt the roof of my mouth but that won’t be the only injury of the day. I was wired for sound after that coffee. It wasn’t too long before humans started invading the gate area. Based on other photos I’ve seen from airports this was packed. They started boarding with some extra paid perk first and then from the back of the plane to the front. This is actually smarter than the front to back and it took Covid for airlines to figure this out. The space under the seat is small and personal item backpacks really can’t be crammed full so we were glad we lightened the bulk of Bill’s backpack with additional checked bag. I took my chips out of my backpack so I wouldn’t crush them and put them on the seat. This caused great conversation with our flight attendant several times during the flight...she was so inquisitive about my organic sea salt kettle brand chips. It was sort of strange.

Allegiant is not keeping middle seats open and the flight was about 80% full. They had people in a few cases three across not in the same travel party but did allow them to move before we took off. We were very happy we paid for our seats. Most people wore their masks except for one man who wore his around his neck the entire time it was strange being around people again and rejoining civilization after 6 months.

We took off on time and we did fist bumps as we lifted off into the sky.

Never thought we’d make it with all the changes and the derecho hitting three weeks before our trip.

More later on flight and arrival in Sanford Fl.
Family is up so I much cherish our time ....

Last edited by Eeyorelover22; 09-18-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Nice start. Glad you were able to go. Looking forward to more.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
Rozzie
Add-on Aficionado

I am very happy to follow along!
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

ME Nicole ,DH , DS : , DD , DD
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #7
helenabear