home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

Default Aulani Help

We went to Aulani last May and the family is wanting to go back. We have been trying for years to get my Sister and her family to meet us in WDW or come out to AZ for a visit.

With everything getting messed up (cancelled) this year, we decided Aulani should be next year and we extended the invitation to my Sister's family. It took my Sister about 30 seconds to accept the offer (we have family on Oahu).

The funds from this year's cancelled Costa Rica trip will cover their airfare.

There will be 5 of us (Me, DW, DS/20, DS/16 & DD/13) and 5 of them (BIL, Sis & Triplets/13 [MFF]). We have enough points for 2 2Br Villas (Pool view) or a Grand Villa (Standard view). We are leaning to the 2Br option.

For you Aulani experts:
  1. Would you go 2Br over Grand Villa?
  2. Can we get 2 2Br Villas close to each over?
  3. If we go 2Br Villa route, any recommendation on location?

TIA
aznosredna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:32 AM   #2
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznosredna View Post
We went to Aulani last May and the family is wanting to go back. We have been trying for years to get my Sister and her family to meet us in WDW or come out to AZ for a visit.

With everything getting messed up (cancelled) this year, we decided Aulani should be next year and we extended the invitation to my Sister's family. It took my Sister about 30 seconds to accept the offer (we have family on Oahu).

The funds from this year's cancelled Costa Rica trip will cover their airfare.

There will be 5 of us (Me, DW, DS/20, DS/16 & DD/13) and 5 of them (BIL, Sis & Triplets/13 [MFF]). We have enough points for 2 2Br Villas (Pool view) or a Grand Villa (Standard view). We are leaning to the 2Br option.

For you Aulani experts:
  1. Would you go 2Br over Grand Villa?
  2. Can we get 2 2Br Villas close to each over?
  3. If we go 2Br Villa route, any recommendation on location?

TIA
The Grand Villas are amazing. I think it depends on if you have points to burn and how close your extended family is.

If you want some separation go with 2 2-bedrooms. Either ocean view or island view would give you the most opportunities to be on the same floor and near each other. Free options with pool or standard view.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
The Grand Villas are amazing. I think it depends on if you have points to burn and how close your extended family is.

If you want some separation go with 2 2-bedrooms. Either ocean view or island view would give you the most opportunities to be on the same floor and near each other. Free options with pool or standard view.

If you have the points, go for the Grand Villa.

As far as location, put in your request to the resort for the rooms to be close to each other. They will try their best to do so.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
hilaw
Grand Villa

I don't think the decision should come to points because the points for two 2 bedrooms are roughly equivalent to the points for one grand villa, depending on view choices.

For the kid's age groups, I would lean toward the two bedrooms because I don't think they would all like to share beds/rooms.

Grand Villas have one master bedroom and one master bath, two other bedrooms for four people each, and a sleeping area for the rest in the open living room. Three total bedrooms.
One parent couple here will get a plain sleeping accommodation and bathroom; one parent couple will get the masters. Three full bathrooms for all.

Grand villa is spectacular and has the full floor lanai facing the ocean.

Two 2 bedrooms will have four bedrooms total, and a sleeping area in the open living room. Each parent couple will have the masters. Four full bathrooms for all.

Each family can have their own room. Separation can be acceptable.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
richviii
Two Bedroom

For the space, 2 BRs.
For the experience, GV

That said, there are only so many GVs (especially standard) so you might not have a choice.

Recent
2020 May - DCL and DRR - COVID Cancelled 2019 Jan - AKV, Apr - HHI, Apr - CCV, BCV, May - Off-Site, Jun Poly, Nov BLT 2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland, Sept - BLT, Nov - Swan & Dolphin, BLT 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

If I recall correctly, there are only two standard view grand villas, and you can't really see past the trees. I've been watching availability for those, and they are usually booked at the 11 month mark.

The view from the ocean view grand villas is stunning - much better than the 2-bedroom ocean view. If you had the points, it would probably be worth sacrificing the extra bedroom for the ocean view grand villa. Since you don't have the points for the OV, I'd say two 2-bedrooms.

Last edited by kaedeesmom; 05-22-2020 at 06:00 PM.
kaedeesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
hilaw
Grand Villa

Yes, standard grand villa availability is hard to obtain.

Recently, I've noticed that standards have absolutely no availability into the near future. Seems like the DVC programming has blocked them out. I keep wondering if something is up with the standards, like removing them entirely from inventory/view category.

They took one away to make the Ulu Cafe, which was a great move for more dining options, and added the hotel room DVC category. I'm wondering if a similar "repurposing" is being vetted that the common folk have not smelled.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote