home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
happy heffalump
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Considering direct DVC purchase: what’s on the table?

Hey folks—
Been renting for a while. Have been considering resale DVC for some time and now considering small direct contract for immediate points availability and the perks. Never made contact with DVC direct sales before. What should I be considering/ what’s at stake when negotiating with Disney direct? Looking at SSR for low MF/ low cost pp/ low differential resale to direct. Thank you for all the education you already provided from a longtime lurker!!!
happy heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy heffalump View Post
Hey folks—
Been renting for a while. Have been considering resale DVC for some time and now considering small direct contract for immediate points availability and the perks. Never made contact with DVC direct sales before. What should I be considering/ what’s at stake when negotiating with Disney direct? Looking at SSR for low MF/ low cost pp/ low differential resale to direct. Thank you for all the education you already provided from a longtime lurker!!!
There is no negotiation with Disney, other than getting a UY you prefer. Even then you might not get the one you prefer.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
happy heffalump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
There is no negotiation with Disney, other than getting a UY you prefer. Even then you might not get the one you prefer.
Good to know I can relax then! I will come back if I have more specific questions. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

As far as timeshare salesmen go, the vast majority of DVC's are really nice. Don't be afraid to call and chat.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
happy heffalump

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
As far as timeshare salesmen go, the vast majority of DVC's are really nice. Don't be afraid to call and chat.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Crafty
Grand Villa

Direct purchases can be pricey, with the higher cost pp and the closing costs. It is tempting to go for lower cost options like SSR.

That being said, I would advise you to buy where you would like to stay, not where it is cheapest. In the long run, I believe that you will be happier.

If you have stayed at SSR and liked it there, the cheaper costs make it a win-win. If you are counting on using the seven month window to avoid staying at SSR, then don’t buy there.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
pdude81
Grand Villa

If looking at a first contract direct, SSR is a strong contender. IMO AKV should also be considered because you can almost always get SSR at 7 months and there are times you might want priority for AKV. It's not that SSR is a bad resort... I really like it. But I want to occasionally stay concierge at AKV or during the holidays, and to do that I need priority.

You can certainly get that with a resale contract later, but if any of those things matter to you now I'd spend the extra 20ish a point and have the flexibility up front. Then if you add on via resale later you can pick whatever the best deal is and not worry as much about the particular resort.

Good luck in whatever you choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
Direct purchases can be pricey, with the higher cost pp and the closing costs. It is tempting to go for lower cost options like SSR.

That being said, I would advise you to buy where you would like to stay, not where it is cheapest. In the long run, I believe that you will be happier.

If you have stayed at SSR and liked it there, the cheaper costs make it a win-win. If you are counting on using the seven month window to avoid staying at SSR, then don’t buy there.

Also this. If there is a place you want to stay, it's worth the money to not stress over what you can or can't get at 7 months.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
happy heffalump

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
If looking at a first contract direct, SSR is a strong contender. IMO AKV should also be considered because you can almost always get SSR at 7 months and there are times you might want priority for AKV. It's not that SSR is a bad resort... I really like it. But I want to occasionally stay concierge at AKV or during the holidays, and to do that I need priority.

You can certainly get that with a resale contract later, but if any of those things matter to you now I'd spend the extra 20ish a point and have the flexibility up front. Then if you add on via resale later you can pick whatever the best deal is and not worry as much about the particular resort.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Also this. If there is a place you want to stay, it's worth the money to not stress over what you can or can't get at 7 months.
Thanks for the input and for fishing out that quote for me! I sort of forgot that AKV is also such a good value retail and we love that resort. I didn’t love my stay at SSR but it was mostly because of the horrendous pullout couch and hoping that will be fixed in the refurb. But we loooooove AKV and would like to be able to do a concierge studio on points once in a while.

Thank you so much!
Old 12-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #9
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy heffalump View Post
Thanks for the input and for fishing out that quote for me! I sort of forgot that AKV is also such a good value retail and we love that resort. I didn’t love my stay at SSR but it was mostly because of the horrendous pullout couch and hoping that will be fixed in the refurb. But we loooooove AKV and would like to be able to do a concierge studio on points once in a while.

Thank you so much!
From what you have said, I would skip SSR and buy at AKV. I doubt your ability to get value or concierge when you want it, without owning at AKV.

If you want to stay at SSR in the future, that should not be a problem at 7 months.

Vacations are a luxury. Buy where you know that you love.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Buy where you want to stay.
Buy resale.
Only buy direct when resale is not possible.