home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
snowrob
Studio

Default Alternatives to Disney Resorts

We have a stay coming up this November in a club studio at AKL that weíre considering on canceling since we used borrowed points which at the time can still go back to its original UY. We are still planning on going to Vero Beach for a 5 night Airbnb stay.

Now I started looking at 1-2-3 bedroom places In place of the AKL stay and noticed prices are insanely cheap with 4 bedrooms going for 250ish a night. Since weíre AP holders Iím thinking itís more worth while to get a kitchen have room to spread out and just drive to the park versus staying on property.

Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay?
Iím looking at the following -
Sheraton Vista
Hilton Club by Seaworld
Encore Resort at Reunion (private pool as well)
Cypress Harbor
Grand Villas by Diamond
Club Wyndham
snowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

We also have HGVC points and have stayed at Seaworld. We were going to Seaworld that trip, so it was a good location. It is quite large, but it never felt crowded, so we enjoyed it.

Cheers.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
snowrob
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We also have HGVC points and have stayed at Seaworld. We were going to Seaworld that trip, so it was a good location. It is quite large, but it never felt crowded, so we enjoyed it.

Cheers.
Yea I was leaning towards that resort. It also doesnít look like it would be too bad of a drive and the price is pretty reasonable for a 1 bedroom.
snowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I enjoyed our 2 bedroom villa at Sheraton Vistana last June and this year for July 4th, we stayed at Marriott Cypress Harbour and later moved to Marriott Grande Vista 2 bedroom villas.

Cypress Harbor was very nice and we will definitely return.
Marriott also has enhanced cleaning protocols for Covid and we felt comfortable. Activities were up and running like boat rentals, fishing, swimming pools, grills and sport courts.
I have II access and was able to book at Getaway rates.
Our 3 rd week we booked Marriott Grande Ocean HHI on a getaway and that was excellent as well!
Marriott has stayed true to their original offerings in the villas with Fiesta ware, fully stocked kitchen with all small electrics.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
goofy0618
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Marriott

I would recommend the Marriott Grande Vista. It has many recreational facilities. Or the Marriott Sabal Palms which is close to Disney and gives you use of the Marriott World Center Pools etc. I own at both Grande Vista and DVC. Marriott maintains their units better, refurbishing them every 5 years as opposed to 7 years.

Last edited by goofy0618; 07-31-2020 at 12:47 PM.
goofy0618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I liked M Grande Vista but the water was terrible. We were placed in the 100 building section in the back.
The Sulphur smell was the strongest Iíve ever experienced. Couldnít wash clothes or dishes.
We moved midweek to Bldg 30 by the main building and it was much better.
Grand Vista is over 140 acres, so Iím sure it is serviced by multiple municipalities. Not knowing where I would be placed, is a no for future stays.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
PSULion22
Grand Villa

The Vistana is our go to when we aren't staying on property. The villas are large and comfortable, and the drive on to property is pretty easy. We've been staying there for our Halloween trips since the extra space makes finishing any costume work that needs to be done and getting dressed much easier.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
Kathy O
Studio

We owned at Vistana before we bought DVC in 2017. Enjoyed all of our stays there. 5 minutes to Epcot. If youíre planning to drive to the parks anyway, the location is great.
Kathy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

I really like HGVC at SeaWorld. We've stayed there several times in the past few years. I did a youTube review on it - it's a little dated now, but (aside from pandemic & any changes for that) it should be mostly accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xdP6H-UcM4

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
zafiro
Grand Villa

There are several options at the Bonnet Creek Resort. We've stayed in a few of the hotels and vacation properties there over the years.
My new favorite off-property is the Margaritaville Resort which is very near the Animal Kingdom area.
zafiro is online now   Reply With Quote