home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
disneyfreak89
Grand Villa

Default How to secure a personal 'folding' scooter in the parks?

Hi everyone!

We recently purchased a portable/folding scooter for DH (http://evrider.com/component/virtuem....html?Itemid=0)
to help extend his mobility when we go out and about. So far we've used it at city parks and malls.

We chose this particular scooter because it was easily transportable and light enough for both of us to be able to lift in and out of the car.

Naturally we'd like to take this with us to Disney. We don't see a problem at the resorts or restaurants but I envision a problem in the parks,
specifically, how does one SECURE this particular kind of scooter while on the rides? Because its fold-able and only weighs 56lbs, I can imagine anyone
could just walk off with it, no key required.

Is this just a hopeless endeavour or what?

2016 Post Stroke Trip Report

Honeymoon '89 - OFFSITE 1990 - FW; 1992 - Dixie Landings; 1996 - FW; 1999 - FW/CSR; 2001 - Dixie Landings;
2003 - FW; 2005 - POFQ/ POR; 2006 - Pop; 2007 - Pop/CBR; 2008 - SSR/OKW; 2009 - Pop/CSR; 2010 - VBR/WL/Pop;

2011 - SSR/BWV/AKV; 2012 - SSR/BWV/VBR/HHI; 2013 - POR/SSR; 2014 - OKW/BCV; 2015 - SSR; 2016 - Pop/SSR/AKV - 2018 - POR
disneyfreak89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
jflatto
Grand Villa

My first thought is a typical cable and lock used for bicycles that can you can use to secure the scooter in place. Would one of the U shaped bicycle locks also work to keep the unit from folding or being closed.

Does the company sell any accessories to lock the unit?

Keep in mind that cast members will occasionally need to move scooters that have been parked by their users and if yours is chained to something, it may not be appreciated. On other rides, the cast members will have you get off the scooter near the start of the ride and manually roll your scooter to where you get off the ride.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
My first thought is a typical cable and lock used for bicycles that can you can use to secure the scooter in place. Would one of the U shaped bicycle locks also work to keep the unit from folding or being closed..

My first thought was also to lock the scooter, but that is against Disney policy.

My second thought is why would you fold the scooter up? I would leave it fully opened, just like every other scooter. 56 pounds is still a lot of weight to try and carry out of a park.....you are talking like a mile of walking carrying a scooter.

By the way, we ran into someone in August that was using the foldable scooter. Amazing how small they can get and easy to fold up. Certainly makes getting on/off the buses a lot easier.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Suz333
Two Bedroom

Is the battery life long enough for how you tour the parks?

I saw a presentation on QVC recently about a similar sounding scooter, and I think they said it’s good for 2 hours of rolling time, and that it took 40+ hours to reach a full charge. My first thought was “that’s not going to work at Disney!”
Suz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I would do more like what we did with strollers TBH. Make it so someone wouldn't want to just take. Signs that aren't easily removable, balloons, nasty looking bag on seat or handlebars. That kind of thing. Can power be easily cut or battery removed? Would make it not as desirable to take if it didn't work. You cannot lock it and CMs may need to move it.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz333 View Post

I saw a presentation on QVC recently about a similar sounding scooter, and I think they said it’s good for 2 hours of rolling time, and that it took 40+ hours to reach a full charge. My first thought was “that’s not going to work at Disney!”

The specs for that scooter says it has a range of 10 miles per charge. Also, it says that the battery will be fully charged in 4-10 hours.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak89 View Post
Hi everyone!

We recently purchased a portable/folding scooter for DH (http://evrider.com/component/virtuem....html?Itemid=0)
to help extend his mobility when we go out and about. So far we've used it at city parks and malls.

We chose this particular scooter because it was easily transportable and light enough for both of us to be able to lift in and out of the car.

Naturally we'd like to take this with us to Disney. We don't see a problem at the resorts or restaurants but I envision a problem in the parks,
specifically, how does one SECURE this particular kind of scooter while on the rides? Because its fold-able and only weighs 56lbs, I can imagine anyone
could just walk off with it, no key required.

Is this just a hopeless endeavour or what?
My first thought would be to treat it like a regular scooter. It would be very unlikely, I think, for somebody to take, and very hard for them to get far with it if they did. You would surely discover it missing quickly enough and a quick call to security should get the thing spotted. Putting identifiable markers on it could certainly help, too.

My biggest contribution to this, though, is I'm so glad to hear you are thinking about Disney trips! I had thought that your last trip was your last one. So good to hear that things are moving along in this new way of life!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
Angel1123
One Bedroom

You could also attach a Tile to it so that if it does get “lost”, you can find it.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

I'm with Tom on this one. Someone carrying a 50+lb object through the parks is going to look awfully strange. As bulky as though things are, it would require two people or for the person to pick it up and carry it on their shoulders. Too conspicuous for a common thief. They'd be much better off just stealing someone's high end stroller. Much easier to sell a stroller on craigslist than a folding scooter.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
disneyfreak89
Grand Villa

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
My first thought is a typical cable and lock used for bicycles that can you can use to secure the scooter in place. Would one of the U shaped bicycle locks also work to keep the unit from folding or being closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
My first thought was also to lock the scooter, but that is against Disney policy.
Yes, we thought of locking it but then realize Disney probably wouldn't like that especially if they needed to move the scooter.

Quote:
My second thought is why would you fold the scooter up? I would leave it fully opened, just like every other scooter. 56 pounds is still a lot of weight to try and carry out of a park.....you are talking like a mile of walking carrying a scooter.

By the way, we ran into someone in August that was using the foldable scooter. Amazing how small they can get and easy to fold up. Certainly makes getting on/off the buses a lot easier.
So apparently this scooter can't be 'moved' without the key, and leaving the key wouldn't be an option for us BUT that being said, once folded, it can be easily moved if CM's needed to move it.

As for the fear of someone walking off with it, I do see your point, the 'average' person would not bother BUT since there are always bad people everywhere looking for an opportunity, I wouldn't want to give them one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz333 View Post
Quote:
The specs for that scooter says it has a range of 10 miles per charge. Also, it says that the battery will be fully charged in 4-10 hours.
Tom/Robin? is right, our scooter can do 8-10 miles which is plenty for us since our pace is slower now and we don't cover allot of ground in the 1/2 day we are in a park. I would bring our charger just in case though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I would do more like what we did with strollers TBH. Make it so someone wouldn't want to just take. Signs that aren't easily removable, balloons, nasty looking bag on seat or handlebars. That kind of thing. Can power be easily cut or battery removed? Would make it not as desirable to take if it didn't work. You cannot lock it and CMs may need to move it.
I like the nasty bag idea! As for the battery being removed, we haven't tried but I don't believe it can be since we have to plug into the base of the unit to charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
My first thought would be to treat it like a regular scooter. It would be very unlikely, I think, for somebody to take, and very hard for them to get far with it if they did. You would surely discover it missing quickly enough and a quick call to security should get the thing spotted. Putting identifiable markers on it could certainly help, too.

My biggest contribution to this, though, is I'm so glad to hear you are thinking about Disney trips! I had thought that your last trip was your last one. So good to hear that things are moving along in this new way of life!Dirk
Aw, thanks Dirk. Actually, DH isn't too keen on going again, but I'm doing my homework in the hopes that he can be persuaded to go back, then I'll be prepared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1123 View Post
You could also attach a Tile to it so that if it does get “lost”, you can find it.
That's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I'm with Tom on this one. Someone carrying a 50+lb object through the parks is going to look awfully strange. As bulky as though things are, it would require two people or for the person to pick it up and carry it on their shoulders. Too conspicuous for a common thief. They'd be much better off just stealing someone's high end stroller. Much easier to sell a stroller on craigslist than a folding scooter.
True!

2016 Post Stroke Trip Report

Honeymoon '89 - OFFSITE 1990 - FW; 1992 - Dixie Landings; 1996 - FW; 1999 - FW/CSR; 2001 - Dixie Landings;
2003 - FW; 2005 - POFQ/ POR; 2006 - Pop; 2007 - Pop/CBR; 2008 - SSR/OKW; 2009 - Pop/CSR; 2010 - VBR/WL/Pop;

2011 - SSR/BWV/AKV; 2012 - SSR/BWV/VBR/HHI; 2013 - POR/SSR; 2014 - OKW/BCV; 2015 - SSR; 2016 - Pop/SSR/AKV - 2018 - POR

Last edited by disneyfreak89; 11-09-2019 at 11:16 AM.
disneyfreak89 is online now   Reply With Quote