home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Default thoughts/observations from the rental front lines

lots of clueless folks, i mean really clueless, like after booking/sending cashier's check for christmas bwv studio within one week, they want to change reservation to first week in january..."it's showing up on the site."

lots of really short-stay requests (e.g., 1-2 nights)

lots of requests to break up already short spec ressie ("i just need1-2 nights...will you split").

lots of short-window requests (e.g., tonights, next week, next month)

bwv standard and bcv studios commanding highest rental prices...all you have to do owners is ask. $19-22+ (spec or custom)

fb is where many newbies land

"brokers have same reservation cheaper, just trying to help you" (no clue about availability issues...just go and plug in nights to get price)

want to use a charge card

want to make payments

want "what if i have to cancel"...even when offering one rebook option - want to assume virtually no risk.

ebay is dead

redweek is dead

prices/interest are generally stagnant, even here on mo. i look at the "for rent" board often and see mostly bumps by op...unless they are offering ridiculously low prices on distressed points; then there are lots of unfillable requests.

"i'm already booked at AOA...looking for a better deal, want to pay less than $200/night." (no matter the resort or season).

it's a pita...more so than ever before. i'm spending as much time if not more renting 1/2 the points as a few years back.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )

Last edited by DVCERSINCEDAY1; 11-11-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: i
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

I am only renting to friends I know or people I am comfortable with from this site. simply too much work and worry otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
lots of clueless folks, i mean really clueless, like after booking/sending cashier's check for christmas bwv studio within one week, they want to change reservation to first week in january..."it's showing up on the site."

lots of requests to break up already short spec ressie ("i just need1-2 nights...will you split").

bwv standard and bcv studios commanding highest rental prices...all you have to do owners is ask. $19-22+ (spec or custom)

"brokers have same reservation cheaper, just trying to help you" (no clue about availability issues...just go and plug in nights to get price)

want to make payments

want "what if i have to cancel"...even when offering one rebook option - want to assume virtually no risk.

ebay is dead

redweek is dead

prices/interest are generally stagnant, even here on mo. i look at the "for rent" board often and see mostly bumps by op...unless they are offering ridiculously low prices on distressed points.

"i'm already booked at AOA...looking for a better deal, want to pay less than $200/night." (no matter the resort or season).

it's a pita...more so than ever before. i'm spending as much time if not more renting 1/2 the points as a few years back.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

I have had luck on facebook. I can also place my confirmed Copper Creek Christmas ressie without restrictions. One needs to start early with posting for rentals.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Crafty
Grand Villa

I think that Disneyís constant price increases have caught up with them. Most peopleís incomes are relatively stagnant. I think that it is forcing people to look at shorter stays and smaller rooms.

Because, more and more, Disney is becoming a once in a lifetime experience, people really are clueless. It may be their first and only trip and they have absolutely no idea.

Also, most people donít understand the difference between timeshares and cash reservations. We have had this problem with our niece. She was miffed because we couldnít get her Thanksgiving week, when she mentioned she wanted it in late September. She pointed out that she could see cash availability online. No amount of explaining......

I am sorry that you are having rental problems. I think that you were wise to cut your points down. However, with all the investment Disney is making in the parks, I think that people will still crave trips to WDW in the long term. How they manage to afford it will continue to alter their vacation patterns.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Though I sympathize completely, you also make me oh-so-glad I'm not in that game.
"Sorry, but I don't care how much you offer. I don't want or need your money. You're not getting my BCV points."

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post

want to make payments

ebay is dead

redweek is dead

prices/interest are generally stagnant, even here on mo. i look at the "for rent" board often and see mostly bumps by op...unless they are offering ridiculously low prices on distressed points; then there are lots of unfillable requests.

Your experiences make me second guess my plans to rent out some points. We found ourselves having lots of extra points next year (much fewer WDW trips). Maybe it would be better to splurge and rent something that needs lots of points than to rent out points!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Your experiences make me second guess my plans to rent out some points. We found ourselves having lots of extra points next year (much fewer WDW trips). Maybe it would be better to splurge and rent something that needs lots of points than to rent out points!
Those cabins at CCV look very appealing! If we ever had excess points......
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
You can always use extra points to send your friends to The World.

Signed,
Your Pal
Boundin'

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
PAdisneylover1971
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default I was a clueless renter

Hi, I too once was one of those clueless renters. You have to cut some people a little slack when planning a Disney trip for the first time. Overwhelmed with information and everyone telling you thereís ďgreat dealsĒ out there have people in a frenzy to find the best place for the best price. I have rented 3 times thru Davidís Vacation Club and loved the experience. I would love to rent directly thru an owner but where do I begin that process with some level of security? My family and I have enjoyed Christmas in Disney World the last two years. We loved it! Starting our plans for 2020 Christmas in Aulani!! All the things we learned along this process have helped me become a more educated/understanding renter. We love Disney but canít afford to join DVC, and that stings because I really see the ďvalueĒ in it being so much more than just dollars and cents.
PAdisneylover1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
Norcal5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I have had good luck with RedWeek. The rentals I have done on this board seem to just break even for me. But since Iím usually renting just to get rid of the extra points I bought to give me some flexibility in scheduling my trips Iím okay with that. I donít think renters are informed about how much the Disney contracts cost, itís so different from other timeshare systems, you canít really blame them.
Norcal5 is offline   Reply With Quote