home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 11,237
Default UPDATE: Transferring primary on membership?

Today while attempting to set up an account for my husband on both MDE and through DVC, I hit a roadblock. My husband is primary on the account even though we are both full members. Granted we bought resale first, but the CM was stating we had to sign something as to who was primary and who wasn't.... we wouldn't have had him first let's just say that.

We were told we can switch it by faxing in our request. Has anyone happened to do this? If you have, have you run into it hosing up anything on the accounts?

Just curious before I do it. We have a couple months before we have a trip planned and I was trying to clean up the accounts a little.

UPDATE:
We faxed the paper in this morning at about 9am I checked online and I am now the Purchaser, and my husband is Co-Purchaser! For those following along on my MDE I am still xxxxx.2 and my husband is xxxxx.1 But it seems I am primary.

If anyone wants to make the change we just had to fax our names, our membership number and that we wanted to switch from my husband's name to my name as primary. We both signed it and dated it. Faxed it to 407-938-4121
__________________

Last edited by helenabear; 01-14-2020 at 03:56 PM.
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
PrincipalTinker
Studio
 
PrincipalTinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Today while attempting to set up an account for my husband on both MDE and through DVC, I hit a roadblock. My husband is primary on the account even though we are both full members. Granted we bought resale first, but the CM was stating we had to sign something as to who was primary and who wasn't.... we wouldn't have had him first let's just say that.

We were told we can switch it by faxing in our request. Has anyone happened to do this? If you have, have you run into it hosing up anything on the accounts?

Just curious before I do it. We have a couple months before we have a trip planned and I was trying to clean up the accounts a little.
I am sorry that I cannot add anything here but I am very interested in this. I bought two direct contracts and added my son to both. I first discovered he gets information I donít . Then I looked at the deed online and realized he is listed first. Alphabetically my name come first, so that is not how/why it happened. I suspect there is another reason.....?
PrincipalTinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
WDWGoof
Grand Villa
 
WDWGoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,144
Default

Happened to me too! Even though its in both mine and hubby's name, the points are actually mine (a gift from hubby). He told them the points were mine but low and behold, they made him the primary. It's probably petty, but drives me a little nuts every time I see things addressed to him only.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 34,712
Default

The whole "primary" membership drives us nuts too. Robin and I are co-owners, and we feel that we should be recognized as such. Like you mentioned, its petty and really does not impact anything....its just the principle of their practice.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
disney65
Add-on Aficionado
 
disney65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SouthEast, CT
Posts: 6,206
Default

Never got into any of these issues so nothing to offer. Following to see what comes up next.
__________________
Home Resort: Aulani, BLT, VGF, BRV (VWL), BWV, AKL, OKW, SSR

My Trip Reports


2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 11,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipalTinker View Post
I am sorry that I cannot add anything here but I am very interested in this. I bought two direct contracts and added my son to both. I first discovered he gets information I donít . Then I looked at the deed online and realized he is listed first. Alphabetically my name come first, so that is not how/why it happened. I suspect there is another reason.....?
That's insane! The person I spoke with claimed we signed something that stated who was primary. I would've remembered that - and we would have put me first! Alphabetically and age I come first. Grumpy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Happened to me too! Even though its in both mine and hubby's name, the points are actually mine (a gift from hubby). He told them the points were mine but low and behold, they made him the primary. It's probably petty, but drives me a little nuts every time I see things addressed to him only.
I should've figured that out a long time ago because most things are in his name. It never occurred to me until I tried to do something for him and was denied that it mean that. Like you the DVC is technically mine. In my case my work I do has paid for it technically too (really are not couples who look at it entirely like that, but my fun money pays things and it pays DVC add ons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
The whole "primary" membership drives us nuts too. Robin and I are co-owners, and we feel that we should be recognized as such. Like you mentioned, its petty and really does not impact anything....its just the principle of their practice.
It did impact today though. I'm got him his own MDE account today and decided he needed his own DVC account. They wouldn't let me get an activation code for him. I should've called back to pretend I was a guy but still. I know all his info, it's in my name too and wham, I'm denied from doing that.

I think we'll just type something up and sign it and send it in. Hopefully it won't hose anything up. Really stupid though, but was trying to do it so he could get his own digital card too without me having to photoshop one for him based on mine

They really do not need this primary thing when two names should be equal on the deed.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
It's Me
Grand Villa
 
It's Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Posts: 1,782
Default

Sorry, I do not know how this works either, or have any experience to help you. Though I am also curious also how this could get corrected.

When we first purchased, direct/in person, our guide asked who should be listed as primary. DH knew I would handle 99.99% of our trips and planning, and so he said to list me first.

However, when we received the documents in the mail, they had him first. We didn't bother with changing it, we just wanted to close the deal without delaying it further. But still kind of drives me crazy since he would have no clue how to use our points. Shoot, I don't think he has ever set up his DVC login in/account (and we've been owners since 2003)
__________________


It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 11,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Me View Post
Sorry, I do not know how this works either, or have any experience to help you. Though I am also curious also how this could get corrected.

When we first purchased, direct/in person, our guide asked who should be listed as primary. DH knew I would handle 99.99% of our trips and planning, and so he said to list me first.

However, when we received the documents in the mail, they had him first. We didn't bother with changing it, we just wanted to close the deal without delaying it further. But still kind of drives me crazy since he would have no clue how to use our points. Shoot, I don't think he has ever set up his DVC login in/account (and we've been owners since 2003)
I'll keep you posted. I have something we'll fax in per instructions.

Why on earth ask who you want as primary only to ignore it though? That's annoying.

We've been since 2004 and never thought a thing of it until today when I tried to set up my husband's account.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado
 
ermindy1133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,797
Default

Hope that this is an easy fix for you! Iím primary on our account. Like others have posted, my DH has no clue how DVC works and doesnít want to. He does the yard work, I do vacations. Just part of our ďdivision of laborĒ .
__________________
(ME, Mindy) (DH, Tim) (DS, Brandon) (DD, Emily, Emma, or Princess, lol!) (DSGF, Heather)
ermindy1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
It's Me
Grand Villa
 
It's Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Posts: 1,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I'll keep you posted. I have something we'll fax in per instructions.

Why on earth ask who you want as primary only to ignore it though? That's annoying.

We've been since 2004 and never thought a thing of it until today when I tried to set up my husband's account.
I guess it's a good thing my husband hasn't asked me to set up his account Because if I ran into issues, it would aggravate the life out of me. I have no patience for these kinds of things.
__________________


It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software