home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Rocket22
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Walker (Not Texas Ranger)

We are OKW owners, have not stayed there yet, they tell me it is nice.

We are September/October visitors for 7-8 days and every year I walk in the reservation. Most years it was not really needed, but why chance it.

This year it was a must. The reason we stay for 8 days is to get a little jump on the walkers and 7 month window for people with shorter stays. I checked some of the days of our reservation and several were already gone after the final walk move to the dates we needed

Just a little heads up, learn how to walk in your reservation if you want to give yourself the best chance at a 7 month reservation at not home resort if looking at some of the premium resorts.

This is our 4th trip using OKW points elsewhere and the membership has already paid for itself.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Walking at 7 months is not a guarantee though. One owner could easily spoil it. Walking at 7 months is not something I'd generally suggest.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Walking isn't a thing for 7 month window since any owner can book home resort anytime. So a non owner can book today for Sept 11 at, say, BWV. And aim to flip every 3 days. Well a BWV owner can book Sept 20-28 later today and block off the walker. Walking is really an 11 month home resort thing. Like I walk stand view studios at BWV or studios at CCV. Sure you can aim to walk at 7 months and it may help. But only really helps give you an edge over other non owners so leaves a lot of room for failure. But Sept is one of the best times to try and get non home resort at 7 months. Going into Oct it becomes tougher (Oct-mid Jan...forget about it).

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): May 28- June 4 SSR/AKV & Jan 5-9, 2021 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Oct 31 Carnival Sunshine & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Walking still works, but is getting harder. The new resorts - Poly, CCV and DRR is making walking much harder, and Reflections will only add to the misery. Once those resale restrictions start taking hold at the future resorts, you can almost forget about walking into those resorts.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Walking isn't a thing for 7 month window since any owner can book home resort anytime. So a non owner can book today for Sept 11 at, say, BWV. And aim to flip every 3 days. Well a BWV owner can book Sept 20-28 later today and block off the walker. Walking is really an 11 month home resort thing. Like I walk stand view studios at BWV or studios at CCV. Sure you can aim to walk at 7 months and it may help. But only really helps give you an edge over other non owners so leaves a lot of room for failure. But Sept is one of the best times to try and get non home resort at 7 months. Going into Oct it becomes tougher (Oct-mid Jan...forget about it).
I agree.
Q:What do you call walking at 7 months?
A: Booking
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
I agree.
Q:What do you call walking at 7 months?
A: Booking
Yup!

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): May 28- June 4 SSR/AKV & Jan 5-9, 2021 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Oct 31 Carnival Sunshine & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
Rocket22

Default details

I needed 9/10-9/17 started booking a week prior and moved up daily. We did not stay at home resort. Had i waited until all dates were within window I would not have been able to make ressie. That is my description of walking in a reservation.

Also, what are the resale restrictions on the new resorts?
Old 02-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
Rocket22

Default and that is the goal

To get ahead of any other non owners at one of the top resorts.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post
I needed 9/10-9/17 started booking a week prior and moved up daily. We did not stay at home resort. Had i waited until all dates were within window I would not have been able to make ressie. That is my description of walking in a reservation.

Also, what are the resale restrictions on the new resorts?
If you bought resale since Jan / Feb 2019, you cannot book the new resorts. Riviera for now, but applies to all new resorts going forward.

And if you buy resale at Riviera (or other new resort in the future) you cannot book at any other resort at all.

What youíre describing is walking. People are just pointing out that walking at your home resort is guaranteed to work, short of a room being taken out of inventory.

Whilst walking at a non-home resort isnít guaranteed to work, because those with home-resort priority can jump in at any time. So you could end up with a reservation you donít need.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Walking still works, but is getting harder. The new resorts - Poly, CCV and DRR is making walking much harder, and Reflections will only add to the misery. Once those resale restrictions start taking hold at the future resorts, you can almost forget about walking into those resorts.
I think the larger rooms will be more easily available in the new resorts than studio rooms; yes poly and CCV bungalows and cabins really skewed the point system. also, with RR resale restrictions, I wonder if there will be any resale owners who get locked out of booking. My next thought/wonder is if enough resale owners get locked out of a room on property, will there be a class action law suit, in which case disney would have to revisit their restriction policy. Just random thoughts