home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
jtdancy
Studio

Default Any word on HHI?

We are supposed to stay at HHI from 5/31 - 6/5. At this point, I'm trying to not get my hopes up. According to the town website, the earliest they might open beaches to non-residents is next week.

I'm wondering how precautious Disney will be in re-opening, and once they make the decision to open, how long it may take them to "ramp up" and be ready for guests.

The main bummer is that if they decide to open later in June or July, we're essentially out of luck since availability is so limited during the summer months. Oh well, c'est la vie.
jtdancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
NyNcOkw
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We are also waiting and watching. We have a visit planned for mid June and will need to think about banking the points if they donít open up in time along with our WDW points we also need to bank. 2021 maybe a busy travel year with so many lost vacations this year. Iím sure many are in the same situation. Canít help the situation and will be happy if this virus settles down some by next year or viable treatments will be available. My company is running COVID clinical trials, research and development takes time. In the meantime, just waiting and watching and being hopeful for better times ahead.
NyNcOkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I haven't heard anything yet either. June 28th check-in for me. Annual trip I do with my BFF and we are both soooooo hoping to be able to keep this trip!

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Here is a good article on current beach situation and access, including for non residents.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/co...242481786.html

Plenty of hotels are open in Hilton Head now. With the opening of Disney Springs May 20th, would make sense for Hilton Head and Vero to be next.

Web cam of San Miguel's in Shelter Cove:

http://www.sanmiguels.com/index.php/#rt-extension
Old 05-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdancy View Post
We are supposed to stay at HHI from 5/31 - 6/5. At this point, I'm trying to not get my hopes up. According to the town website, the earliest they might open beaches to non-residents is next week.

I'm wondering how precautious Disney will be in re-opening, and once they make the decision to open, how long it may take them to "ramp up" and be ready for guests.

The main bummer is that if they decide to open later in June or July, we're essentially out of luck since availability is so limited during the summer months. Oh well, c'est la vie.
We’ve been looking into Hilton head in July. Not to Disney but to another resort. And from what I can tell you would be able to go to the beaches. You would be able to go to the Disney beach club and that gives you access to the beach. It also appears that things are starting to open up there.

Hilton head did cancel the ban on short term rentals a couple of weeks ago so there really is nothing stopping Disney

Last edited by CarolA; 05-09-2020 at 10:25 PM.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:04 PM   #6
ghafler
Grand Villa

Default Fingers are crossed

We also are booked for mid-June. Just a month away, but things are starting to look promising in the area.

Owners since 2008. AKV and Aulani

22 Disney stays and counting at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian (Honeymoon), Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Animal Kingdom Lodge (1st Trip with kids), Saratoga Springs, Kidani Village, Aulani and the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian. 4 Disney cruises on the Dream and Fantasy. My 1st Walt Disney World Visit was in June '72 and the Most Crowded visit was on July 4th 1976.
ghafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
grayandry
Grand Villa

We have reservations for the week of August 9, so we THINK we will be good to go. Fingers crossed!
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Just moved our June 20th WDW trip to June 12-14 at HHI. Going to add to it via another rental place there. HHI is opening and DH saw mention somewhere, maybe twitter, that there was activity seen around the Disney resort. So maybe they are getting things ready. I just think it will be easier to social distance there than at WDW with crowded parks, queues and buses and all that. Plus a HHI vacay is always cheaper than a WDW one.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): June 7-14 HHI (but not via DVC) & Jan 2-9, 2021 BWV

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
ghafler
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Just moved our June 20th WDW trip to June 12-14 at HHI. Going to add to it via another rental place there. HHI is opening and DH saw mention somewhere, maybe twitter, that there was activity seen around the Disney resort. So maybe they are getting things ready. I just think it will be easier to social distance there than at WDW with crowded parks, queues and buses and all that. Plus a HHI vacay is always cheaper than a WDW one.
We did the same. Moved our WDW trip from June 17 to July 9 and then decided that it even if open, the experience wouldnít be the same. We had banked points from last year so we decided to take our first trip to HHI. Weíre actually really excited. Thanks for your Trip Reports from last summer. Very informative.

Any tips for first timers would be welcomed!

Owners since 2008. AKV and Aulani

22 Disney stays and counting at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian (Honeymoon), Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Animal Kingdom Lodge (1st Trip with kids), Saratoga Springs, Kidani Village, Aulani and the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian. 4 Disney cruises on the Dream and Fantasy. My 1st Walt Disney World Visit was in June '72 and the Most Crowded visit was on July 4th 1976.
ghafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
Crafty
Grand Villa

We would like to move our Aug WDW reservation to HHI. I was going to stalk the RAT to see if maybe some people were cancelling.

We will go to WDW if we have to. We need to use those banked points. We would feel better about HHI.

Crafty is online now   Reply With Quote