home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom

Default Here are my Top 20 DVC Tips from a 20 year member

I have been a DVC member 20 years and here is my Top-20 Tips for Disney Vacation Club.

1. Buy the location you love most - if you plan 7 to 11 months in advance

2. Buy the cheapest option (combination of price and annual dues) - if you plan 7 months or less

3. Do not stress over the use year as your travel plans will change in the future

4. Cheapest does not mean lowest price per point, as the annual dues is usually the largest factor

5. Pay cash but if you finance, then get the lowest rate, shortest term, and pay it off quickly

6. Pay annual dues on credit card and get reward points

7. Use all your points and do not waste one point

8. It is much better to borrow points than bank them

9. Enjoy DVC membership and have fun and bring family and friends with you

10. Do not charge family or friends for stays with you, let them buy dinners, etc.

11. Forget about comparing DVC to the S&P 500 as it is not an investment

12. If you do consider DVC an investment, then use 3% ROI as a benchmark as this is real estate

13. Rent excess points when you are not using them for $10 over annual dues

14. Control your own destiny and rent your own points and do not use brokers

15. Try to stay at every DVC at least once and book new resorts when they first open

16. All DVC resorts are awesome, and my favorite is the one I am currently staying at

17. Use DVC points to stay at DVC resorts and minimize using them for anything else

18. Be active on DVC social media sites and keep up to date on DVC news

19. The RTU of 50 years ownership is a long time and who knows how long you will be a member

20. Be careful when willing DVC to family as DVC has annual dues requirements
Old 06-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
DrDisney
Studio

Only change I suggest is paying dues with Disney gift cards. Right now you can get 4% off at BJs and 5% cash back with Discover in addition to that until the end of June. Sometimes the gift cards are 8% off.
DrDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I have been a DVC member 20 years and here is my Top-20 Tips for Disney Vacation Club.

2. Buy the cheapest option (combination of price and annual dues) - if you plan 7 months or less

3. Do not stress over the use year as your travel plans will change in the future

4. Cheapest does not mean lowest price per point, as the annual dues is usually the largest factor

5. Pay cash but if you finance, then get the lowest rate, shortest term, and pay it off quickly

10. Do not charge family or friends for stays with you, let them buy dinners, etc.

12. If you do consider DVC an investment, then use 3% ROI as a benchmark as this is real estate

15. Try to stay at every DVC at least once and book new resorts when they first open

16. All DVC resorts are awesome, and my favorite is the one I am currently staying at

17. Use DVC points to stay at DVC resorts and minimize using them for anything else

19. The RTU of 50 years ownership is a long time and who knows how long you will be a member

All excellent recommendations. And at first I thought "Wow! Twenty years!" until I realized-we're only 1 1/2 years behind you-January 2002.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
all4disney
Studio

As five-year members, I think we're following all of those guidelines so far. Numbers 15 and 16 resonate with us. We've chosen a different resort each trip. I would love to stay at any one of them again, but our goal is to keep changing until we've tried them all.
all4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Great list! I can't resist adding my own impertinent comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Doctor View Post

or even if you don't; then learn to!

Also don't stress over the precise number of points to buy.

5. Pay cash – but if you finance, then get the lowest rate, shortest term, and pay it off quickly
Agree, and "If you have to finance, you can't afford it."

This is just a matter of personality. If you obsess about being short on points, nothing wrong with banking some.

Why would anyone think it's an investment?! All timeshares say it is, but that's the ironclad proof that it isn't!

If you're thinking about ROI, your money needs to go somewhere else.

Rent?! Excess?!

See #13.

Try for "every", settle for "most".

There's something else you can use them for?! Oh right... just don't.

To whom else would I will it? Sorry family, you'll be stuck with it!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 06-26-2020 at 02:21 PM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Great list! I can't resist adding my own impertinent comments...
Floridians rarely plan Disney trips 7-11 months in advance

I personally think any purchase of several thousand dollars or more is in investment, so I agree DVC is an investment, BUT it is not a traditional investment and should not be compared to the stock market and the belief that it goes up 10-12% per year forever.

With proper planning, members can definitely visit every DVC resort during their membership life

Also, #20 was added as there are way too many people buying with the idea that they will leave it to their kids or grandchildren and that is a fine plan, just know that those people would probably chose cash, not a timeshare that they have to pay dues. In fact, if you really want to do something cool, also add to your will the annual dues for the next 10-20 years with the timeshare membership so they can remember you on each trip. Imagine the conversation in five years, we are going to Disney on Grandpa again.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
babysimba
Two Bedroom

Great list. I was happy to note that almost all pertained to me .

I was curious about # 8. "it is better to borrow than bank". What are your thoughts on borrowing vs banking?
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
EeyoreLover
Studio

Following along -- I also agree with your list and am curious as to why you think borrowing is better than banking. We typically bank some points each year.
EeyoreLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Doctor View Post
Floridians rarely plan Disney trips 7-11 months in advance

I personally think any purchase of several thousand dollars or more is in investment, so I agree DVC is an investment, BUT it is not a traditional investment and should not be compared to the stock market and the belief that it goes up 10-12% per year forever.
What I meant was that it should not be an investment made with the intent of generating more money. Yes one can consider it an investment in lifestyle or recreation

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

20 Year Owner here as well.

The only one I disagree with is No. 8. I prefer to have enough points sitting around to book different scenarios and then up using whatever works the best for us. I end up using them all anyways.

Great list and lots of very valid points.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote