home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default DCL cancels cruises thru 12/6 *UPDATED*

Disney Cruise Line announced the cancellation of additional sailings through December 06,2020

Dear THOMAS, All of us at Disney Cruise Line hope you and your family are staying well. While COVID-19 continues to impact all our lives, we are inspired daily by the stories of care, compassion and resilience around the globe.

As we continue to refine health and safety protocols for our future return to service and await further direction from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Disney Cruise Line is extending the suspension of Disney Dream sailings through December 11, 2020. This means that your sailing has been cancelled.

In light of this cancellation, we are offering Guests who have paid their reservation in full the choice of a 125% future cruise credit to be used for a future sailing prior to May 31, 2022, or a full refund. The credit has automatically been added to your account. Once you have decided on an alternate sail date, you may contact your travel agent. Your agent may place a reservation on hold for you by applying this credit as a payment option when booking a new reservation online. Guests that have not paid their reservations in full will automatically receive a refund of what they have paid so far.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard as soon as we can and making magic for you and your loved ones.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Last edited by tomandrobin; 09-15-2020 at 01:00 PM.
tomandrobin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Old 05-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Did you see the news about the non-Covid deaths of crew left at sea? Two were reported to be suicides. I cannot imagine being stuck out there all this time.
Eeyorelover22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
Did you see the news about the non-Covid deaths of crew left at sea? Two were reported to be suicides. I cannot imagine being stuck out there all this time.
OMG - how did you see that?!?
Old 05-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Was not DCL. I was just randomly reading the major news sources.
I will try to find the article. I think it said 70,000 crew are still on ships.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
This isn't the one I read originally, but here is another.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cruise-...tranded-crews/

I'm off the news now. I had a decent day yesterday by staying away...today, not so much.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
amydevoe
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
Wow, that's terrible news.
I don't understand why so many of them cannot go home. Most of the crew members still out at sea haven't been exposed and do not have the virus. I understand why initially they didn't let crew members go home, but they have been isolated more than most of us.
I was glad to see in another thread that the Magic and Fantasy are sailing to ports to get some of their crew home.
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

We have a cruise scheduled for November. Anticipating the cruises will be shut down thru the end of 2020, I started to proactively look for a JIC hotel reservation. Disney's selection for November is limited so I hopped on Expedia to see if they offered anything and the Dolphin came up. Now our November vacation looks like: AKJ/cruise-Dolphin/SSR. Then I grabbed a Brunch at Raglan Road for the Sunday.

If the cruise happens then we'll be on it. If masks are required, then we'll be spending lots of time on our extended veranda. BTW, I don't get the mask issue with MDR / Bar activity.

If the cruise is cancelled, we'll keep the rest of the reservation and do a double-split stay (new experience for us ).
Old 05-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I read on another board that Disney may be looking at 3/4 day cruises exclusively with stops only at Castaway Cay until things improve. I supposed they can cycle all four ships through that without doubling up, not sure.

Or maybe 3 ships, if they leave Wonder out of the mix.

(Incidentally, if they offered a PC cruise just to being the Wonder back home, I might leap on it.)

However, I won't take a 3/4 night cruise. I would consider a CC double-dip 7 night on the Fantasy or Magic/Wonder, but not for this summer.

The bigger thing for me is going to be the loss of the amenities that make cruising fun - the shows, the lounges, etc. There is growing evidence that singing simply won't be safe until there is a vaccine, so shows will have to be lip-synced at best, and re-choreographed to preserve distancing.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
I read on another board that Disney may be looking at 3/4 day cruises exclusively with stops only at Castaway Cay until things improve. I supposed they can cycle all four ships through that without doubling up, not sure.
It is possible to do three ships calling on CC with 3&4 day cruises. However, releasing and selling those sailings would be nearly impossible if they don't release those schedules soon and if Bahamas gives them an OK to do so. Plus, Port Canaveral would have to be ok with the changes. The island logistics of staff and facilities will be really stretched.

Quote:
The bigger thing for me is going to be the loss of the amenities that make cruising fun - the shows, the lounges, etc. There is growing evidence that singing simply won't be safe until there is a vaccine, so shows will have to be lip-synced at best, and re-choreographed to preserve distancing.
I am not sure what is in in and what is out on the cruise ships once they start sailing. The shows can go on, but not with a full audience which would leave a lot of folks out. Not sure about how they handle the pools and gym. We already know buffets will be gone, but how do you space out the dining room tables?

Lots of questions, not a lot of answers......To board a ship, we all might have to sign waivers acknowledging that social distancing may not always be possible and you are cruising at your own risk.