home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
Rigby
Grand Villa

Default Looking For SWGE Planning Tips

In a couple of weeks I book our dining for our June trip to SWGE for a group that will be 4 adults and 3 kids and I was hoping to get some advice on planning our day. I know that Fast Passes are still up in the air but I'm curious about booking the cantina, droid build, and lightsaber experience. How long do those things take? Would you try to book them one right after the other? Do they book up super fast? The crowd I'll be with are not early risers so no rope drop for us. It's our friends first time to wdw and I'm planning all of it so would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited by Rigby; 11-11-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
walnuts24
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We just got back and did two mornings at SWGE. The first morning was the EEMH and we got there around 7 so that won’t be a good data point. The second day we got to the park right before open and did RNRCoaster at 9 and walked right into SWGE by 9:30 (no boarding group issue). The Millenium Falcon was about an 80 minute wait. I did it the EEMH and it definitely was not worth that wait so we skipped. We walked into the droid depot. When we were there you could just walk right up and build your droid. There is a reservation system but it didn’t seem like you needed it. The lightsaber definitely needs a reservation. We didn’t do that. The cantina is really cool and you need a reservation. One thing to note is that it is mostly standing room only and has a lot of mixed liquor drinks with very minimal food. They also have times so they shuffle you in and out. I liked it more for the “show” than the drink/food.

The QS food place was good. I got the chicken pita and it was my favorite QS meal in all of WDW. The blue milk is like a blueberry milk slurpee. Not great but way better than the green one that tasted kind of like flowers. Neither is worth the $7 price tag.

I have a feeling it is going to be way different once ROTR opens if you are going then.
walnuts24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Oga's is interesting, but don't set high expectations or you'll be disappointed. I expected more and it was just OK. Walked in twice (once just us and once with family to show them) and then cancelled the ADR we had.

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:10 AM   #4
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
droid build, and lightsaber experience
Don't book them all! If you grew up with the movies, then these are really cool experiences... We went to the opening in California and only did one light saber across two days, so it's not like it's a list of things you should book. I would pick one event to highlight your day and save the other for a next trip.

How long do they take? Well... 30 min'ish. But, there was over an hour build-up and a late start, and time talking to Batuu locals, so it was a bigger experience than the time in the room.

Oga's... Yeah... book that. Go in, get a drink. It won't take a lot of time.

Love going with first-timers. Don't plan too much! There is so much to take in just being there that you do not need paid activity after activity. Emphasize at most one build for each kid in your party... You'll have more fun enjoying the one experience than if you do it all.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Got back a couple of weeks ago. It is fantastic.

IF you (and your group) are big Star Wars fans......... plan a lot of time there. The land is rather large and there are 'details" to find everywhere. If RoR is open when you are there........ that will likely make the place far more busy. So plan for that.

We went full "in character" in Bounding that approached being costumes. Including with full 'backstories'. As one Batuu-ian resident said, "You appear to be beings that adhere to the 'old ways'." Our outfits were enough that they got us lots of photos taken by other guests, being mistaken for Batuu 'residents' by guests, and the absolute best part.,....... LOTS of attention from residents and Resistance and First Order folks. We stayed in character the whole time. First day (of 2) there was 13 hours straight.

I can't stress enough the importance of being willing to "play" with the immersion factor. It will up the experience immensely. And bound as much as you can....... you'll be glad you did. It was clear that residents and cast really zeroed in on people in any form of bounding.

The Savi's lightsabers are OK... but you can get better ones from third party suppliers (for a lot more money). The experience of building is half the fun.... and half the $200 price. They did that very well...it was fun. Reservations are a must.

The droids are nice..... but the build experience is very basic. The droids are well engineered and fun. We had reservations... but people were doing walk up.

Oga's is fantastic, particularly if you are in character. Reservations would be a good thing...but they were taking walk-ups too. We had a blast with the bartenders and cast members there. It needs more people in character though. Overrun by tourists from Earth. Be aware it is a BAR. They let kids in... but it is a BAR. A bar environment. It is loud. Can be raucous. It is playful. Drinks tend toward the 'wine cooler' type stuff and tend to be fruity and sweet. Didn't try the beers though. Fuzzy Tauntaun is good (your mouth will go numb). The Bespin Fizz is fun. The snacks are designed like most bar snacks... to make you thirsty. Also note... it is not 'cheap'....the two of us ran up a $100 tab fast.

Actually... NONE of Black Spire Outpost is cheap. easy to part with a lot of money there (See Disney's last profit statement).

best,

..................john

Last edited by WiltonJohn; 11-12-2019 at 02:35 PM.
WiltonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Rigby
Grand Villa

You all rock! Thanks for the tips. Think we'll book the bar and lightsabers and hope they announce fast passes soon.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
MMC1
Grand Villa

If you have reservations for Ogas Cantina , do they still make you stand in the entry line Q ?
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
If you have reservations for Ogas Cantina , do they still make you stand in the entry line Q ?
IF you mean the line right AT Oga's....... that was the case when we were there a couple of weeks ago. But we were in that line maybe 10 minutes at most.

If you mean to get into the whole "land"...... nope. The land was completely open when we were there.

best,

..............john