home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
Steelcity791
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Refunds

So now that Disney World has closed all their hotels until the end of the month anyone that rented points for that time frame the owners will have to refund no?
Steelcity791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcity791 View Post
So now that Disney World has closed all their hotels until the end of the month anyone that rented points for that time frame the owners will have to refund no?

Depends on the renters contract with the owner. As for Brokers like David's, I am not sure what their officially policy is in a situation like today.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
ajc
Grand Villa

To channel Thomas Payne: "These are the times that try men's souls."
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Given the cancellations, no matter what is in the contract, I would think it would unconscionable not to provide refunds in this case. Disney are giving options for all these points (beyond the contract rules) for these things, and that is the right thing to do.

Anything else is sorta kinda up there with the brothers hoarding and jacking up the hand sanitizer, IMO.

Cheers.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
Steelcity791

I would think they would have to get a refund because all the contracts are for accommodations and accommodations are now closed so the owner canít fill their portion of the contract
Steelcity791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
HepperSchepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcity791 View Post
I would think they would have to get a refund because all the contracts are for accommodations and accommodations are now closed so the owner canít fill their portion of the contract
I was just looking at my contracts and it actually doesn't say what happens if accommodations are not available because Disney closed. But it does say if i screw up and no accommodations are available they get a refund. But standard contract law would argue that no stay, no performance.
HepperSchepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Someone in my town was posting how she's out no matter what. Some of us are encouraging her to try more, but our spring break is this week so it may or may not apply to her no matter what.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
zafiro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Depends on the renters contract with the owner. As for Brokers like David's, I am not sure what their officially policy is in a situation like today.
That's the risk with a broker - it is a two step removal from the owner of the points and complex to cancel and refund.

I'm refunding or re-booking for any of my renters - their choice. It's the fair thing to do in an unusual and rare situation like this.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
ziravan
Two Bedroom

My contract says no refund, points belong to renter once purchased and can be rebooked within reason based on lifespan of points, availability and whether theyíre in holding or not. Also, contract spells out the specific lifespan of the particular points used. In case of force majeure, parties agree to split loss.

Iím not sure this is a true force majeure situation though because points are being made whole. Sure, unable to perform on specific dates but my contract allows for rebooking within reason* so the contract itself is still performable.

I only had one rental in this time period, and weíre looking to move that trip to later in the year. If not, Iíll refund no matter the terms of contract. Itís an unusual circumstance. BCV points with a full year of usability so shouldnít be an issue.

*Iíll do so once for sure, maybe twice in a hardship, but Iím not gonna stalk (although Iíve even done that too while stalking for myself).
ziravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #10
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

I have re-scheduled all my renters for dates in summer.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote