home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
griffithok
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Just stayed at AKL- Jambo House and got a great upgrade!

Hi all,
We just got back from AKL- Jambo House. I had 17 points expiring on July 31st in my DVC account and since I work from home, my son and I went to Universal Studios and Island of Adventure for the day and headed back to AKL-Jambo house after a day at the parks.
I will say, as a Disney AP I am disappointed that so many days are blacked out. But we had purchased tickets to Universal and had 2 days left on the pass (now we have 1 day left). Our day was super fun, I suggest everyone gets a wand and just hangs out in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade.
Unfortunately, I found out when we went back to the parking garage that I had a nail in my tire.
We were very lucky to go to a local repair shop and they patched my tire for FREE. My day only got better when we showed up to AKL- Jambo House and found that we had been upgraded from a Value studio to a Safari View. My son and I spent the next few hours watching the sun set and the animals graze. It was amazing (I even Facetimed various family members).
I love Disney and love when they sprinkle magic on someone's day. I hadn't asked or said anything, I had checked in online and when I got my room number, I new since it was an even number I was facing inward which meant it was a safari view.
Happy vacation to everyone!
Cathy
griffithok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Smile Sounds wonderful

Glad u had a great trip.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Very nice. Glad you enjoyed!
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
SAMAYA
Studio

Talking

That's good to hear and great that a cast-member added a little more magic to your vacation, shame you were not staying longer. I wonder if this was a one off or is an unofficial policy to upgrade members where possible.
SAMAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
griffithok

Thank you everyone! I too am curious if this is a new "policy" to upgrade DVC. I am staying at Boardwalk on Sep 4th for my birthday so we will see.
Cathy
griffithok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Nice upgrade. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithok View Post
My day only got better when we showed up to AKL- Jambo House and found that we had been upgraded from a Value studio to a Safari View.
Did you actually stay in Jambo House or were you moved to Kidani Village?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithok View Post
Thank you everyone! I too am curious if this is a new "policy" to upgrade DVC. I am staying at Boardwalk on Sep 4th for my birthday so we will see.
There is NO upgrade policy when staying on points. If you do happen to get an "upgrade", it's likely due to your assigned room being taken out of service and no other rooms in that exact booking category are available.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom

check your points. I was "upgraded without asking" once and they took the points for the upgrade from my account. It took several phone calls to fix this as the cast member put that I requested an upgrade into the system.
meeskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
elliececil

Some of the values are safari view... standard no chance. I've lucked out several times with value and safari view.
elliececil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
ryanm
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliececil View Post
Some of the values are safari view... standard no chance. I've lucked out several times with value and safari view.
At Jambo House around half of the "standard view" rooms are actually Savanna view. They are technically obstructed Savanna view, but the views have typically been pretty good. We've stayed over 60 nights in Jambo House standard view rooms and have always received an obstructed savanna view room.