home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 06:30 AM   #1
Ludwig von Chuck
Grand Villa

Default Loss of use: what does the POS say?

I'm curious. DVC resorts are closed, and members are being "denied" their right to use those resorts. At some point, with an extended closure, there will be more points owned than there is time available to use.

For all of you "read every word in the POS" folks, is there any provision for this?

To be clear, this isn't a slam on DVC or an invitation to rant.

BRV owners since 2009

First trip: Nov 76 at PVR for my 8th birthday
Last trip: Feb 20 at SSR for DVC MM at AK
Next trip: Apr 20 at BLT for DVC MM at MK (not likely )

Moonlight Magic: AK x3, MK x2, Epcot x2, DHS x2, and TL x2
Ludwig von Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #2
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig von Chuck View Post
I'm curious. DVC resorts are closed, and members are being "denied" their right to use those resorts. At some point, with an extended closure, there will be more points owned than there is time available to use.

For all of you "read every word in the POS" folks, is there any provision for this?

To be clear, this isn't a slam on DVC or an invitation to rant.
Points will expire so they will not be more points than can be used.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
True, points will expire..... eventually. But if everybody, or even 75% of us, or maybe 50% of us bank all our points into the 2021 UY that's going to create an issue. I think that an extended closure of the parks would be the only thing that would cause this to happen. I sincerely hope that it doesn't come to this.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
True, points will expire..... eventually. But if everybody, or even 75% of us, or maybe 50% of us bank all our points into the 2021 UY that's going to create an issue. I think that an extended closure of the parks would be the only thing that would cause this to happen. I sincerely hope that it doesn't come to this.
Iím going to do my part to help out. Iím using my 2020 points this year!
Old 03-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
DVC has the legal right to suspend banking and borrowing to prevent a point imbalance.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I’m going to do my part to help out. I’m using my 2020 points this year!
Me too! Thanksgiving, here we come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
DVC has the legal right to suspend banking and borrowing to prevent a point imbalance.
Good to know. If things got to the tipping point I'm sure they would implement that clause.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
Ludwig von Chuck
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
True, however, if WDW is shuttered for let's say 20% of this year, then there will be a material number of points that will never be able to be used. Sure, banking can kick the can down the road, but eventually, contracts come to an end, and folks can legitimately claim that DVC did not or could not provide the usage guaranteed by the POS. I guess DVC could extend our contracts by the length of the closure

BRV owners since 2009

First trip: Nov 76 at PVR for my 8th birthday
Last trip: Feb 20 at SSR for DVC MM at AK
Next trip: Apr 20 at BLT for DVC MM at MK (not likely )

Moonlight Magic: AK x3, MK x2, Epcot x2, DHS x2, and TL x2
Ludwig von Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

On my old work PC, I had the docs saved for quick access
Unfortunately I do not have them on my new laptop and haven't had time to hunt down again and save.
I am also curious as to what it says, but I tend to doubt there would be any relief for owners in there. Any kind of Loss of Use clause would almost certainly allow an out for DVD unless the Loss of Use was caused by negligence or something like that on their part. They may not have been thinking about having to close for a virus, but surely they thought about loss of use in the event of a fire or severe hurricane damage, etc and would have covered themselves for unforeseen events outside of their control.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Iím going to do my part to help out. Iím using my 2020 points this year!
I've already done my part and used my 2020 points last year.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
tom82097
Studio

It will come to a point where they will need to suspend banking.

This might be an unpopular opinion, and I would like to preempt this by saying I think it is very unfortunate to anyone that loses points due to cancellation or not being able to travel in a short amount of time. This is an unprecedented situation, and we are all in this together.

With that said, we are all buyers of a timeshare. For the clear benefit we get out of DVC points, we also assumed risk at purchase. If you bought a beach house and a hurricane damage prohibited you from visiting it, you can't call the person that you bought it from demanding that they make it right.

I have read some replies on this forum suggesting that "Disney must make this right!" and so on and so fourth. I think someone suggested that they complained to try and get a comp night. This is not Disney, this is our individual DVC resorts. We are the owners of the resorts and such assume the risk of things like this happening. Disney does not need to do step in and do anything. They also shouldn't offer up the Disney Collection resorts as a haven for people who already lost points.(I believe I read a suggestion that Disney should allow people to use expired points at Disney Collection) Yes, Disney is a big company. Yes, they are known for their customer service. Yes, they often go above and beyond what is expected. No, they should not give their resorts away for free to individuals who lost points.

Again, I truly feel for anyone who has lost points, has had vacation plans dismantled, or is just wishing they could visit Disney in this time of uncertainty.

Also, would like to thank anyone on this forum who is a healthcare worker, grocery store/pharmacy clerk, first responder, or any other essential worker. Thank you and God bless you.
tom82097 is offline   Reply With Quote