home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 12:28 AM   #1
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Default FP Strategies

We have a party of 8 to 10 people going June 1 – 5 . They are mostly first time visitors, but they are not park commando style people. We plan to arrive at the parks early each morning {taking advantage of the cooler temps and smaller crowds} and leave around noon for a mid day pool break and early dinner in our villa and head back around 4pm to 5 pm each day. Should I go ahead and book FPs for 9 am , 10 am and 11 am {like I usually do} ……..or should I just book the FPs for when we get back into the parks in the evening for about 5 pm , 6 pm and 7pm?

I feel like mornings from park opening until about 10:30 am you really don’t need FPs …do you all agree? And we coudl just ride whatever had short wait times int eh morning and go back at night to ride our :must do rides" using the 3 pre booked FPs...and start booking more FPs as soon as we use the 3rd prebooked FP....

We are planning a day at MK, Epcot and HWS. Would you do the same approach for all three of these parks? For HWS we definitely want to do Star Wars, Run Away Train and Toy Story land so we may not leave the park on that day.

Advice and input appreciated…..

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

Last edited by DisneyTravelers; 02-14-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Star *Wars {not Wards. LOL}
DisneyTravelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Same question as this thread?

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=141649

Cheers.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:43 AM   #3
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Same question as this thread?

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=141649

Cheers.
Not exactly --- one thread is asking about booking for 8 or 10 people and the other is asking if I should book them all in the AM and then try to get more in the PM or just book them in the PM

I guess Im just overwhelmed and need input....

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:51 AM   #4
MMC1
Grand Villa

Good luck We all want what you want Slinky Dog , Galaxy Edges, FoP, and MMRR.

You haven’t mentioned but assuming it is children & adults. And as much as you want to make it perfect , remember, they are newbies and don’t have a clue of all the stuff they didn’t get to do. They will just remember it was fun probably.

I would start with checking the extra hours for mornings and hope they will be onboard with wake up early and take a nap or pool in heat of the day.
Then plan a reservation for Sci Fi for everybody on day you will enter HS and make it for 11:00 a.m.or 11:30 open time for that restaurant. If you don’t trust Disney’s calendar yet be ruthless and make a reservation everyday at SciFi until you know for sure. I just think SciFi with a big group would be wild crazy fun!

So early morns, in my thinking , would mean a banana as I wait for bus to arrive and then basically 11 or 11:30 for lunch break and then everybody decide if they want to nap or pool or split up groups.
Booking and using your first 3 FP’s in the morning means the window will open to make more . If you wait to book FPS until night you won’t get more than 3 . So use them in morn , relax afternoon and search for another one while you sit at pool wherever you plan to return.
Realistically one FP in evening and then Fireworks or Whatever for night entertainment that can be enjoyed w/o FP. Behind the Castle for example . If it seems like a slow night they might even let you go up to ToTW.

I recently figured out one of the reasons MK is so popular. It seems to have the most entertainment that can be enjoyed w/o a FP.= Pirates, Tiki, Jungle Cruise, Liberty Belle, Hall of Presidents, Teacups,Prince Phillips Carousel, PeopleMover Transit Authority. , Carousel of Progress., etc. (Secret tip if you watch fireworks behind Castle the wait time if you get to Snow White 7 Dwarf Mine Train will probably be not as long as the posted time plus no sun while you stand in line).
And Cosmic Ray Starlight Cafe has choice of chicken or hamburger selections and Awesome entertainment ! I love Sonny Eclipse. I also think Plaza Inn for your group dining to relax and take a break.
If you happen to re enter MK for late afternoon try to take them to see the daily Military Salute around 5:15. For the Flag Retreat. It is very emotional to feel pride in the USA with a group of strangers on Main Street USA.

Definitely should see Rivers of Light as a group at AK. And then go over to Pandora after. Especially if evening hours are extended. The waiting in line at night for FoP is good idea if can’t get FP.

Epcot is second fairly easy planning especially since they have introduced the new film in Canada and France sing along. It is fun. And the Awesome Planet film is good to watch while you wait for FP time at Soarin or Livin with the Land.
Also the American Adventure and Regal Eagle will be open hopefully. Or maybe Japanes Hibachi for your group dining? Or even better the Biergarten in Germany has great entertainment dinner show! Your entire group can sit together for sure!

I was so desperate over the holidays I just started doing all the things I normally never ever do. Now I love Figment after all! Pixar movie in that area also.
Hadn’t gone on Nemo in forever . And Under the Sea . I even went on the Barnstormer. And the Astro Orbit in the night time is so much fun . So if that is all that is left for FP , it can still be worthwhile. And you might get anytime FP if it rains.

I promise to check in on your trip report cause I am positive everybody will have so much fun they will want you to plan their next trip too!

Last edited by MMC1; 02-13-2020 at 12:28 PM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
iflyjetzzz
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

If it were me, I'd book FPs for early and then reload FPs at the first opportunity.

There are some rides where I think an early morning FP would be great, as they are in high demand.
MK: Peter Pan, 7 Dwarves (no tiers in MK)
AK: Avatar Flight of Passage
HS: Minnie and Mickey's runaway railway OR Smuggler's Run (both tier 1)
Rockin Roller Coaster and Toy Story Mania (tier 2)
EPCOT: Test Track (tier 1)

Personally, I'm all about using FPs quickly and then reloading when able.
Also, after the initial FPs, you'll want to split into smaller groups to make it easier to book higher demand same day FPs.
iflyjetzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
EeyoreLover
Studio

I agree -- I would schedule morning fast passes to increase your odds of being able to schedule additional FPs later in the day -- especially since you have a large group.
EeyoreLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
I feel like mornings from park opening until about 10:30 am you really don’t need FPs …do you all agree?

We are no strangers to traveling to WDW with large groups. Your strategy is exactly what we do with a lot of success. If you can make rope drop, you can ride a bunch of stuff before 10:30am. I fell that the Fastpasses at night a needed because of the long, long standby lines.

There are a few exceptions to this.....
  • Book FOP whenever you get the chance.
  • Safari in the morning is always better then the evening, esp in the summer.
  • Book Star Wars when available, hopefully RotR will be fastpass capable by then.
I feel most of the other rides you can get or move the FP times to the evening hours.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreLover View Post
I agree -- I would schedule morning fast passes to increase your odds of being able to schedule additional FPs later in the day -- especially since you have a large group.

Its extremely difficult to add 10 fastpasses for a group in the evening. For 1,2,3 even 4 peple its doable. But the more people you have in your party, the more difficult it is to add more fastpasses.....unless you are looking for Muppets and other non-bust rides/attractions.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

I think you have the right idea. Don't be too aggressive with the ride to ride FastPass thing when it's not just you going. Most people don't operate that way. It's more important to use the 3 you get effectively than to burn them rushing to get more. Create a nice "day-experience" by putting them at good times when waits will be long. Don't repeat the same plan each day. One day have midday pool time. Another, do midday FastPasses and take the evening off. Have one when you don't rope drop and make breakfast in your room. This will create a more appreciated trip than saying you have to go go go.

- Plan your Star Wars day for a morning arrival. Probably the first morning. Anticipate staying thru the day, so put FPs around 10, 11, 12 or 10, 11, 2 with a lunch res in between.

- MK I would also rope drop, planning FPs for one "land"... like Space-SDMT-PP or BTMR-Splash-Pirates, and put them at 9:30, 10:30, 11:30 'ish. Leave for lazy pool afternoon, pick an evening FP upon leaving, and you'll have a ride lined up for when you come back. (maybe you'll decide you want to hit AK instead if you see an Everest FP available for the eve -- you can decide this on the fly!)

- EPCOT hit later. I don't care for rope-dropping EPCOT. Have breakfast in your room or somewhere that isn't get up and go. Maybe do this day after MK since you were probably out late that night. I would do EPCOT FPs for midday, planning to get to the park around 12, do rides till like 3, then off to World Showcase for lunch. If you want to use your Tier-1 on Frozen I'd put it around 5pm, just before or after a dinner res. If you'd rather do Test Track, I'd do SE-MS-TT FPs in a row, which will pack your busy midday time with a pleasant path thru the park. Hop over to Figment for a quick ride there, then to WS for the rest of the day...

HTH!

Last edited by fuzzylogic; 02-13-2020 at 10:44 AM.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Whether itís the best or not, I always book FPís in the morning. I do rope drop, hit as many rides as I can until my first FP is about to expire at 10:15am (you get a 15 min grace), and then hit that FP ride. Also, pro tip, break your group of 10 up for the additional FPís after the initial 3. Book them in groups of 2. It takes quite a bit of effort to get them close in time, but I almost always have it work out. Get others in your group to help with this because itís a lot better when there are 5 of you trying to book in groups of 2 versus just you. We also always book the kids first for the additional FPís because the adults donít care as much about riding everything as the kids do. Our friends usually beg us to take the kids on a ride while they grab a drink. Just like the crowds are lighter in the morning, they lighten up late at night as well. There are still waits, but they arenít nearly as bad at 10pm as they are at 10am.