home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Default Uncertainty....

Ugh so torn... my DS (25) has a ressie mid September and worried about him going. I told him we need to decide this week and if I tell him no I want to cancel it for him then he will have no choice. Seeing people go then I feel like it is okay but not sure. Issue is he has friends in Orlando too...would need to not go outside WDW bubble?

Having a small party (15-18 people) outside for DH retirement and his birthday labor day weekend and rethinking is that smart? This is so difficult because do you try to live life somewhat normal and be safe (hand washing, mask, distance etc) or stay in for who knows how long???

I am a very decisive person...but these uncertainties are really working on me. Never felt so unsure of things like this before....we have gone out to eat with distance at a few places, wear masks etc. and then I see others not going anywhere for months.....this all feels very unreal much of the time...

ME Nicole ,DH , DS : , DD , DD
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
MMC1
Banned

Which Resort?
Flying or driving?
Single guy ? Family? Children?

For some reason I feel Riviera because new & clean would be good to risk plus minimal problem with transport to HS Epcot or DS.
Or Boardwalk or BLT ... just giving quick examples to consider minimal hassle/risk.
I also think it is important to enter Parks early & leave after 2-3hrs to go to pool

You really have to make a whole new different planning trip.
Keep the World simple And decrease risks .

Last edited by MMC1; 08-01-2020 at 04:38 AM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:21 AM   #3
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post
Ugh so torn... my DS (25) has a ressie mid September and worried about him going. I told him we need to decide this week and if I tell him no I want to cancel it for him then he will have no choice. Seeing people go then I feel like it is okay but not sure. Issue is he has friends in Orlando too...would need to not go outside WDW bubble?

Having a small party (15-18 people) outside for DH retirement and his birthday labor day weekend and rethinking is that smart? This is so difficult because do you try to live life somewhat normal and be safe (hand washing, mask, distance etc) or stay in for who knows how long???

I am a very decisive person...but these uncertainties are really working on me. Never felt so unsure of things like this before....we have gone out to eat with distance at a few places, wear masks etc. and then I see others not going anywhere for months.....this all feels very unreal much of the time...
In general, it’s all a spectrum/range of risk. Your retirement party idea is certainly doable, but it’s still increasing the risk. Social distancing, masks, and hand washing are not miracle cures. They mitigate risk. Most of the mini outbreaks can be traced to gatherings rather than someone staying home (who can also get it a different way) including parties, frat boys, and lax standards.

Do what you think is best and if it’s causing this much worry, probably lean towards cancelling the party and the trip.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:09 AM   #4
ajc
Grand Villa

I feel ya.
I opted out of a 5 day trip to Ky to visit sister when she wanted to go to Churchill Downs (private betting booths, waiters, and reserved seating on millionaires row after Derby run) when I found out she invited 4 other people from other states to stay in her house while we were visiting!

Her response was:
You are flying in and are a bigger risk to them than they are to you.
If it bothers you so much just wear a mask in my house.

Sadly I cancelled the trip since sister's social calendar was more important than due caution.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:35 AM   #5
MMC1
Banned

I have had 2 observations to change my behavior and am currently staying home for 14 days.
I was taking a walk and suddenly heard a guy loudly & grossly blowing his nose , kinda trying to hide it by leaning into& over an area of leafy shrubs & plants. I wasnít close . Just happened to hear it.
And today, I was on my upper level outdoor balcony when a guy got back into his car and started to drive away but stopped & opened his car to lean out & vomit. I can only hope he did not make meal delivery ... A lot of people in my neighborhood have meals delivered unfortunately. Anyway the risk can come from nowhere. Itís a big decision just to get your mail... .
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:

Those are quite some conundrums.

Any time you have a higher number of people, there is increased risk. Even outdoors, masking and social distancing are essential. Things should be set up to minimize multiple people handling common items (think about how food will be served). What about bathroom access? What if it rains? Will people respect not gathering in doors, etc? Disinfectant available for cleaning surfaces? Hand sanitizer available? Disposable guest towels? Soap? etc.

I think it can be done, and done safely, it just takes a lot of thought and willingness of everybody to not slack off.

The big risks are unmasked, close together, indoors. Minimize that, and you're going in the right direction. I will say in NJ I think the limit is 10 people for a home gathering.

For your son's visit, I think Disney is absolutely as safe as any theme park can be. Florida isn't. Will your son stay in the Disney bubble? One trip off site for indoor dining, bar, or even shopping in a crowded environment and that could be it.

Also, does RI have a quarantine order like MA and the Tri-State area do?

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
I feel ya.
I opted out of a 5 day trip to Ky to visit sister when she wanted to go to Churchill Downs (private betting booths, waiters, and reserved seating on millionaires row after Derby run) when I found out she invited 4 other people from other states to stay in her house while we were visiting!

Her response was:

Sadly I cancelled the trip since sister's social calendar was more important than due caution.
So, I would probably feel okay with my baby sisterís friends from a Covid standpoint. But multiple days in the same house with Leslie and Julie would be a deal breaker!

Seriously, I totally understand your concerns. I think you were right to cancel.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

If you truly worry about anything with either of these, then I would cancel. I hate to say it but the stress isn't worth it IMO.

We all have to take risks. I don't stress when going to the store or outside or at the zoo (well that's outside). I would stress with a big party and to me that number is big. So sadly I'd cancel it.

If the Orlando trip involved anything offsite, it would be cancelled too.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

The big risks are unmasked, close together, indoors. Minimize that, and you're going in the right direction. I will say in NJ I think the limit is 10 people for a home gathering.

Also, does RI have a quarantine order like MA and the Tri-State area do?

Dirk
RI just lowered there gathering number to 15. Went to a funeral 8 days ago, old catholic church with lots of space, about 65 people there and place looked empty. I guess it's all perspective.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I get it - it's tough decisions. We've decided we're just sticking to "gatherings" of 4-5 family together and that's infrequent. It's not the most fun but we've just committed to it. It's not worth the worry or the potential guilt if any exposure did come from a gathering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
I feel ya.

Her response was:

Oh, so similar here. Our only visitor we've had since all this started was a cousin for a trip that happens annually. We both discussed and decided to go ahead with that visit even though she would fly in. During the planning she stated she was only shopping and seeing her daughter and my aunt and uncle. A day or so AFTER arriving she tells me she had a friend from another state visit and stay with her for 5 days just before hopping on the plane to see us. We all were fine but amused I was not. I guess my point from this is that even people you know may not take as much care as they say they will.

Last edited by Goofygrl; 08-01-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote