home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
dandandat
Studio

Default Corona Virus ... changing any plans? MegaDiscussion Thread

So with the deadly corona virus on the loose in China and new cases popping up all over the world is anyone changing their immediate vacation plans?

More than 12,000 "confirmed" causes and 250 "confirmed" deaths sprang up in less than two months ... and that is a low ball number since it is very likely the Chinese government is lieing about their infection numbers.

This virus, in less than two months, has already outpaced the SARS outbreak of 2003 that took a lot longer to reach those infection numbers.

Worse still news is that the Chinese corona virus can be transmitted prior to people showing symptoms. Making it difficult to screen people or to self quarantine.

Outside of China cases are still small in number; but cases where small in number in China at the start of December. Are we looking into our future when we look at China today?

If I had to take a trip today I'd go with out question. But I have a trip planned (not Disney) in mid February that I'm worried about. Its not the destination that I'm worried about but the international air ports and airplane travel.

So you guys travel a lot; what do you think?

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 03-14-2020 at 01:07 PM.
dandandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...an-coronavirus

Not changing any plans
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

No reason yet to change travel plans outside of Asian Pacific region.
Of course that may change but if so you'll hear about it!
Concerning deaths -- very likely they primarily occurred in people who already had issues, e.g. poor health, old age, etc. In general the human body does a great job of fighting an unfamiliar virus, and many symptoms are the result of that battle. I'd worry more about common flu -- get a flu shot!
"According to preliminary estimates from the CDC: So far, 10,000 people have died and 180,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season". Last year's total US flu deaths were about 80,000.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

We have plans end of March. I have worn a mask before and if I feel the need to wear one, I will (for our flight). Will try to wipe seat and tray too.

On one of our flights, my daughter sat down, barely opened the pocked in front of her (in the back of the seat in front) and what was in there.......disgusting. The person who got sick never told the flight attendant that what was in the bag

We almost cancelled Mexico when the Zika virus was around (we went toward the ending of it). Glad we did not change our plans.

We try Hopefully we are all good!!!

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
dandandat
Studio

This New York Times article does a good job explaining the Virus. There is a graphic chart that shows the viruses infections rate vs death rate as compared to other viruses. According to this chart the Chinese virus is worse than the normal flu; but how much worse is unknown.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-contain.html
dandandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Not too worried, yet. But am upping my hand washing and sanitizing (things like grocery cart handles). Told my DDs to be more diligent as well. One is EMT and other is teaching. And told DS, who works in hotel. Pressing them to all get flu shots (they have to anyway and should have done so by now). I have appt for flu shot this week. I usually don't get one. We have next vacay the end of May, Disney. And a cruise in July, Boston to Canada. Still planning to go. We shall see if that changes. The cruise does worry me since you're on a ship with recirculated air with folks from all over the world.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):
Oct 24-Nov 1 HHI (not DVC), Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Last edited by Lamima; 02-01-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

Three different non-Disney travels planned in next few months (UK, NY, Greece) and have no intention of changing any of those with the information we currently have.
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #8
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Just read that DCL and NCL is not allowing anyone who has been in China in past 14 days, prior to cruise, to board the cruise. I guess they check passports or submit list of passengers to homeland security to cross check??? Makes me feel a bit better about our July cruise. It's on HAL though but by then they probably will have same restriction.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):
Oct 24-Nov 1 HHI (not DVC), Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

We have plans to go to Hong Kong for spring break. My older parents that watch the news non-stop are freaking out and telling us not to go.

I have asked our airline if we can get a refund but currently they are only offering refunds for travel through Feb 29th. We leave on April 4th.

My gut says the worst of it will have largely passed by then but we are taking a wait and see approach. If it gets worse after February we won't go.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
We have plans to go to Hong Kong for spring break. My older parents that watch the news non-stop are freaking out and telling us not to go.

I have asked our airline if we can get a refund but currently they are only offering refunds for travel through Feb 29th. We leave on April 4th.

My gut says the worst of it will have largely passed by then but we are taking a wait and see approach. If it gets worse after February we won't go.
I think Delta has suspended flights to mainland China through April 30 (I know they don't fly to Hong Kong); I wonder if others will feel pressure from their flight attendants and pilots to follow suit soon.

Would you rather get refunded and reschedule, or have flight and plans proceed?
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote