home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default Batuu, MNSSHP, Food/wine adventures

Has taken about 2 days to recover from our lightspeed fall break trip. Started drive down from middle TN last Wed. Made it to Tifton, GA, finished Thursday.
DH did the driving, despite his left arm in a sling. He fell during DD's school fundraiser, his 1st 5K, torn ligaments, and hairline fracture in scapula. Go back to ortho in 3 wks to see if healing, and what next step would be....hopefully not surgery. Drove the whole way back Sunday (about 11 hrs), kids had school on Monday, DH and I are federal workers, so he was off, and I"m on furlough.

First part of the TR will be devoted to SWGE, or as I kept saying, Batuu.

Up at 4:45 Friday AM, out the door around 5:15ish, through security, and in line (not short lines either) at the tapstiles around 5:30. Let in on main drag and held there a little while. Then began the march to SWGE. I am not sure if it was the First Order march, or the March in ROTS, but either way, you and hundreds of travelers are marching along and are being led around to SWGE, entered through the Resistance area, near Muppets, not through TSL.
While no tears were shed upon first glimpse of the Falcon....excitement was intense. Mostly after you get inside.
I love the Hondo Ohnaka animatronic. Even if you aren't familiar with him from Clone War/Rebels...its a FABULOUS animatronic, better than that overrated Shaman in Navi. Queue provides lots of great views of the top side and exterior of the Falcon , and chances for photos. Then the Dejarik table has great photo ops, as do the corridors. The corridors look JUST like the movies. I expected Han to come running up any moment...

First ride..DH and DS are handed the pilot cards. DS secured his spot as favorite child, by handing me the pilot card, as I'd been saying how I've waited 42 years (I was 7 in '77) to fly the Falcon. What a sweetie. So i'm left pilot, and DH is right pilot. Right pilot does need to make the jump to light speed, but DH just reached over w right arm (left arm in sling)
DS and DD were gunners, and we had no engineers, but that was rare, and I believe due to first thing in the AM, queues were not as organized yet, and we were rushed along
No time to acclimate, we take off....what a rush! As expected, I crashed a lot! About a minute or so into the ride, the left pilot needs to push a flashing button to hit the brakes. BE WATCHING for the light. I missed it, (and so did DS on the next run). LOVED the ride!
We got right back in line after the first ride. I was left gunner.
Total time for the 2 rides in the AM/rope drop. About 90 mins. We then got some grub, and came back for single rider line. This time I was engineer. I really enjoyed that position, as you need to be repairing the damage, and you fire the harpoon.
Overall, a very, very fun experience. DH and I both agreed it's a bit awkward trying to do your role, pay attention to flashing lights, and still look forward and enjoy what you are seeing/doing. I am not sure as engineer, I looked at the screen very much ,whereas pilot, I looked at the screen, and then missed some important flashing lights/maneuvers. I feel it's a ride you want to do many times, not just once, so you'll know what to expect the next time. maybe one time watch screen more, next time, do more buttons. Either way ,I LOVED it, and cant' wait to do it many more times in Nov.

Single rider line---ours moved kinda slow, and later in the day, it was backed up, and another time, it was not open at all. CMs were definitely trying to fill cabins by asking for parties of 2, etc, so you have to luck out and get odd numbered groups. Also, took awhile for me to meet up with DH and kids, as my group was delayed in boarding> I still think it's a good option, IF it's open, just make take more time than other rides.

More later, but wanted to get out our first impressions of Smugger's Run. DH and DS rode again Sat night. Oh, and the wait time Sunday (per the MDE app I kept checking on drive home ) got up to 125 mins....I think Friday and Sat, it hovered between 50-60 mins . I know it was holiday weekend.

I LOVE that there are no fastpasses. I hope that they keep it this way, and frankly, wish they'd make a few more rides like this. With no fastpasses, the queue and wait time is just that. No hordes showing up. Line is almost always constantly moving, unless the ride has issue. LOVED no FPs for this one
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Hope your Hubby gets better quickly.

We loved the ride too. You really do need to ride it a few times to get a feel for the whole experience. There is a lot going on and a lot to take in, which makes it a fun experience. Fastpass access will be coming, the line and MB readers are there and do work.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

As a non SW fan, I thought the ride was meh and a lot like Star Tours. I guess I'm just not the fan for this ride. My DS would LOVE it. I got to be the left pilot too. I thought the CM told us that the ride is pre managed no matter if we push the buttons or push the levers or not. Like it's fake and we really aren't doing anything. So I didn't really put my all into it. BUt BIL said we all stunk (DH was other pilot and SIL and BIL were the gunners) so maybe the CM told us we were actually managing the ride.

And we got in the gate right before 6am (like 5:52ish) and had to wait for in laws who walked in around 6:05. We rushed back to the ride and had a 60 min wait. It was Mon Sept 30. I think Mon is a bad day to do the EMH at HS as many folks are just arriving to the resorts (EMH is for resort guests only) on Sat or Sun and anxious to go. I'd think Sat might be a better day to do it with folks either just checking in or getting ready to check out. Wed or Thur might not be bad either.

Hope your DH is on the mend! One of my DDs broke her thumb right before a trip (HHI and WDW split) a few years ago. She was in a cast and had to get Xrays after trip to see it was healing and didn't need surgery. She healed just fine, thank goodness. Hoping the same happens for your DH.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection

Last edited by Lamima; 10-16-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
bakerworld
Grand Villa

I am beginning to think this ride is going to have too many moving parts for me .

At the same time Mission Space was way oversold IMO - although I've been told the ride has been was backed off from the original intensity.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Whoo-hoo, Jedimom3! Glad for your happy report!

Yes, left pilot needs to be prepared for “red button=brakes” and “blue button=boost.” The actions are announced verbally but with little time to react and no instructions on where to find either brakes or boost. It is a ‘learned behavior’ after those first couple runs.

Engineer is my favorite seat. I can favorably influence the ride but don’t have the pressure of being pilot, which I also enjoy. I pretty much *expect* to get two containers of coaxium on each run and check both the crew score (overall) and my individual score each time. Always looking for improvement ... and more credits from Hondo.

Also know that your crew score (overall) triggers different titles in the DataPad: Hot Shot, Marauder, Pirate and perhaps others. There are great (digital) reasons to play well!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
At the same time Mission Space was way oversold IMO - although I've been told the ride has been was backed off from the original intensity.
Mission Space has been greatly backed off from the original. We still enjoy it but are so glad we rode it when first introduced!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Thank you for the report! I enjoyed reading it.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Mission Space has been greatly backed off from the original. We still enjoy it but are so glad we rode it when first introduced!
Always good to hear because the first time I was terrified (had 'toss' bag in my hand). Since it wasn't bad, I rode the more intense side and it didn't feel any different (I even resisted holding the bag - although, I checked for it's existence, the same as i do every plane flight from PA to FL).

Smugglers Run just sounds like it has a lot going on. Lots of times after a ride I ask my husband to describe it to me and then we re-do it so I can see all the stuff he experienced.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
cvjw
Grand Villa

Thanks for the report on Star Wars land. We are going to early morning hours on Friday. We are excited to experience it!
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #10
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for the summary, so glad you enjoyed so much knowing how important it was to you from way prior to this even being an idea.

Best wishes to your husband for a complete and speedy recovery.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote